Guide to Covering the Defuser in GM in PUBS

You may have wondered why many people say this random word called 'cover' every time someone is going to defuse the bomb. They may even have called you a noob for not 'covering'. This is the guide to doing this in GM in PUBS only.

I am not a professional GM player but all these methods are kind of common sense if you think about it. All these methods are useful to some degree.

Lexicon
Defuser-The guy who is risking his life to defuse the c4.
Bhopping, Bunnyhopping, B-hopping-A techinque used by BL players to move while staying invisible and reducing the effects of breath and sound.
PUBs-Public matches

General Ideas in Defusing
If you have speed defuse, you must start defusing before the bomb signal starts to flash fast red. I have seen many ways of defusing, most of them stupid. When defusing you do not have to switch to knife, you also do not have to stare at the bomb. The ideal way to defuse is to stand up with your gun ready and facing a likely direction in which the ghosts are going to come.

When to ignore ghosts coming and when not to. If you think you can dispatch the ghost and start defusing before the fast red light (Speed Defuse), then go ahead. If you think you can't, then you will have to carry on defusing and hope your teammates have read this guide. All these methods generally work if you have another play with you, as it is their job to cover you.

1st Method
React to Sight
What is it? You stare at the defuser and the areas next to him and you shoot as soon see either a ghost running or the defuser die. In which case you start shooting at where the ghost/where you think the ghost is. You may also do this as the defuser.

This is the method currently used most. It is not the best method. It is particularly bad against bunnyhoppers as they can b-hop in kill and b-hop out. This should only be used when you outnumber the opponent at least 2:1 and/or they have no bunnyhoppers in their team.

Rating 5/10

2nd Method
Hunting
What is it? You run around and try and pinpoint where all those camping ghosts are, and attempt to eliminate them to stop them killing the defuser. A person who does this with less skill/no sound would spray at likely camp spots.

This may work if you arrive at the bomb site first-for a while. However, what I have found is that people spray so much you can't really pinpoint unless you are very good.

Rating 5/10

3rd Method
Dummy
You crouch down next to the defuser and look like you are defusing the bomb, pointing your gun at the most likely way the ghosts will come. As soon as you detect something you shoot at it and defend the defuser. A less skilled player using this method would die instead of the defuser, leading them (possibly) to defuse the bomb in time.

May not work against b-hoppers, but is sometimes a useful way to buy time especially against knifers. However, does not work well with multiple bhopping ghosts picking GR off from different angles.

Rating 7/10

4th Method
Camp/Guard
You camp in places outside bomb site, where likely ghosts who were not in the bomb site when it was planted might run. Therefore you stop them getting to the bomb site by killing them outside. Works well, on ghosts that are rushing to the bomb site.

This method is potentially dangerous if you can not pinpoint. Also if the defuser dies, it may take extra time for you to get back to the bombsite and take over defusing if you are last one alive. Also you may be an easy kill for BL, if they rush you together.

Rating 4/10

5th Method
Nading
Either frag nading the defuser, where the defuser takes around 15hp damage, but any ghosts bhopping, running to him or in the vincinity will take damage. Flashing also works, flashing ghosts, so they can not see the defuser.

This is potentially dangerous, you risk killing/blinding your own teammates. This could get you kicked in Pubs. Also ghosts that were not in the damage/flash zone still might be able to kill the defuser while he is blind. Use sparingly.

Rating 4/10

6th Method
Controlled Spraying
First you would use the react method, but when the defuser is close to/has started for 2-3 secs defusing the bomb. You spray at the defuser and the areas next to him at crouching height. Preferably all your teammates do this as well. Causing and ghosts to die in that deadzone. Good players will move around while doing this. This may also be done with timed shovel swings or axe chops.

This is by far the best way to defend the defuser if you have at least 4 people alive. It kills anyone in your line of fire.

Rating 9/10

Thanks for reading, hope players can learn something!

Comments

• Good job on making the guide
    hopefully everyone will read this
  • Love it ♥ , good job.
    Very unique guide btw. ;p

thdf3412c7.gif
    -Haley.
  • lol i always use a mix of methods 1 and 3
  • Assuming neither team has gotten picked and flashguard is banned

Have 1 person flash and 1 person smoke then have a third person flash and have all 3 of them pretend 2 defuse the bomb while the last 2 spray
  • Assuming neither team has gotten picked and flashguard is banned

Have 1 person flash and 1 person smoke then have a third person flash and have all 3 of them pretend 2 defuse the bomb while the last 2 spray

Like I said, this is a guide for covering in PUBs, kinda hard to explain to people how to do that ingame.
    ZoNedOuTt wrote: »
    lol i always use a mix of methods 1 and 3
    Well maybe you can learn a few more different methods :D
  • Like I said, this is a guide for covering in PUBs, kinda hard to explain to people how to do that ingame.

Yes the noobs don't even know the simple thing of def+cover
    no way u can explain that :D
  • Night_sky wrote: »
    Good job on making the guide
    hopefully everyone will read this

Hopefully the people with the IQ of a grated cheeze flake will read this.
  • 2nd method should be 10/10 since its pinpointing...anything with ghosts n pinpointing is 10/10....
    3rd method, to be honest, is plain dumb...that should be 1/10, axe/shovel (idk bout katana since i quit before it came out) can easily kill both u and the defuser in 1 swing...
    4th method doesnt really work since theres multiple entrances to the site...
    5th method is one of the best, it takes more than 15 points off the defuser but if you know when to nade it, you'll get em all...its a tried and true method in CWs and pubs...
    6th method makes NO sense, any sensible ghost would wait til they stop spraying or even take out the sprayers because nobody can hear...

• I am not a professional GM player

Professional Ghost mode exists? Mebe somewhere in Brazil.
  • Great Guide! People should really read this so people have a chance when defusing. :D
  • Not a bad guide, but it practically doesn't work against BL that can bhop and know what they're doing.

An example would be planting it in a location where there are many ways for BL to enter and kill the defuser
  • Helpful guide :P

"Causing and ghosts to die in the dead zone."

^ This is a typo i -think- ?

EDIT: Mention use of placed smoke grenades?
  • BananaKMA wrote: »
    2nd method should be 10/10 since its pinpointing...anything with ghosts n pinpointing is 10/10....
    3rd method, to be honest, is plain dumb...that should be 1/10, axe/shovel (idk bout katana since i quit before it came out) can easily kill both u and the defuser in 1 swing...
    5th method is one of the best, it takes more than 15 points off the defuser but if you know when to nade it, you'll get em all...its a tried and true method in CWs and pubs...
    6th method makes NO sense, any sensible ghost would wait til they stop spraying or even take out the sprayers because nobody can hear...

it depends on where the bomb is, but it does work, there are a lot of variables to consider as well, no plan is fool proof, there's always lots of fools.
  • I would also like to add another tactic that has come a great way in terms of protecting/being the defuser.

-Intuition/Predicting your enemy
    This tactic requires you to have played GM a good number of times, but a simple fact is, unless all the ghosts are dead, expect them to try and kill your defuser or you. The only thing you have at that point is the when and where.
    Usually the when is the defuser begins their job. A common thing with pubs is that Ghosts strike early upon defusing or after about a second. Good ghosts wait for maximum effect, even at the risk of the bomb of defusing. What you as the defender or defuser is, to predict areas/times in which ghosts will strike and take action. Either by shooting or moving away safely from the area.
    As the defender, it has saved the defuser plenty of times from b-hoppers. You may not be able to hear them or see them, but you can predict them. With controlled shots you could end an unsuspecting ghost easily and save the day. The key thing you have to do is trust your gut. As when all the other methods fail, this is what you have to work with. This can also work in conjunction of the other tactics.

Rating 3-7/10 *Ranges from player perceptions.
    2nd method should be 10/10 since its pinpointing...anything with ghosts n pinpointing is 10/10....

1) Why should Pinpointing be 10/10? Can you pinpoint when there are a bunch of noobs spraying everywhere? Especially if the ghosts bhop? Not everyone can... I can't thats why its not 10/10, but its subjective i guess.
    2) Possible, but it is also possible to position oneself far away enough so that a single swing is not able to kill both. Depite there being many high power shovels and axes around, the majority of knives in PUBs are still knives atm. You should also use these methods in conjunction with other methods.
    3) Why does it not work, you are assuming ghosts will definitely use a different entrance than the one you are guarding... And that they all bhop...And that the camper can't hear breath. The point is not to take out the whole team with this method, it's to stop one maybe two ghosts getting to the bomb site.
    4) Thank you, something we agree on.
    5) You can't hear in the first place. Also thats why i'm saying start doing that till AFTER the defuser has started to defuse... By the time you stop spraying, the bomb should have been defused. The thinking behind this strategy is, if they take out the sprayers, then that would mean that they can't get to the defuser in time, or they get killed in the process.

Here is a quick graphic I made to explain my thinking. The red is c4, the dark blue is defuser, light blue is GR, brown is BL.

sprayexpl.jpg

The green dots indicate that GR are spraying at the defuser while moving around, so the bullets don't just go straight through the defuser all the time.

The yellow lines indicate the directions in which BL are going to travel. The defuser has speed defuse and has already started for around 2 secs. As soon as BL hit the spray zone, they should quickly lose health and hopefully die. You do not necessarily need 4 people to spray but I believe it helps kills ghosts. I also know there are ways to bypass this, i.e. ghosts dropping from above, but not all tactics work for everything, and guides can not replace actual thinking and reactions.
  • Ex_eDit wrote: »
    Helpful guide :P

"Causing and ghosts to die in the dead zone."

^ This is a typo i -think- ?

EDIT: Mention use of placed smoke grenades?

Yeah that is a typo, I haven't personally used smoke grenades, but they should work, I just wasn't going to explain something I didnt' do.
  • you forgot a few

Rage Quit! bomb cant blow up and kill you if your not in game! XD

this is effective but makes you look like a n00b and does not let you play a whole game. but hey at least your not losing the match because you are not playing that match ether win or lose! most times this is caused by people who know how to play and or hack.ers as well as people who have lag issues! this helps to vent your rage in the short term but makes you look like a fool in the long term.

Ratting 0 out of 10

also

Vote Kicked

Doing so well the round(s) before that your teammates have put you up for a vote and most of the other team and your team ether think you hack or are afk and the vote passes and you are kicked from game. While if you DO hack you just got told to not hack anymore by the players in the game. if you DO NOT hack you have just been told that you are too good to play in that room because some people just do not know how to play or you lag too much. (so they say..) this shows a level of skill that makes other people look dumb who don't know how to play or just hate your guts for no reason what so ever.

Game completion ratting 0 out of 10

Skill rating if vote does not pass 10 out of 10

Skill rating if vote passes 20 out of 10! (as you have mastered the art of getting kicked from rooms!)

how to avoid?

dumb down your skill and let yourself be killed a few times as well as use a bad gun like your standard m16 and possabley getting a nap or two in while not afk'ing out of the game.
  • 1) Why should Pinpointing be 10/10? Can you pinpoint when there are a bunch of noobs spraying everywhere? Especially if the ghosts bhop? Not everyone can... I can't thats why its not 10/10, but its subjective i guess.
    2) Possible, but it is also possible to position oneself far away enough so that a single swing is not able to kill both. Depite there being many high power shovels and axes around, the majority of knives in PUBs are still knives atm. You should also use these methods in conjunction with other methods.
    3) Why does it not work, you are assuming ghosts will definitely use a different entrance than the one you are guarding... And that they all bhop...And that the camper can't hear breath. The point is not to take out the whole team with this method, it's to stop one maybe two ghosts getting to the bomb site.
    5) You can't hear in the first place. Also thats why i'm saying start doing that till AFTER the defuser has started to defuse... By the time you stop spraying, the bomb should have been defused. The thinking behind this strategy is, if they take out the sprayers, then that would mean that they can't get to the defuser in time, or they get killed in the process.

Here is a quick graphic I made to explain my thinking. The red is c4, the dark blue is defuser, light blue is GR, brown is BL.

sprayexpl.jpg

The green dots indicate that GR are spraying at the defuser while moving around, so the bullets don't just go straight through the defuser all the time.

The yellow lines indicate the directions in which BL are going to travel. The defuser has speed defuse and has already started for around 2 secs. As soon as BL hit the spray zone, they should quickly lose health and hopefully die. You do not necessarily need 4 people to spray but I believe it helps kills ghosts. I also know there are ways to bypass this, i.e. ghosts dropping from above, but not all tactics work for everything, and guides can not replace actual thinking and reactions.

1. if you're asking personally if I can pinpoint with noobs spraying, i honestly don't know anymore since i quit, but i do know people who can
    2. i suppose it could be possible but that only works if theres 1 person alive and he comes through your view...or a smart ghost could realize that you're fakin' it...
    3. if you saw a guy camping in a corner, would you go through that way? ik i wouldnt...thats just "common sense" as you stated in ur topic...and if it's to stop 1-2 ghosts from getting to the defuser, it doesnt really cover the defuser if there are more ghosts...
    4. :D
    5. that works and that doesn't work...it could easily go wrong especially since you're talking bout defusing in pubs and most idiots don't listen to any sort of tips or strats in pubs...
  • O.o! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Tell that to the headless chickens running around me trying to shoot ghosts while I m defusing. I hate it when they are defusing then bhop cuz they see a ghost while the bomb is at red status.

Anywho nice guide. Hopefully ppl will read it, understand it, and DO IT! You cant believe how many facepalms I had to do. I think my face is caving in cuz of this.
  • "i hate it when they are defusing and then bhop cuz they see a ghost while the bomb is at red status"?
    i dont get it, i thought u were GR...why would you bhop if ur GR....
  • Like I said, this is a guide for covering in PUBs, kinda hard to explain to people how to do that ingame.

My bad i forgot people in this game don't speak english.
    1. if you're asking personally if I can pinpoint with noobs spraying, i honestly don't know anymore since i quit, but i do know people who can
    2. i suppose it could be possible but that only works if theres 1 person alive and he comes through your view...or a smart ghost could realize that you're fakin' it...
    3. if you saw a guy camping in a corner, would you go through that way? ik i wouldnt...thats just "common sense" as you stated in ur topic...and if it's to stop 1-2 ghosts from getting to the defuser, it doesnt really cover the defuser if there are more ghosts...
    4. :D
    5. that works and that doesn't work...it could easily go wrong especially since you're talking bout defusing in pubs and most idiots don't listen to any sort of tips or strats in pubs...

1. Ok, I can't correct my guide but, if anyone can do that then by all means do that. (Don't know why someone so skilled would read such a guide anyway ^^)
    2. I have been BL and its been hard to tell, but I agree that generally the defuser is the guy who is looking down at the bomb :D because all the noobs do that (as pointed out in guide)
    3. I forgot to write it all down then, there is a reason why it says Camp/Guard. Camping is the noob version that everyone can do. Guarding is Pinpointing while everyone else has gone bomb site, so it is much easier as it is quieter and to catch any running ghosts.
    4. -
    5.Works for me, when i've been the only one spraying :/. So if I get more people to do that, then it COULD work.
  • GM cover is very simple.

M60 Adv + Spray = Pro cover.

M60 adv spray lasts long enough to shoot at the defuser until the bomb is defused.

Very Nice guide. +1. :D
  • 1) Why should Pinpointing be 10/10? Can you pinpoint when there are a bunch of noobs spraying everywhere? Especially if the ghosts bhop? Not everyone can... I can't thats why its not 10/10, but its subjective i guess.

sprayexpl.jpg

Which is why the shooting people need to move and shoot, so it covers a decent amount of area, and you do not get killed yourself
  • or we can all grab our nades throw it at the defuser and run in before they explode so the ghosts win :D
This discussion has been closed.