Censorship Why?!?!?!

I asked this before, but i dont recall any formal answer by the GMs/Mods. Just wondering, but why are some words blocked/censored. It doesnt make sense. I understand why some swear words and some derogatory terms are blocked but...

Words like Hack, Hacker, Christ, Christmas, and phrases that contain these words shouldnt be blocked.

For example: "Get that Hat its awsome" ends up bleeping half the phrase out because it contains the word "****" between its and hats. This is a fail and a complete flaw on the programers part.

Im suggesting that we get rid of the whole censorship of words for three reasons. We arnt playing a game for little 12 year olds, People get around and say what they have to anyway, and its repeatingly annoying when your trying to have a decent convo with a friend.

Anyway, post your thoughts, rants, angers, QQing, etc on this thread. Want to see what you people have to say.

Comments

• I agree that "hack", "hacker" should be blocked, in fact they should go further and block the other common forms used such as "hak", "hakr", "hakin", "haking", "hak.s", and block "wall" as this is only ever used for QQ'ing in game.

They should do the same for other forms of "kick" too, as "kick" itself is censored.

And the same for "aimbot", "aimboting" "bot", "botting".

Either that or have no in game chat (preferable).
  • I agree that "hack", "hacker" should be blocked, in fact they should go further and block the other common forms used such as "hak", "hakr", "hakin", "haking", "hak.s", and block "wall" as this is only ever used for QQ'ing in game.

They should do the same for other forms of "kick" too, as "kick" itself is censored.

Either that or have not in game chat (preferable).

idk thats a little 2 far i think. no IG chat? is that really preferable? its not THAT bad really.

filter is stupid because its so easy to avoid it. Hacker is blocked, but u could just type H@cker or hack.er or w/e its so easy to avoid it. like so many other things in CF they put it in and it dosnt work.
  • idk thats a little 2 far i think. no IG chat? is that really preferable? its not THAT bad really.

Yea it's that bad, 80% QQ, %19 spam, 0.50% useless chit chat and 0.50% intelligent chat, beside if you want to chat you can Google for "online chat" or get AIM.

Their should only be team chat, who cares what the enemy is saying.
  • Yea it's that bad, 80% QQ, %19 spam, 0.50% useless chit chat and 0.50% intelligent chat, beside if you want to chat you can Google for "online chat" or get AIM.

iv made quite alot of friends from the other team based on chat. if u dont wanna hear them talk theres a wonderful thing called "block chat" u could try using that
  • Some words need to be blocked to keep the rating.

Not to mention all the endless harassment that goes on in-game. Without any censoring it would be outright horrible.
  • Fill in the blank is fun. If something silly gets censored like muffins, just add periods.
  • I suggest giving us personalized chat filters.
    for example; we type the word that we want blocked into our chat filter and then it appears as ??? if someone says it.
    It's really easy to get around the filter by simply adding a . in the middle of a word or adding an extra letter.
    i have little sisters that play this game and they don't need to be seeing all of this profanity.

Personalized Chat Filters.

look into it? :)
  • iv made quite alot of friends from the other team based on chat. if u dont wanna hear them talk theres a wonderful thing called "block chat" u could try using that

I don't think they should be heard period, personally. The chat in game breeds paranoia and a bad community that cannot accept they got defeated.

QQ'ing in game isn't needed nor is requesting kicks, after all - only your team can spec you that's why there should be harsher cendorship esp in this respect.

I don't get why you think being able to QQ or request kicks in game is a necessity.
  • C0NN0RJH wrote: »
    I suggest giving us personalized chat filters.
    for example; we type the word that we want blocked into our chat filter and then it appears as ??? if someone says it.
    It's really easy to get around the filter by simply adding a . in the middle of a word or adding an extra letter.
    i have little sisters that play this game and they don't need to be seeing all of this profanity.

Personalized Chat Filters.

look into it? :)

good idea. i like it, but z8 wont do it cause it will take some effort
  • lol almost no effort
    i think its a good idea
    DO IT!
  • I don't think they should be heard period, personally. The chat in game breeds paranoia and a bad community that cannot accept they got defeated.

QQ'ing in game isn't needed nor is requesting kicks, after all - only your team can spec you that's why there should be harsher cendorship esp in this respect.

I don't get why you think being able to QQ or request kicks in game is a necessity.

cause it isnt all QQ and requesting kicks. thers alot of ppl that use it to acctually talk.

again whats wrong with blocking there chat?
  • cause it isnt all QQ and requesting kicks. thers alot of ppl that use it to acctually talk.

Then there's no problem with harsher censorship to prevent QQ'ing is there? You can still "actually chat" if your chat doesn't consist of QQ'ing.

And whilst your chatting your getting shot in the ass:p
    I agree that "hack", "hacker" should be blocked, in fact they should go further and block the other common forms used such as "hak", "hakr", "hakin", "haking", "hak.s", and block "wall" as this is only ever used for QQ'ing in game.

Here's what I stated^

And the game Admins agree with the concept as users are blocked from QQ'ing and requesting kicks as "hack" and "kick" are censored words, they just need to take it a bit further and stop the common variations, it's not a big job just adding a few words to a filter to make it more robust if not perfect.

New players seeing this constant QQ would think the game is infested with hackers and would become paranoid having keep hearing this, which gives the game a bad image and is why the basic QQ was censored in the first place I suspect.

Personally I would like nobody to have in game chat besides teams, as in game chat does more harm than good. It's mostly used for QQ, requesting kicks and insulting players, and yea 'you can block them' but you'll hardly would be kicking yourself anyway, it'll be the other nub that does see it.
  • Then there's no problem with harsher censorship to prevent QQ'ing is there? You can still "actually chat" if your chat doesn't consist of QQ'ing right?

And whilst your chatting your getting shot in the ass:p

no but u were saying they need to remove chat not filter it more.
  • idk what this has to do with the conversation but i <3 whispering people on the other team saying "i hack", and when they say "kick connor hack!" i totaly deny it. then the whispers start again.
    :) its so funny
  • no but u were saying they need to remove chat not filter it more.

Nope I wasn't.
  • I don't think they should be heard period, personally. The chat in game breeds paranoia and a bad community that cannot accept they got defeated.

Nope I wasn't.
    clearly

C0NN0RJH wrote: »
    idk what this has to do with the conversation but i <3 whispering people on the other team saying "i hack", and when they say "kick connor hack!" i totaly deny it. then the whispers start again.
    :) its so funny

never tryed that but it sounds like something to do next time i c a low ranker in a pub ;)
  • Either that or have no in game chat (preferable).
    clearly

Either what?

I'll school you;)

Time for a tactical "oh I missed this thread":p
  • i like to have the chat but i like nucksfan idea
  • Either what?

I'll school you;)

Time for a tactical "oh I missed this thread":p

ya but u still said ud rather have it removed. which is what i was trying to prove in the 1st place.
  • ya but u still said ud rather have it removed. which is what i was trying to prove in the 1st place.

Nope, I said I would prefer it removed if they can't cut the QQ and requesting kicks:
    I agree that "hack", "hacker" should be blocked, in fact they should go further and block the other common forms used such as "hak", "hakr", "hakin", "haking", "hak.s", and block "wall" as this is only ever used for QQ'ing in game.

• Nope, I said I would prefer it removed if they can't cut the QQ and requesting kicks:

rather, and prefer is the same thing but ya ok. obviously they cant stop people from QQing so
  • obviously they cant stop people from QQing so

Nor can we stop people committing murder, assault, r@pe, car theft, burglary yet it doesn't mean you shouldn't take steps to cut it.

Kind of like the hacking problem with games, it doesn't mean you should just remove xtrap because we can't stop them.

The ability to act like a big mardy girl in game over imaginary "hacks" is not only giving the game a bad image (as this excuse is used every game) but it is creating a community of paranoid's and is effectively making the game a breeding for of noobs, whilst making being a 'good player' a bad thing.

Anyway, theres no harm adding a few words to a filter it may annoy some and cause major distress but so be it.
  • Nor can we stop people committing murder, assault, r@pe, car theft, burglary yet it doesn't mean you shouldn't take steps to cut it.

Kind of like the hacking problem with games, it doesn't mean you should just remove xtrap because we can't stop them.

The ability to act like a big mardy girl in game over imaginary "hacks" is not only giving the game a bad image (as this excuse is used every game) but it is creating a community of paranoid's and is effectively making the game a breeding for of noobs, whilst making being a 'good player' a bad thing.

Anyway, theres no harm adding a few words to a filter it may annoy some and cause major distress but so be it.

ya u can take steps 2 cut down on that stuff, but your post says u either want it all blocked or removed. that isnt cutting down its all or nothing
  • ya u can take steps 2 cut down on that stuff

And that's what they should do.

but your post says u either want it all blocked or removed

They should block all the most used variations and make it difficult for them to ruin the game, or remove chat between teams.
    its all or nothing

Is that a false dichotomy? or are you saying we can either have QQ or not, and you want it?
  • Is that a false dichotomy? or are you saying we can either have QQ or not, and you want it?

ur post.... pretty much said u want it all the QQ blocked or u want the chat removed. ahhh
  • Nope here's my post:

Basically that says in short - Make the current in-game censors that currently prevent QQ, stronger, to counter the most used variations of those words, and furthermore in it's current form without harsher censorship the in-game chat IMO is more harm than good and should be removed.

No where does it say 'all' QQ must be filtered, as that is impossible, it probably just seemed that way to you.
  • Nope here's my post:

Basically that says in short - Make the current in-game censors that currently prevent QQ, stronger, to counter the most used variations of those words, and furthermore in it's current form without harsher censorship the in-game chat IMO is more harm than good and should be removed.

No where does it say 'all' QQ must be filtered, it probably just seemed that way to you.

well if u meant that then the last like 20 posts were useless, im tired (of this back and forth, and of it being late on school night) so im done

PS: we should cw Dissident, http://clan.z8games.com/clanstat_cf.aspx?guildid=91376 try wispering tim, always on :D
  • well if u meant that then the last like 20 posts were useless, im tired (of this back and forth, and of it being late on school night) so im done

PS: we should cw Dissident, http://clan.z8games.com/clanstat_cf.aspx?guildid=91376 try wispering tim, always on :D

Confused who's Tim?
  • Yea it's that bad, 80% QQ, %19 spam, 0.50% useless chit chat and 0.50% intelligent chat, beside if you want to chat you can Google for "online chat" or get AIM.

amen, to all you said there. if i was fat enough, i d have that tattooed to my stommach.
  • About the censoring of hack, hacker, and all forms thereof. I think it would be amusing to have an auto-kick function so that if someone says any of those in-game they get auto-kicked out of the game. That might put a stop to it. Problem is there are so many variations and ways around it, but it would be a start!