Gaming rig, or pre-built + iPhone? Opinions please.

I can't be bothered saving anymore, so I'ma build my rig now, rather than wait.
I kinda need a new phone too, so I might buy an iPhone. Problem with that is, it'll eat up a bit of my budget.

My build:
  • Motherboard: ASUS M4N68T-Pro DDR3
  • Processor: AMD Phenom II Six-Core 3.2ghz 9MB cache
  • Graphics Card: ATI HD6850 1GB HDTV
  • RAM: 4GB/6GB DDR3 1333mhz
  • Hard Drive: 1.5TB 7200RPM Sata2
  • Optical: LG BluRay-RW/DVD-ROM/HD-ROM
  • Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DI 7.1 Dolby Surround Sound
  • Case: Thermalake Matrix + 750w PSU
  • Monitor: 24" Samsung HD PC monitor

Or some pre-built i5 Dell from PC World and an iPhone.

I have all those parts ready to order.

Comments

• I'd buy the parts and build a rig yourself, and then save up some money for the iPhone, unless the iPhone is in great and dire need. A home phone can make up for most of the time, unless you live on the streets or by yourself, and if you have a cell phone at the moment, it should be good enough for another few weeks or months.
  • I don't have a cell at the moment.
    I could get a BlackBerry, since they're only like £200.
  • I don't have a cell at the moment.
    I could get a BlackBerry, since they're only like £200.

Wow, they're expensive where you live... Mine are fairly cheap [mainly because my aunt is the manager at Rogers and can get me one at dirt cheap prices]. I guess I'd just save up. It's not exactly a huge investment, and who knows? Maybe Apple will develop a cooler better version of it soon.
  • Hah true, there's probably gonna be an iPhone 5 in a couple of months or so.
  • If I were you I would get an android phone, there are many more models of them, cheap and expensive. And you have way more choice, I have the HTC Droid Incredible and its an awesome phone, way better than that over-rated brick they call an iPhone.

And for the comp I think it is good that you are building your own, I don't like any of the stock ones awyways.
  • jack584 wrote: »
    If I were you I would get an android phone, there are many more models of them, cheap and expensive. And you have way more choice, I have the HTC Droid Incredible and its an awesome phone, way better than that over-rated brick they call an iPhone.

And for the comp I think it is good that you are building your own, I don't like any of the stock ones awyways.

get an alien ware.
  • Hmm the Androids. They look okay, but don't know anyone who has one. Do they do much?

And yeah, I need this rig mainly for entertainment and editing, so a pre-built would just be a stop-gap kind of thing tbh :\
    add me on xFire nao!

i kan help joo

Add me men, cookiemunztaa
    get an alien ware.

They came up pretty much £250 more than my build, but they had worse specs.

The only upside was the whole 3-year warranty & upgrade thing. I'm a clumsy bitch, so that'd help.
  • get an alien ware.

Way to over priced, and just like the iPhone, over-rated.
  • Errrrr...The pc! Duh! Fck the Dell i5 Crap
  • Hmm the Androids. They look okay, but don't know anyone who has one. Do they do much?

And yeah, I need this rig mainly for entertainment and editing, so a pre-built would just be a stop-gap kind of thing tbh :\

Add me men, cookiemunztaa

They have way more capability than the iPhone, even after jailbraking. And if you root an android phone, the possibilities are endless.
    Way to over priced, and just like the iPhone, over-rated.

Judging by you're icon you have the what kind of phone you gotta remind me.
  • i would tweak that build, get a sandybridge CPU/MOBO, if u dont like intel, i suggest u wait for AMD bulldozer which is suppose to be the "nest big thing"... until intel's invy bridge destroys it....:P

Id get something like this:

Intel core I5 2500k
    asus p8p67
    Gskill ripjaw 4gb 1600mhz
    ATI 6870 or my personal preference: 6950 and flash it to a 6970
    any 700+ PSU
    any case
    Samsung spinpoint 1tb F3 harddrive
    a good CPU heatsink
    Maybe a cheap 30 GB SSD dor ur OS
    Screen
    OS
    If I were you I would get an android phone, there are many more models of them, cheap and expensive. And you have way more choice, I have the HTC Droid Incredible and its an awesome phone, way better than that over-rated brick they call an iPhone.

I'll go take a look at those HTC things, they seem decent, and not massively expensive like the iPhone. I already have an iPod, so storage shouldn't be an issue.
    Kirbyalt wrote: »
    Errrrr...The pc! Duh! Fck the Dell i5 Crap

I feel lazy buying a pre-built :rolleyes:
    IzConcept wrote: »
    i would tweak that build, get a sandybridge CPU/MOBO, if u dont like intel, i suggest u wait for AMD bulldozer which is suppose to be the "nest big thing"... until intel's invy bridge destroys it....:P

Id get something like this:

Intel core I5 2500k
    asus p8p67
    Gskill ripjaw 4gb 1600mhz
    ATI 6870 or my personal preference: 6950 and flash it to a 6970
    any 700+ PSU
    any case
    Samsung spinpoint 1tb F3 harddrive
    a good CPU heatsink
    Maybe a cheap 30 GB SSD dor ur OS
    Screen
    OS

That's a decent build, but I never use Intel unless I have to, tbh :\
    I'm gonna upgrade the GPU and processor after a short while, so I may wait to see what ATI/AMD have to offer.
  • I'll go take a look at those HTC things, they seem decent, and not massively expensive like the iPhone. I already have an iPod, so storage shouldn't be an issue.

All android phones have a micro sd card slot for up to 32GB, so if you need more space just pop one in.
  • I can't be bothered saving anymore, so I'ma build my rig now, rather than wait.
    I kinda need a new phone too, so I might buy an iPhone. Problem with that is, it'll eat up a bit of my budget.

My build:

[*]Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO3[*]
    [*]Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz[*]
    [*]Graphics Card: ATI HD6850 1GB HDTV in crossfire[*]
    [*]RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333mhz[*] (only go 6GB if you gonna go intel)
    [*]Hard Drive: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive[*]
    [*]Optical: any DVD write[*]
    [*]Sound Card: onboard[*]
    [*]Case: Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case + 650W Antec PSU[*]
    [*]Monitor: 24" Samsung HD PC monitor[*]
    [*]OS: Windows 7 64-bit
  • [*]Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO3[*]
    [*]Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz[*]
    [*]Graphics Card: ATI HD6850 1GB HDTV in crossfire[*]
    [*]RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333mhz[*] (only go 6GB if you gonna go intel)
    [*]Hard Drive: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive[*]
    [*]Optical: any DVD write[*]
    [*]Sound Card: onboard[*]
    [*]Case: Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case + 650W Antec PSU[*]
    [*]Monitor: 24" Samsung HD PC monitor[*]
    [*]OS: Windows 7 64-bit

Yeah the 6GB thing, I MAY go with Intel in the future, IF they bring out something stand out awesome. 4GB will be in there, but I'ma keep the third 2GB kit in it's packaging, for future use.
    But my build's focused around home entertainment (it'll be hooked to a TV when I'm not gaming), aswell as gamings, so I need to large hard-drive for storing BluRays and what-not.
    I'll have to go with an ASUS M477ATD-Pro if I want the 2GB 6850 HD in crossfire.
    And I've been trying to get my hands on the Black Edition Phenom II. I could scout around again for something with quick delivery, but tbh I'll more than likely upgrade the processor in a few months, and the one I have is fine.
  • I'll go take a look at those HTC things, they seem decent, and not massively expensive like the iPhone. I already have an iPod, so storage shouldn't be an issue.

I feel lazy buying a pre-built :rolleyes:

That's a decent build, but I never use Intel unless I have to, tbh :\
    I'm gonna upgrade the GPU and processor after a short while, so I may wait to see what ATI/AMD have to offer.

whats wrong with Intel :P? I love intel, I always used to have AMDs and when my old 955 went over 70C and exploded, i made the switch to the I5 2500k just the other day and it just feels so much more solid... on spec, that 1090t will beat my i5 at multithreading apps, but for "real world" usage(browsing and stuff), You cant beat intels single threaded performance. Not to mention sandy bridge overclocks to 5 GHZ on air :P
  • IzConcept wrote: »
    whats wrong with Intel :P? I love intel, I always used to have AMDs and when my old 955 went over 70C and exploded, i made the switch to the I5 2500k just the other day and it just feels so much more solid... on spec, that 1090t will beat my i5 at multithreading apps, but for "real world" usage(browsing and stuff), You cant beat intels single threaded performance. Not to mention sandy bridge overclocks to 5 GHZ on air :P

I have a friend who recently built his PC using the i7. He says pretty much the same thing as you.
    But I'll be using my lappy for all the web browsing and what-not, so I don't mind that.

I kinda dislike Intels corporate side too :\ I always prefer the underdog :p
  • dude. building your own rig is much better than buying a prebuilt alienware or dell. the specs u listed look good; i say go for it.

as for the iphone, it is decent, but way overpriced, considering u can buy better phones for less. blackberry is trash. go for an htc; pick one that fits your needs.
  • BrackObama wrote: »
    dude. building your own rig is much better than buying a prebuilt alienware or dell. the specs u listed look good; i say go for it.

as for the iphone, it is decent, but way overpriced, considering u can buy better phones for less. blackberry is trash. go for an htc; pick one that fits your needs.

I ruled out Alienware since I bought their last laptop :p

It performs well, but meh, they're ugly and I prefer self-built PCs too.
  • Droids can do infinitely more things than the brick from apple.
  • ooooreA wrote: »
    Droids can do infinitely more things than the brick from apple.

+1
    msg2short
  • if there is verizon in the uk ur in luck :D
    CUZ I THE IPHONE CAME FOR VERIZON
  • CallMeSoul wrote: »
    if there is verizon in the uk ur in luck :D
    CUZ I THE IPHONE CAME FOR VERIZON

Lol I have an Droid Incredible on verizon and I'm lovin it, way better that the brick they call an iPhone, and when I get a new phone on verizon it won't be a iPhone.
  • Liqweedate wrote: »
    Why only a 6850?

As I said, bored of having the money here waiting, and I'm terrible at saving up.

I'm gonna upgrade it in a couple of months.
  • Buy that rig and save up for the iPhone.

It can wait :D
  • iPhone is just CRAP. Some old guy one day thought why not rip off everybody with ****ty products that we would sell 2x their value. Many smartphones out there already have owned iPhone (don't need much, only a super amoled screen and android). Plus in a month or two we will see dual core mobiles comming out or being announced.

What I would do is selfbuild the comp and save up for a dual core mobile. Don't get iPhone you'll regret it.

Btw give us the prices of your selfbuilt rig and the iphone+i5 dell.

EDIT: I bought a Dell studio XPS8100 (i7-860/4gb 1333mhz/GTS 240/1TO HDD) and I was like wow 850€ that's cheap couldn't build better for that price even though the gpu wasn't that good. 2Months after I decieded to open my comp to check how many 4gigs I could add and noticed there were 4slots with 4x1gigs. That kinda ****ed me off but wasn't a problem coz was planning to get 4x4gig anyway (summer 2011). And then I looked at the psu, 350W piece of **** worth like 10-20€. Replaced that by a StealthXstream2 700W.

Get an i7 and a HD6000series.
  • I can't be bothered saving anymore, so I'ma build my rig now, rather than wait.

My build:

your build it's a better choice than i5 dell+iphone
    and it looks fine except the motherboard. try to find one with amd chipset(770 at least).
    for about the same price as M4N68T-Pro you can get Asus M4A77T (or better one).