Need PC Tech Help? Post here.

Comments

• Tecumtha wrote: »
    i recommend buying a GPU for at least 150 dollars, if u can get something on ebay

nvidia 560ti

or amd hd 6850, 6870, or other 6800 series

for 150$ dollars or 100pounds

that will be great.

otherwise save more money.

For CF? I recommend you stop saying that to people.

For high end games? Go for it.
  • Giggletron wrote: »
    For CF? I recommend you stop saying that to people.

For high end games? Go for it.

How do you know if he doesn't want to play the new Crysis?

Windows7 will run a lot better too with a good GPU.

You don't have to agree with me.
    How do you know if he doesn't want to play the new Crysis?

Haha I dont ;) Im speaking in terms of Crossfire :D
    Haha I dont ;) Im speaking in terms of Crossfire :D

who knows, someday crossfire might have a patch that make it more like BF3 and uses all that GPU fancy rendering power... in the next 3 yrs?
  • Where would be a good start if I want to learn about building computers.(I know next to nothing).

Maybe a good, high-detailed guide or something?
    who knows, mayb crossfire will have a patch one day that make it more like BF3 and uses all that GPU fancy rendering power...

For an engine made in 1999 on a game developed in 2005-6? I doubt that xD

LikeASir wrote: »
    Where would be a good start if I want to learn about building computers.(I know next to nothing).

Take a look online. Im sure there are some courses you can do or self teach.

My knowledge comes from my University degree, experience and learning from people who know better than me.

My knowledge comes from my University degree, experience and learning from people who know better than me.

I'll try to pick up some courses on it in college then.
    And in the mean time I'll try to find basic tutorials.
  • LikeASir wrote: »
    Where would be a good start if I want to learn about building computers.(I know next to nothing).

roughly in this order

1. put cpu, ram on motherboard

2. put motherboard onto the case with screws.

3. screw in psu

4. screw in ssd or hdd, and dvd rom

5. put gpu onto motherboard.

6. put soundcard on MB if u have one otherwise use onboard one

7. hook up psu power cables to ssd hdd, gpu, dvd rom, Motherboard aka MB

8. connect SATA cables to all ssd or hdd, dvd, from MB

9. turn on power

10. insert windows 7 cd

11. install windows

12. wait for windows to finish installing

13. connect ethernet cable and download windows updates, all new drivers.

14. download CF and play

touch metal before u touch any thing to prevent static shock.

Let's call that a SUPER PATCH.
    roughly in this order

3. screw in psu

5. put soundcard on MB if u have one otherwise use onboard one

6. hook up psu power cables to ssd hdd, gpu, dvd rom, Motherboard aka MB

7. turn on power

6. insert windows 7 cd

7. install windows

8. wait for windows to finish installing

9. connect ethernet cable and download windows updates, all new drivers.

10. download CF and play

Id rather put the Motherboard into the case first.

Building PC's are simple. It's much like a puzzle. You just have to slot the components onto the right slots and screw in a few screws.
    Every component comes with an installation guide anyway.
    Id rather put the Motherboard into the case first.

Building PC's are simple. It's much like a puzzle. You just have to slot the components onto the right slots and screw in a few screws.
    Every component comes with an installation guide anyway.

i edited that list,

i forgot to write down sata cables connected to all ssd, hdd, dvd drives
    roughly in this order

3. screw in psu

6. put soundcard on MB if u have one otherwise use onboard one

7. hook up psu power cables to ssd hdd, gpu, dvd rom, Motherboard aka MB

8. connect SATA cables to all ssd or hdd, dvd, from MB

9. turn on power

10. insert windows 7 cd

11. install windows

12. wait for windows to finish installing

13. connect ethernet cable and download windows updates, all new drivers.

14. download CF and play

This looks good, but I want to know what certain parts do, how they do it, which parts are good(brand, version, etc...). I am very newbish to all this hardware stuff.
    This looks good, but I want to know what certain parts do, how they do it, which parts are good(brand, version, etc...). I am very newbish to all this hardware stuff.

http://www.passmark.com/

You can compare hardware here :)
    http://www.passmark.com/

You can compare hardware here :)

Okey so this site is good, i've been using it to compare the products in a computer for seeing if i should go prebuilt or build my own, but right now buying prebuilt seems to be choice.
  • Okey so this site is good, i've been using it to compare the products in a computer for seeing if i should go prebuilt or build my own, but right now buying prebuilt seems to be choice.

Depends. As shown above, you can get some amazing deals but pre-building is still slightly cheaper.
    Depends. As shown above, you can get some amazing deals but pre-building is still slightly cheaper.

It's very strange that pre-built seems to be a lot cheaper these days, it never used to be like that. :/
  • c0lder wrote: »
    It's very strange that pre-built seems to be a lot cheaper these days, it never used to be like that. :/

Yeah I know. Lucky Americans...

no problem, it is okay to be a newbie. we were all newbies at one time.

there are a few ways to learn:

1. you can hang around people with knowledge, in shops, or from school, or in forums online.

2. you can use google, youtube to search for parts reviews.

3. you can read wiki about them .

4. subscribe to magazines.

5. mess around your old pc

the pc hardware stuff is really not that hard to learn. the hard stuff is programming.

if you are really into computer, learn some programming and coding. if u get good that it, u can work on games like CF or Linux software etc.
  • Upgrade graphics card?

Can I upgrade my graphics card on my laptop?

CURRENT GRAPHICS CARD: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M 2GB graphics with Optimus

I use a Laptop Dell XPS 15:
    Can't remember all the specs but here's a shot at it from what I remember...
    i7 2760QM (2.5 GHz)
    Win7
    8GB Memory
    256GB solid state drive
    HD Display
    BlueRay player
    JBL 2.1 Speakers with Waves Maxx Audio 3 + Creative SoundBlaster X-FI MB 1.2
  • iJKay wrote: »
    Can I upgrade my graphics card on my laptop?

CURRENT GRAPHICS CARD: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M 2GB graphics with Optimus

I use a Laptop Dell XPS 15:
    Can't remember all the specs but here's a shot at it from what I remember...
    i7 2760QM (2.5 GHz)
    Win7
    8GB Memory
    256GB solid state drive
    HD Display
    BlueRay player
    JBL 2.1 Speakers with Waves Maxx Audio 3 + Creative SoundBlaster X-FI MB 1.2

not that im aware of.

that's why it is better to get a desktop if you are serious about gaming, unless you mostly play ghost mode, then a good laptop will do.

but u can't upgrade graphics card on a laptop and usually graphics card helps a little bit but as much as a faster CPU on this game.

u can tweak your pc for gaming if u havent done so. there are a few things u can do...
    not that im aware of.

that's why it is better to get a desktop if you are serious about gaming, unless you mostly play ghost mode, then a good laptop will do.

but u can't upgrade graphics card on a laptop and usually graphics card helps a little bit but as much as a faster CPU on this game.

u can tweak your pc for gaming if u havent done so. there are a few things u can do...

My brother uses my gaming desktop. I gave it to him. My laptop plays most games fine. Especially CF. But I was wondering for editing purposes, because obviously my graphics card was not compatible with certain programs.

How would I "tweak" for pc gaming... :)?

P.S. I do not want to overclock my laptop.
  • You technically can do it to certain laptops... i wouldnt recommend trying... you'll break it.

Overclock a laptop? Enjoy your $500 paperweight if you do. Either that or youll will be missing a few fingers when the thing explodes.

You can really tweak a laptop very well. You can try and increase performance by messing with windows settings but in the end if you're looking for a real difference you need new hardware.
    You technically can do it to certain laptops... i wouldnt recommend trying... you'll break it.

Overclock a laptop? Enjoy your $500 paperweight if you do. Either that or youll will be missing a few fingers when the thing explodes.

You can really tweak a laptop very well. You can try and increase performance by messing with windows settings but in the end if you're looking for a real difference you need new hardware.

Yup. That is why I mentioned, I do NOT want to overclock. .
    Use to use this guys info back in the day on my XP machine. Haven't tried with my current sees as how I'm not limited on anything.

All about editing services.msc: Enabling and disabling certain services on your computer.

Can help ya out in the long run.

http://www.blackviper.com/

DO TAKE CAUTION CAN **** THINGS UP!
  • Use to use this guys info back in the day on my XP machine. Haven't tried with my current sees as how I'm not limited on anything.

All about editing services.msc: Enabling and disabling certain services on your computer.

Can help ya out in the long run.

http://www.blackviper.com/

DO TAKE CAUTION CAN **** THINGS UP!

I know. Thank you for the website. It will help with a few things I was actually looking for answers to.
  • iJKay wrote: »
    I know. Thank you for the website. It will help with a few things I was actually looking for answers to.
    Not a problem. Figured it is a good site not many have seen. Have seen and used it for years.
  • I meant to say "can't"

You can try to squeeze a bit more fps out with stuff like that.. but not alot.
  • Any good GPU u know about? 100-300$ (not just for cf)
  • Danboard wrote: »
    Any good GPU u know about? 100-300$ (not just for cf)

What power supply you got? You might need a new one.
  • Danboard wrote: »
    Any good GPU u know about? 100-300$ (not just for cf)
    100 - 300. Is a wide range. LoL. 100 being mediocore to 300 being not the best but beastly. :)