Guide: Regarding Hacked Accounts

If your going a comment please read at least half. Don't "TL;DR" and post nonsense. This is supposed to help and shed light on this common issue.

It's something that everyone has heard of or "experienced" in the CrossFire community, however I am here to tell you that hacking an account from CF is next to impossible.





Why is hacking a CF account impossible?


Well to rephrase myself so I don't get trolled or hated on this thread right off the bat, I should acknowledge that hacking a CF account is technically possible, however there is a 99.94352% that your account wasn't hacked. Let me go through some points to support this statement and why it is true.

1. Email - This is the all important key to your account. Lose or forget it and your account is lost or at serious risk. You see you need it to change the password of your CF account. Not only that, but if it were changed by an intruder, you can use your email to retrieve the new password and then change it to a new password to your liking.

With this also in mind the "hacker" must not only "hack" the Z8 account, but also your email to have full control of your account. This is a time consuming process that is not worth the effort (see Why hackers don't hack Z8 accounts).

2. Security Question - A last line of defense. Remembering this extremely supports your inquiry to Z8 staff should you have to contact them about a lost account. It also enables the ability to change your email should your email fall into the wrong hands. Remember, you still need to confirm your new email when you request a change.

Believe it or not these two very basic defensive techniques are very effective and problematic. Together, they prove to be a wall and watchtower for trouble. A user can easily tell if their account is compromised (missing gp/zp, new password, etc) and can change it within minutes.

3. Email Security - The fact that a real hacker needs to go through not only the Z8 security, but also the email's (yahoo, gmail, Hotmail, etc) is again not worth the return (see Why hackers don't hack Z8 accounts).





Why hackers don't hack Z8 accounts


So I have a few "friends" that I was acquainted with in my high school days. Stereotypical hackers who were scrawny and greasy gents who retreated to the computer lab every lunch hour. I spent quite a few hours there working on AutoCAD assignments (my future career now) and I was one of the few kids nice to them. Long story short:

These guys are at the top of their game, brought down the school server twice, got into the local police department files (they were charged), and to spare you details, can actually hack a lot of things.

I recently asked if they could hack a CF account and after a day they got back to me and said "yes". However, they informed me that the amount of time and resources to actually complete the task wouldn't be worth it as there isn't a market for it. The only accounts they'd consider are 5 stars and/or lots of rare guns accounts. They'd rather hack World of Warcraft accounts (some worth $2000), PS3/Xbox Live accounts (credit card #), PayPal, and other online accounts that actually bring in cash.

Long story short, they confirmed that no "real hacker" would even consider wasting their time with a CF account.

Account Value - Just because you spent $1000 on your account it doesn't mean your account is worth that. An account is valued by its rank and more importantly, it's weapon arsenal (storage). From playing over the years and getting to know folks (in the market of CF accounts) the highest sold account I've heard of is $525. The user apparently spent $250 on it and had many rare seasonal guns, RPK Camo, and M4A1 Golden Tiger at the rank of Colonel. Unless your account measures up to that, your account isn't worth squat.

Again this confirms why hackers don't invest in Z8 accounts. The only viable reason is to have it for themselves.





So how did I lose my account?


So if it wasn't a hacker (which is the case), how did you lose your account? Well these are probably the most likely reasons.

1. Keylogged - Downloading hacks and illegal programs is not only against the rules and unfair play, but it also extremely puts your account at risk. It is really easy (word from my hack contacts) to add additional programs into a hack tool, which can give your computer a virus (loose bank info, hardware damage, personal accounts, etc) and steal your Z8 account info.

Downloading things like ZP generators and nade/farm bots can have the same outcome as well.

2. Account Sharing - Sure many players have done this, but this is a true test of friendship and/or trust. Giving more than your user and password (email and security) is literally handing the keys, license, and pink slip of your Ferrari. When you do it they equally own it and can easily use it to their own benefit.

3. Buying/Selling/Trading an Account - Doing this isn't only against the rules, but can be an easy way to be tricked and manipulated. There is so many loop holes and "fine print", which can throw you in the hole. A individual can "sell" without giving all the info and then snatch it back from you after a week. People "buying" can ask for info to test and that is the last day you ever had the account. Players trading are in the same boat. In other words https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F4qzPbcFiA

4. Scammed - Don't fall for free ZP, ZP generators, accounts, draws, codes, or leveling up services. Ignore these folks ingame unless they have a MOD name card (MODS do codes/draws/zp and gp awards, just to clarify).

Don't go on unofficial Z8/CF sites that advertise this. Not only is your account at risk, but also your computer itself.

Don't fall for emails from Z8 or a GM/MOD. THEY WILL NEVER EMAIL YOU. IF THEY WANT TO CONTACT YOU THEY'LL PM YOU ON FORUMS OR INGAME.

5. Forgot Info - Forgetting your email and/or security question is fatal should any of the above occur.





Protecting your account for the future


To prevent your account from being lost and I've decided to pass along some tips, which has kept my many online accounts safe thus far.

Username: Remember your username is not your IGN (In Game Name) or forum name. Keeping the IGN or forum name different from the user is always a safe practice. It isn't the end of the world if they're the same, but it makes the process easier for an individual attempting to steal your account.

Update Password - It is very important to have unique and challenging passwords for your account. Changing it every couple of months is a good habit to get into to keep your account safe. Problems often arise when players keep the same password for a year, especially if it is predictable.

Choosing a Password - Example: ilikerice is a terrible password. To improve it you could do something like ILikeRice1?. Even those little changes make a silly password into something effective.

Also, a password similar to your username is also not a good idea. I once had an account on a game called Nate 10567 with the password as nathan. It probably didn't take a world class hacker to crack that account, luckily I used the "email trick" (see Why hackers don't hack CF accounts - Email) and got my account back.

Lastly, keep the password of your email and CF account different! Having the same password forfeits your email as soon as your account falls into the wrong hands.

Email - As mentioned above this is your key to the account! Do not lose or forget it! When selecting or creating your email for your CF account I would choose two types of emails.

Your personal email is always a good choice. You can always unsubscribe from Z8 newsletters and Z8 Games doesn't sell out your address, therefore spam is not something to worry about. This often ensures that you don't forget your email since you use that particular one regularly.

Another choice (and best choice) is a "game email". This is what I personally use for all my online accounts. It is separate from my personal email, but I still use it enough to remember the info to it. Also, it is extremely effective to have 2 main emails. Should your Z8 account email fall into the wrong hands (even if it is unrelated to CF) I can do a similar process mentioned in "Why hackers don't hack CF accounts" with my email. Having my personal and game email linked (in regards to security and retrieval of passwords) is really effective. Even if you forget a password yourself, you have a way to retrieve it!

Security Question - It's more important than you may think! Please ensure that you know the answer and one you can remember! If you can keep it relevant to your life, this will help you remember it in the future. Also, as a general rule I never use caps in the security question. I don't know if Z8's account is cap sensitive, but to avoid this problem online I now avoid using caps.

Also, having a good security question enables cool things like running a clan!

Keeping Your Account - When it comes down to it you can have an elaborate setup of security, with long confusing passwords and usernames, sign in seals for email, and all the bells and whistles. However, doing anything mentioned in "Why did I lose my account" completely jeopardises your defenses.

Also, even writing down your info on paper is risky. That brother, cousin, or friend can always pose a threat if they see it. Remember, your citadel within the CF account is very defendable, but you should always treat it as if it were under siege. That way when the day of reckoning comes, you can deal with it effectively and emerge victorious.






In Summary


Z8 accounts do not get hacked. Unless you are a 5 star or have tons rare/zp guns, your account is not a target. In other words the term "1 in a 1000000" is quite true here, it is super highly unlikely that your account was legitimately hacked.

You lost it because either you forgot the info or you were (to put it blatently) a fool for giving out your info. Downloading illegal programs will also eventually bite you in the bum so if you value those cheeks, don't try.

If all else fails try to contact the Z8 Support Staff. They're there to help you, but remember they can only do so much and fixing your mistakes (giving out info, on purpose or not) is something they are not responsible for. If your account was legitimately hacked, I'm sure the GM's would be aware of a breach in the system and would do their best to correct it.

I know this should go in the guide section (maybe I'll get a sticky ^^) and I hope to update it later, but I wanted this thread to get more attention first.

Hope this helped. Keep in mind this is my opinion and you can have your own, but I hope you eventually realise that hacking CF accounts is more a myth than a fact.

Special Thanks - To the community members on their feedback, corrections, and inputs. Forumers in particular I want to extend my thanks are:

[Annomader
bigEsmallss
Gh0st_Slay3r
Lightseer
«1

Comments

  • Sticky please :D

    Nice thread.
  • ]zZ[]zZ[ Banned
    Was really interesting to read,
    good job Saint
  • CptQuackCptQuack Apprentice
    Awesome, its like you know me, (very personal)
  • Good one, it could be add to sticky ones.
    bldSAINT wrote: »
    Long story short, they confirmed that no "real hacker" would even consider wasting their time with a CF account.
    About that - some hackers do not break in to get money from it
    - but because they can... for loolz.. for troll... to annoy the owner... ect...

    But I guess that CF isn't that popular like WoW or other MMoRPg
  • ...


    It's lose, not loose....... =.=" It's driving me crazy....
  • [Annomader wrote: »
    Good one, it could be add to sticky ones.


    About that - some hackers do not break in to get money from it
    - but because they can... for loolz.. for troll... to annoy the owner... ect...

    But I guess that CF isn't that popular like WoW or other MMoRPg

    Ya I addressed this later on, but I'll add that in the earlier sentence as this is very true.
    Lightseer wrote: »
    ...


    It's lose, not loose....... =.=" It's driving me crazy....

    Nice catch! Ahaha, goes to show you that 1 in the morning essays/guides can pose spelling issues. Thank you, will correct immediately!
  • OH GOLLY! I wonder how Nightmare got his account! Oh, and it's been hacked you say? I CAN'T PUT MY FINGER ON IT.:rolleyes:
  • UpexUpex Margrave
    Too_Strong wrote: »
    OH GOLLY! I wonder how Nightmare got his account! Oh, and it's been hacked you say? I CAN'T PUT MY FINGER ON IT.:rolleyes:

    lol Jew ^_^

    OT : Good Guide :p
  • AchmadPOPa7aAchmadPOPa7a Royal Vizier
    Very nice guide! Thanks! :)
  • So true.
  • NonnenOldNonnenOld Royal Heir
    Very nice, going to stick this later in the guide section, so all those people who mainly conern this read it in the barracks. :)
  • People still dumb enough to actually lose their accounts? xD

    This is my almighty guide to not losing your account -

    Dont be a dumb ass.

    Amazing huh?

    On a seriously note probably add to your OP that using the same passwords for many different things is also a silly idea.

    If you sign up for some website with the same email address as you use for CF (or any other accounts) and have the same password for that site then you have basically given access to all your different accounts if you have kept the account confirmation emails for anything.
  • People still dumb enough to actually lose their accounts? xD

    This is my almighty guide to not losing your account -

    Dont be a dumb ass.

    Amazing huh?

    On a seriously note probably add to your OP that using the same passwords for many different things is also a silly idea.

    If you sign up for some website with the same email address as you use for CF (or any other accounts) and have the same password for that site then you have basically given access to all your different accounts if you have kept the account confirmation emails for anything.

    Very true, I always assume that people wouldn't do that, but that isn't the case is it. I'll try to fit this in when I get a chance!

    Any other inputs are welcome and I'll do my best to incorporate them :)
  • you can also lose your account by using those zp generators on youtube :)
  • I have to be lt or higher for free zp? Easy enough. Oh and needs my sq? Done! Now just wait for my free.... What the use password incorrect??? *cf forums - barracks* I got hacked now what????


    Lol, I like it saint! We can now just link people here when those threads start
  • DextenALDextenAL Knight-Errant
    Well written! See so many times people whining about getting their account hacked.
    Deserves the sticky it'll get.
  • you can also lose your account by using those zp generators on youtube :)

    Ah good addition. I'll add this to the thread. With the community's input, I should creating a section to give you guys credit!
    I have to be lt or higher for free zp? Easy enough. Oh and needs my sq? Done! Now just wait for my free.... What the use password incorrect??? *cf forums - barracks* I got hacked now what????


    Lol, I like it saint! We can now just link people here when those threads start
    DextenAL wrote: »
    Well written! See so many times people whining about getting their account hacked.
    Deserves the sticky it'll get.

    Thanks, exactly what I hope it will be used for.

    I recently added the "Protecting your account for the future" section. I believe this is a good addition to the thread.
  • NonnenOldNonnenOld Royal Heir
    Stickied. :)

    Good job.
  • bldSAINT wrote: »
    If your going a comment please read at least half. Don't "TL;DR" and post nonsense. This is supposed to help and shed light on this common issue.

    It's something that everyone has heard of or "experienced" in the CrossFire community, however I am here to tell you that hacking an account from CF is next to impossible.





    Why is hacking a CF account impossible?


    Well to rephrase myself so I don't get trolled or hated on this thread right off the bat, I should acknowledge that hacking a CF account is technically possible, however there is a 99.94352% that your account wasn't hacked. Let me go through some points to support this statement and why it is true.

    1. Email - This is the all important key to your account. Lose or forget it and your account is lost or at serious risk. You see you need it to change the password of your CF account. Not only that, but if it were changed by an intruder, you can use your email to retrieve the new password and then change it to a new password to your liking.

    With this also in mind the "hacker" must not only "hack" the Z8 account, but also your email to have full control of your account. This is a time consuming process that is not worth the effort (see Why hackers don't hack Z8 accounts).

    2. Security Question - A last line of defense. Remembering this extremely supports your inquiry to Z8 staff should you have to contact them about a lost account. It also enables the ability to change your email should your email fall into the wrong hands. Remember, you still need to confirm your new email when you request a change.

    Believe it or not these two very basic defensive techniques are very effective and problematic. Together, they prove to be a wall and watchtower for trouble. A user can easily tell if their account is compromised (missing gp/zp, new password, etc) and can change it within minutes.

    3. Email Security - The fact that a real hacker needs to go through not only the Z8 security, but also the email's (yahoo, gmail, Hotmail, etc) is again not worth the return (see Why hackers don't hack Z8 accounts).





    Why hackers don't hack Z8 accounts


    So I have a few "friends" that I was acquainted with in my high school days. Stereotypical hackers who were scrawny and greasy gents who retreated to the computer lab every lunch hour. I spent quite a few hours there working on AutoCAD assignments (my future career now) and I was one of the few kids nice to them. Long story short:

    These guys are at the top of their game, brought down the school server twice, got into the local police department files (they were charged), and to spare you details, can actually hack a lot of things.

    I recently asked if they could hack a CF account and after a day they got back to me and said "yes". However, they informed me that the amount of time and resources to actually complete the task wouldn't be worth it as there isn't a market for it. The only accounts they'd consider are 5 stars and/or lots of rare guns accounts. They'd rather hack World of Warcraft accounts (some worth $2000), PS3/Xbox Live accounts (credit card #), PayPal, and other online accounts that actually bring in cash.

    Long story short, they confirmed that no "real hacker" would even consider wasting their time with a CF account.

    Account Value - Just because you spent $1000 on your account it doesn't mean your account is worth that. An account is valued by its rank and more importantly, it's weapon arsenal (storage). From playing over the years and getting to know folks (in the market of CF accounts) the highest sold account I've heard of is $525. The user apparently spent $250 on it and had many rare seasonal guns, RPK Camo, and M4A1 Golden Tiger at the rank of Colonel. Unless your account measures up to that, your account isn't worth squat.

    Again this confirms why hackers don't invest in Z8 accounts. The only viable reason is to have it for themselves.





    So how did I lose my account?


    So if it wasn't a hacker (which is the case), how did you lose your account? Well these are probably the most likely reasons.

    1. Keylogged - Downloading hacks and illegal programs is not only against the rules and unfair play, but it also extremely puts your account at risk. It is really easy (word from my hack contacts) to add additional programs into a hack tool, which can give your computer a virus (loose bank info, hardware damage, personal accounts, etc) and steal your Z8 account info.

    Downloading things like ZP generators and nade/farm bots can have the same outcome as well.

    2. Account Sharing - Sure many players have done this, but this is a true test of friendship and/or trust. Giving more than your user and password (email and security) is literally handing the keys, license, and pink slip of your Ferrari. When you do it they equally own it and can easily use it to their own benefit.

    3. Buying/Selling/Trading an Account - Doing this isn't only against the rules, but can be an easy way to be tricked and manipulated. There is so many loop holes and "fine print", which can throw you in the hole. A individual can "sell" without giving all the info and then snatch it back from you after a week. People "buying" can ask for info to test and that is the last day you ever had the account. Players trading are in the same boat. In other words https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F4qzPbcFiA

    4. Scammed - Don't fall for free ZP, ZP generators, accounts, draws, codes, or leveling up services. Ignore these folks ingame unless they have a MOD name card (MODS do codes/draws/zp and gp awards, just to clarify).

    Don't go on unofficial Z8/CF sites that advertise this. Not only is your account at risk, but also your computer itself.

    Don't fall for emails from Z8 or a GM/MOD. THEY WILL NEVER EMAIL YOU. IF THEY WANT TO CONTACT YOU THEY'LL PM YOU ON FORUMS OR INGAME.

    5. Forgot Info - Forgetting your email and/or security question is fatal should any of the above occur.





    Protecting your account for the future


    To prevent your account from being lost and I've decided to pass along some tips, which has kept my many online accounts safe thus far.

    Username: Remember your username is not your IGN (In Game Name) or forum name. Keeping the IGN or forum name different from the user is always a safe practice. It isn't the end of the world if they're the same, but it makes the process easier for an individual attempting to steal your account.

    Update Password - It is very important to have unique and challenging passwords for your account. Changing it every couple of months is a good habit to get into to keep your account safe. Problems often arise when players keep the same password for a year, especially if it is predictable.

    Choosing a Password - Example: ilikerice is a terrible password. To improve it you could do something like ILikeRice1?. Even those little changes make a silly password into something effective.

    Also, a password similar to your username is also not a good idea. I once had an account on a game called Nate 10567 with the password as nathan. It probably didn't take a world class hacker to crack that account, luckily I used the "email trick" (see Why hackers don't hack CF accounts - Email) and got my account back.

    Lastly, keep the password of your email and CF account different! Having the same password forfeits your email as soon as your account falls into the wrong hands.

    Email - As mentioned above this is your key to the account! Do not lose or forget it! When selecting or creating your email for your CF account I would choose two types of emails.

    Your personal email is always a good choice. You can always unsubscribe from Z8 newsletters and Z8 Games doesn't sell out your address, therefore spam is not something to worry about. This often ensures that you don't forget your email since you use that particular one regularly.

    Another choice (and best choice) is a "game email". This is what I personally use for all my online accounts. It is separate from my personal email, but I still use it enough to remember the info to it. Also, it is extremely effective to have 2 main emails. Should your Z8 account email fall into the wrong hands (even if it is unrelated to CF) I can do a similar process mentioned in "Why hackers don't hack CF accounts" with my email. Having my personal and game email linked (in regards to security and retrieval of passwords) is really effective. Even if you forget a password yourself, you have a way to retrieve it!

    Security Question - It's more important than you may think! Please ensure that you know the answer and one you can remember! If you can keep it relevant to your life, this will help you remember it in the future. Also, as a general rule I never use caps in the security question. I don't know if Z8's account is cap sensitive, but to avoid this problem online I now avoid using caps.

    Also, having a good security question enables cool things like running a clan!

    Keeping Your Account - When it comes down to it you can have an elaborate setup of security, with long confusing passwords and usernames, sign in seals for email, and all the bells and whistles. However, doing anything mentioned in "Why did I lose my account" completely jeopardises your defenses.

    Also, even writing down your info on paper is risky. That brother, cousin, or friend can always pose a threat if they see it. Remember, your citadel within the CF account is very defendable, but you should always treat it as if it were under siege. That way when the day of reckoning comes, you can deal with it effectively and emerge victorious.






    In Summary


    Z8 accounts do not get hacked. Unless you are a 5 star or have tons rare/zp guns, your account is not a target. In other words the term "1 in a 1000000" is quite true here, it is super highly unlikely that your account was legitimately hacked.

    You lost it because either you forgot the info or you were (to put it blatantly) a fool for giving out your info. Downloading illegal programs will also eventually bite you in the bum so if you value those cheeks, don't try.

    If all else fails try to contact the Z8 Support Staff. They're there to help you, but remember they can only do so much and fixing your mistakes (giving out info, on purpose or not) is something they are not responsible for. If your account was legitimately hacked, I'm sure the GM's would be aware of a breach in the system and would do their best to correct it.

    I know this should go in the guide section (maybe I'll get a sticky ^^) and I hope to update it later, but I wanted this thread to get more attention first.

    Hope this helped. Keep in mind this is my opinion and you can have your own, but I hope you eventually realise that hacking CF accounts is more a myth than a fact.

    Special Thanks - To the community members on their feedback, corrections, and inputs. Forumers in particular I want to extend my thanks are:

    [Annomader
    bigEsmallss
    Gh0st_Slay3r
    Lightseer

    Respect! Very good job!
  • CFGuCFGu Holy Mage
    Good job Saint on the thread :]
  • UpexUpex Margrave
    Good job and congratz for the sticky :p
  • is this true that you can get 1000000 GP? in crossfire
  • johnziel wrote: »
    is this true that you can get 1000000 GP? in crossfire

    Yes, you can win 1000000 GP in ZP crates. It is rare, but possible :)
  • Was a good read. Well written indeed.

    Imo it's all about making good decisions and such. And yes, being responsible.
  • hola

    como puedo ver mi correo se me olvido y kiero cambiarle la clave
  • Ruben099 wrote: »
    como puedo ver mi correo se me olvido y kiero cambiarle la clave

    English posts only.
  • Nice Thread..
  • Ruben099 wrote: »
    como puedo ver mi correo se me olvido y kiero cambiarle la clave

    "I can see my mail as I forgot and I want to change the key"

    Haré mi mejor esfuerzo para entender su pregunta. Perdona el español como su línea traducida. Si has olvidado tu email trate de enviar un ticket de soporte (enlace más abajo) y declarar su pregunta de seguridad dentro de su apelación. Si no recuerdas tu seguridad es posible que desee crear otra cuenta como la actual ya no es seguro.

    http://support.z8games.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit

    "I will do my best to understand your question. Forgive the Spanish as its translated online. If you forgot your email try to send in a support ticket (link below) and state your security question within your appeal. If you can't remember your security you may want to create another account as your current one is no longer safe."
  • My account

    nice tread!good job!
  • i'am new member thanks alot!
Sign In or Register to comment.