AWM / Sniping totally out of proportion

There's been lots of talk about over-powered guns and noobs using them, ScarLight, M12s etc

The obvious elephant in the room no one mentions is the AWM.

The way this gun can be used in game bears no resemblance at all to the use of a long rifle with scope, let alone a snipers rifle with weighted barrel and front bi-pod (legs).

Then to add to the 'unreality' the AWM is calibrated for one shot.

No long barrel rifle with a scope can be used the way these are being used at the moment - a scope shot needs fore/aft alignment setup - a weighted weapon like an AWM requires barrel balancing before this alignment can occur. Jumping sideways, spinning and shooting then 1 hit killing do not fit this picture but because the weapon can be used like this in game the result creates a distortion in game-play. Frankly, there isn't a rifle with this configuration that can be used in this manner in the real world - let alone any heavy long barrel sniping rifle!!

Its time to re-examine the 'engineering' of this weapon's use and bring it back into line with other weapons (and reality).

IMO, this weapon in current configuration is ruining game-play - but I know that won't be a popular suggestion - then again, of course people will want to preserve its advantage - so in advance, lets point out that a 'defensive' reaction to support the status quo is not objective and is simply a selfish subjective response.

Players don't like the M12s because its overpowered - how about we simply use the same criteria - and recognise that many people use it in an attempt to neutralise the advantage provided by other weapons - such as AWM.

Nerf the AWM !!
How about no kill ability without a timed pause of 'stillness' pre-shot - and remove the assault rifle use of it at close quarters - because that is completely ridiculous :)

Comments

• no need to nerf. theres r93 which is faster at reloading and slightly stronger.
  • Lol , if u wanna ***** about the awm being OP go play some battlefield
  • suiles wrote: »
    so your saying the awm is overpowered?

I'm saying its in-game use is totally unrealistic and out of synch in terms of game-play engineering with other weapons
    Not denying that in proper usage its a 1 hit kill weapon - although in real world that is above the knees only, as its the shock-wave that kills - but I'm saying its usage in game bears no resemblance to the real world use of this weapon.
  • J4mmer wrote: »
    I'm saying its in-game use is totally unrealistic and out of synch in terms of game-play engineering with other weapons
    Not denying that in proper usage its a 1 hit kill weapon - although in real world that is above the knees only, as its the shock-wave that kills - but I'm saying its usage in game bears no resemblance to the real world use of this weapon.
    so short said OP....
    so short said OP....

well i relate OP to the power of the round, but if u mean the whole picture of gun usage, then yeah, OP

edit: plus of course fact that in game u can 1 hit someone by hitting lower leg to foot - which is def OP
    well i relate OP to the power of the round, but if u mean the whole picture of gun usage, then yeah, OP

edit: plus of course fact that in game u can 1 hit someone by hitting lower leg to foot - which is def OP
    well i dont like it that there are 1-hit kill snipers but what do you mean with
    'plus of course fact that in game u can 1 hit someone by hitting lower leg to foot - which is def OP'?
    well i dont like it that there are 1-hit kill snipers but what do you mean with
    'plus of course fact that in game u can 1 hit someone by hitting lower leg to foot - which is def OP'?

I mean the gun 1 hit kills below the knee - even on foot/ankle, which is just plain wrong

Well you just have to face the fact that its a game. When you die in real life you don't respawn 3 seconds later either.
  • Nightlie wrote: »
    Well you just have to face the fact that its a game. When you die in real life you don't respawn 3 seconds later either.

i think we all know its a game - so that comment doesn't add anything

its in game relativity and a degree of engineering consistency that is the point being discussed here
  • First things first, this is a video game and there will always be some fiction in it. For instance, I seriously doubt there is a such thing as quick-scoping. Another thing, we don't switch to our knife after a shot in real life. Look at call of duty, same situation occuring.
  • I completely agree on the AWM (and other 1-hit kill to the body sniper rifle like it) is overpowered. Sniping is no longer "aiming over long range" but rather "blast your cannon at your opponent".

Quickscoping is used to bypass the inaccuracy of the rifle while out of scope, and the scope is rarely used to actually aim. And lets be honest, if you are going to do 100 HP damage anywhere on the body other than the legs, aiming pretty much becomes obsolete.

And to make matters worse. If you actually DO use the scope the way it was intended, you get insulted by 9 out of 10 players for being a "hardscoper". Like pressing the Q button after each shot suddenly makes a superior sniper.
  • Even though the AWM is a one hit kill, if you play strategically you can pretty much destroy someone with an AWM because by the time they've shot and missed you, you could have hit them with enough bullets into them to kill them. The AWM is fine as it is, don't try and change it.
  • Nerf it !!!
    DerWolFeh wrote: »
    Even though the AWM is a one hit kill, if you play strategically you can pretty much destroy someone with an AWM because by the time they've shot and missed you, you could have hit them with enough bullets into them to kill them. The AWM is fine as it is, don't try and change it.

With all due respect, you're missing the point - sniper rifles cannot be used in this manner! Its a distortion in the game that creates in-balance - and really, it should be fixed. Its not just a question of one hit kill, its much more than that - its simply not possible to use a long barrel heavily weighted rifle in this manner - its balance is designed to utilise the front legs or some other 'rest' for starters. There aren't even any maps in CF where a sniper WOULD use such a weapon, all the maps are small - the AWM is designed to kill over looooong distances.

So much has been said about the scar light and m12s - whereas their 'game engineering' is much more realistic than what we see with the AWM.

As Frecklez said ::
    Sniping is no longer "aiming over long range" but rather "blast your cannon at your opponent".

A sniper rifle used as an assault weapon??!! You have to be kidding ! Nerf it ! Or remove it completely.
    As Frecklez said ::
    Sniping is no longer "aiming over long range" but rather "blast your cannon at your opponent".

A sniper rifle used as an assault weapon??!! You have to be kidding ! Nerf it ! Or remove it completely.

dont remove it just nerf it. i would say like 90-95 hp.
    i so agree with both of you about that it isnt a sniper but a cannon.
    also its allways so funny to me if someone say 'im a pro sniper when he use a awm'
    and the fact that your not really allowed (or your a noob) to use a scar light or m12 so why a sniper that allways do 1 hit on the upper body.
    but it is a fact if there wont be snipers with 'one hit kill on the upper body' the snipers wont be seen that much anymore.
    if you really snipe then get the balls to use some other sniper then a one hit on the upper body. also why do some people on counter strike servers dont allow people to use that sniper that do one hit? because its unfair. its just a fact that you dont need a real sniper skill for a one hit kill on the upper body.
    Nightlie wrote: »

yes true but in real life you also dont die of 1 hit on your arm.
  • I find it utterly hilarious when I'm called a noob when using my PSG-1 RD in Sniper-only matches, when everyone else is using AWMs, DSR-1s, Fr-F2s or R93s.
  • Frecklez wrote: »
    I find it utterly hilarious when I'm called a noob when using my PSG-1 RD in Sniper-only matches, when everyone else is using AWMs, DSR-1s, Fr-F2s or R93s.

That reminds me of a funny story.
    Was using SL8 in TDM prison on GR when one of the BL calls a "SL8" noob, I was 12/7 at the time. So I kill them and TAKE their DSR-1 and just go on a roll getting multikill after multikill before I died. My score was 32/8 after that and the BL player was hack accusing me like crazy XD.

Got the Sl8 because it had similar stats to the VSK, sadly it has much higher recoil making it very hard to use. (Heavy, inaccurate, and high recoil).
  • I played a long time ago a snd only sniper game with my psg 1 rd
    I had around 13/4 and someone of the other team said half-auto sniper noob..
    He was using awm camo and he QQed about my non one hit sniper ?
  • You complain that the way snipers are used isn't realistic, yet you don't care if one can run easily after getting shot in the legs by a rifle?
    It's a game, made for enjoyment. Your suggestion would only change snipers into camping hardscopers IMO, which would bring even more QQing in-game.
  • zaref4ever wrote: »
    if u don't like awm don't use it
    It's not that we don't like the AWM. We generally just don't like the people, who consider themselves pro snipers, while all they do is spray-quickscope 100 HP damage doing rounds at ya. It's these kind of so called pros that come up with insults like "Hardscoper", "Camper", or "Automatic sniper noob" when you kill them.
    I played a long time ago a snd only sniper game with my psg 1 rd
    I had around 13/4 and someone of the other team said half-auto sniper noob..
    He was using awm camo and he QQed about my non one hit sniper ?
    I usually get kicked from Sniper-only SnD for using a PSG-1 RD against AWMers.
    You complain that the way snipers are used isn't realistic, yet you don't care if one can run easily after getting shot in the legs by a rifle?
    It's a game, made for enjoyment. Your suggestion would only change snipers into camping hardscopers IMO, which would bring even more QQing in-game.
    Both camping and hardscoping is what is considered real sniping. Snipers aren't suppose to be rushing to the front line of battle and use their rifle like it was a shotgun, which basically quickscoping is.

It's the false notion that you are pro when you quickscope with an AWM, that is ruining sniping, because it will lead to noobs like you calling people camping hardscopers for using their rifle the way it was intended.
    dont remove it just nerf it. i would say like 90-95 hp.

If they did this then it'd make the AWM the same as the druganov which no one uses for precisely that reason, people use the AWM because they want a one hit kill. You have to realise this is a game, and all games are created differently and you just have to adapt to that. If you don't like the way you snipe on this game go and play a different one.
    The AWM is fine as it is.
  • Frecklez wrote: »
    Both camping and hardscoping is what is considered real sniping. Snipers aren't suppose to be rushing to the front line of battle and use their rifle like it was a shotgun, which basically quickscoping is.

It's the false notion that you are pro when you quickscope with an AWM, that is ruining sniping, because it will lead to noobs like you calling people camping hardscopers for using their rifle the way it was intended.

I'm not complaining about the camping and hardscoping part, I'm saying that the constant QQing from people is very annoying, thus forcing everyone to stop having the choice to do both QS and HS will most likely bury sniping in game.
  • DerWolFeh wrote: »
    If they did this then it'd make the AWM the same as the druganov which no one uses for precisely that reason, people use the AWM because they want a one hit kill. You have to realise this is a game, and all games are created differently and you just have to adapt to that. If you don't like the way you snipe on this game go and play a different one.

"you have to realise this is a game"... really, is that the best you've got?

UM, that point has been acknowledged several times !!!!! .... And this is a game forum's suggestion thread, the notion is that people present and discuss ideas for enhancing and modifying the game. We don't ALL have to be Lemmings and blindly follow ...

This game evolves constantly, new weapons, new characters, new maps, even new gameplay context (such as escape) ...there is plenty that can be fine tuned along the way, and this is the exact forum to raise issues and request changes.

However, your comment DOES serve to prove the point about how distorted the use of the AWM is - ie. its distorted use as a 1 hit kill weapon. And yet I'm guessing that you hate the M12s and SL, you probably call it skill light noob weapon ...

You'd really hate my M4A1 Spring then cos it eats snipers for breakfast. The Springs wall-bang is so strong and the gun so accurate that a bullet fired through the doors from B courtyard at Black Widow to the underside of the Catwalk will still do full damage and a head-shot will kill with a single round. Ohh, don't you have one... you better go and play another game then.

The one common thread I've noticed from 1 hit kill AWM snipers is that they hate ANY gun that can attack them back - and they hate SMG's in particular, especially M12s and Kriss that can be used to deliver a high impact lethal slice - anyone caught using an SMG is called noob. Its just another example of how the AWM has distorted the game - maybe it just attracts a bad crowd?

Sorry mate, but if you haven't noticed how the AWM has distorted and created in-balance in gameplay then you really haven't been paying attention, or lack the ability to look objectively at what is going on.

It might surprise you to hear that this game isn't here to appease AWM snipers - who cares if they stop using AWM after the gun is nerfed? They might even learn some combat skills at that point, or horror, how to fire a rifle - my guess is they'd flock to the M12s.

When BL just camps at base as a tactic for 'attacking' the designated bomb areas, or worse still, when snipers rush using the AWM as an assault rifle then its actually pretty clear that the game has a dynamics problem - and the role of this gun within that is crystal clear!

Perhaps you could suggest a 1 hit kill sniper friendly game with more appropriate maps where they can all go ... somewhere hot maybe ... GhR has great sniping maps! Oh wait, that's right, they don't really want to develop REAL sniping skills do they....
  • DerWolFeh wrote: »
    lol but then maybe it would be fair...
    i mean if you use a m12,scar light then your a noob so people just got one hit on the chest with a sniper and they think they are good.
    well your not at all. its not hard to do one hit on the chest each time.
    also its boring to play with that OP sniper...

when you do a legshot to someone you only do around 80 damage.. how is that a oneshotkill ?
    hmmm says unrealistic >.< real world senario you want in the game ?

okay, then they should add the effect that when you get shot in the leg u simply cant run at the same speed anymore >.<

And they should add the effect that if you get shot in the arm you wont be able to shoot with that arm anymore...

And should they also add the effect that when hit you would bleed and die within seconds too? just wondering here... this is a game and ofc the weapon doesn`t resemble real life. neither does the events after you get hit by bullets.. its just the way it is..
  • should be like battlefield:

1 hit to head > death
    1 hit to 'front body' > death
    2 hits to 'back body' | chest | legs | arms > death
  • Corpex wrote: »
    should be like battlefield:

1 hit to head > death
    1 hit to 'front body' > death
    2 hits to 'back body' | chest | legs | arms > death

how is chest not your front body? ... are you some sort of alien?
  • Lordjumba wrote: »
    when you do a legshot to someone you only do around 80 damage.. how is that a oneshotkill ?

okay, then they should add the effect that when you get shot in the leg u simply cant run at the same speed anymore >.<

And they should add the effect that if you get shot in the arm you wont be able to shoot with that arm anymore...

And should they also add the effect that when hit you would bleed and die within seconds too? just wondering here... this is a game and ofc the weapon doesn`t resemble real life. neither does the events after you get hit by bullets.. its just the way it is..

The OP wouldnt support any of those, at least I dont think so. Because when you get shot by an awm in the leg, you can still run. But when you get shot by any other gun in the leg, you can still run. What the OP is talking about is the awm RELATIVE to other weapons. Not saying that I agree with nerfing the awm, just that your line of logic is not the same as the OPs. At least thats how I read it
  • Lordjumba wrote: »

they did make a game like that. ^_^

but hes just saying the awm shouldnt be a one hit kill on the upper body.
    or any other sniper. i dont know if he use a sniper or not but i do and you dont need any bit of sniper skill to get a good K/D with that sniper well cannon.