Please, don't call it parmesan...

...it's Parmiggiano Reggiano! Looks like in these forum there is no Off Topic about food, so...here it is! So please post your favorite dish below :)

Comments

• This is actually a pretty hard question as I can love to eat something for a month or two, but eating it to often and getting fed up with it for half a year or more.

I generally like to eat things that I can hold in one hand and do something else like writing with the other and I don't like waiting for food. So different kinds of Pizza, Burritos, Sand-witches etc... If I sit down to just eat (which I have trouble doing) I actually like to eat different kinds of salads right now.

But some real examples
    Sorry no pics right now.

As I live in Sweden we have a lot of weird Pizzas (almost every person has their own special, which some becomes menu items), This is a pizza which i had big doubts with, but became one of my favorites after I tried it
    This is what is on it - Cheese, Pizza Sauce, Bacon, Pepperoni, onions, bananas, yellow-curry-mix and Béarnaise-Sauce.

A kind of burger I really like, is what is called around here "Snitzare"
    It's basically a hamburger with a schnitzel instead of the regular hamburger-meat.

For sweet things I have 2

Princess-Cake
    250px-Prinsesst%C3%A5rta.JPG

And Semla (I like the one with knot-berry whipped cream the most)
    250px-Semla88.JPG
    JackPain (Sweden)
  • [QUOTE=[GM]WhiteOwl;n6949561]...it's Parmiggiano Reggiano! Looks like in these forum there is no Off Topic about food, so...here it is! So please post your favorite dish below :)[/QUOTE]

And then there's a cheese similar to Parmigiano Reggiano called Grana Padana. But this cheese is not parmesan, because it is produced in another region of Italy.

In the last couple of weeks, I've just become maniacally addicted to a pear in wine and gorgonzolla cheese. The combination of the sweetness of the pear and the savory flavor of the cheese just blows my taste buds.
  • jamesfit wrote: »

And then there's a cheese similar to Parmigiano Reggiano called Grana Padana. But this cheese is not parmesan, because it is produced in another region of Italy.

In the last couple of weeks, I've just become maniacally addicted to a pear in wine and gorgonzolla cheese. The combination of the sweetness of the pear and the savory flavor of the cheese just blows my taste buds.

You should try mixing Gorgonzola with gingersnap cookies, gives an interesting flavor. You might wanna go with a milder tasting blue-cheese, depending on how strong the spices are in the cookies. I personally prefer to use Gorgonzola when I cook, as it has kind of a harsh edge that i feel is better suited in warm foods e.g. pastas, melted atop of meat or in meat-rolls. For eating just pieces of cheese or on crackers, I usually go for milder blues, whites or strong hard-cheeses (like the Danish Old Ole, that smells trough 2 plastic bags and a closed plastic can). But ones breath doesn't exactly smell fresh afterwards.:D
    JackPain (Sweden)

Yes you're right, there is also Grana Padano! I didn't mention it because I didn't want to be to sound too snobby or boring! :o Ok so let's be snobby and do a quick recap!

1) Grana Padano: Produced in several Northern regions. Cows eat grass and corn. Fatty and requires many months of ageing (12-36 months). Taste is more buttery and delicate.

2) Parmigiano Reggiano: Produced mainly in a region called Emilia Romagna. Cows must eat only grass. More regulations and control over production. Less fatty then Grana Padano, requires less months of ageing (9-24 months). Stronger taste but it depends on the ageing.

3) Parmesan: Bad imitation of the two mentioned above.
  • Painanator wrote: »
    This is actually a pretty hard question as I can love to eat something for a month or two, but eating it to often and getting fed up with it for half a year or more.

I generally like to eat things that I can hold in one hand and do something else like writing with the other and I don't like waiting for food. So different kinds of Pizza, Burritos, Sand-witches etc... If I sit down to just eat (which I have trouble doing) I actually like to eat different kinds of salads right now.

But some real examples
    Sorry no pics right now.

As I live in Sweden we have a lot of weird Pizzas (almost every person has their own special, which some becomes menu items), This is a pizza which i had big doubts with, but became one of my favorites after I tried it
    This is what is on it - Cheese, Pizza Sauce, Bacon, Pepperoni, onions, bananas, yellow-curry-mix and Béarnaise-Sauce.

A kind of burger I really like, is what is called around here "Snitzare"
    It's basically a hamburger with a schnitzel instead of the regular hamburger-meat.

For sweet things I have 2

Princess-Cake
    250px-Prinsesst%C3%A5rta.JPG

And Semla (I like the one with knot-berry whipped cream the most)
    250px-Semla88.JPG

Cool stuff!!
  • if you talking about cheese...

My father used to go to "cheese and wines events" back at the time and then make to us all "ted talks" about it , such as

Refined cheese - fruity red wine
    Old-fashioned cheese - dry white wine / heavy red wine
    Blue cheeses / spicy flavors - dessert wines are better than white, but there are also some red or rosé
    Goats / sheep cheese - dry or semi-dry whites
    And for decoration - dried fruits, jams, seasonal fruits (grapes), olive oil.

Anyways,personally I love bulgarian salty cheese , especially on pizzas.the most common extras are either mushrooms+onion or eggplants with bulgy cheese.the problem in pizzerias is that they put the eggplants from the pan on the pizza right after they finished to fry them and it makes the pizza and our hands to be full of oil when eat it.that's why when I make a home made pizza I put the eggplants on a paper towels for 2 minuets before put them on the pizza.

I also like the taste of regular yellow cheese with cooking cream,pasta,mushrooms ...

The food in my region-

Lots of people here in Israel,likes very much to eat a very 'spicy' food,for example- moroccan fish (fish with hot pepper, tomato paste,sweet red pepper and herbs),or "shakshuka"(a sauce of olive oil, garlic, peeled tomatoes, hot pepper and above all eggs),there is also an Arabian salad here called Matbucha which is also spicy.

Shawarma/snizzle/romanian kebabs/salty pastries , wings in a sweet chili sauce,hummus,puree,barbecue......are all also very strongly common here

Here is a pic of "Carolina reaper" the most spicy pepper in the world.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/yOc0eCa.jpg"}[/IMG2]
  • This is what happens when you spend your entire life eating fast food.

They sound like they've eaten McDonald's their whole life lol u.u

• I think we have variations of every of those dishes here in Sweden too, except the chicken in the beginning. Looks very interesting though. Olivye is called Legym-Salad in Sweden. I like to eat it together with boiled potatoes and cold-cuts in the summer.
    Selyodka pod Shuboy seem too be a layered variation of one of my favorites at the Christmas Dinner here, called Herring-Salad, we just eat it mixed together instead of layered. Though it more of a traditional thing older people eat here, I am probably one of the few in my generation that eat it at Christmas.
    JackPain (Sweden)
  • if you talking about cheese...

My father used to go to "cheese and wines events" back at the time and then make to us all "ted talks" about it , such as

Refined cheese - fruity red wine
    Old-fashioned cheese - dry white wine / heavy red wine
    Blue cheeses / spicy flavors - dessert wines are better than white, but there are also some red or rosé
    Goats / sheep cheese - dry or semi-dry whites
    And for decoration - dried fruits, jams, seasonal fruits (grapes), olive oil.

Anyways,personally I love bulgarian salty cheese , especially on pizzas.the most common extras are either mushrooms+onion or eggplants with bulgy cheese.the problem in pizzerias is that they put the eggplants from the pan on the pizza right after they finished to fry them and it makes the pizza and our hands to be full of oil when eat it.that's why when I make a home made pizza I put the eggplants on a paper towels for 2 minuets before put them on the pizza.

I also like the taste of regular yellow cheese with cooking cream,pasta,mushrooms ...

The food in my region-

Lots of people here in Israel,likes very much to eat a very 'spicy' food,for example- moroccan fish (fish with hot pepper, tomato paste,sweet red pepper and herbs),or "shakshuka"(a sauce of olive oil, garlic, peeled tomatoes, hot pepper and above all eggs),there is also an Arabian salad here called Matbucha which is also spicy.

Shawarma/snizzle/romanian kebabs/salty pastries , wings in a sweet chili sauce,hummus,puree,barbecue......are all also very strongly common here

Here is a pic of "Carolina reaper" the most spicy pepper in the world.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/yOc0eCa.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Thank you for sharing the food culture of your country, it's cool stuff! And yeah cheese and wine go very well together, I agree! Also, the trick of the paper towel is smart. Finally, that pepper looks very hot!! :eek: Have you ever tried it?
  • Painanator wrote: »

I think we have variations of every of those dishes here in Sweden too, except the chicken in the beginning. Looks very interesting though. Olivye is called Legym-Salad in Sweden. I like to eat it together with boiled potatoes and cold-cuts in the summer.
    Selyodka pod Shuboy seem too be a layered variation of one of my favorites at the Christmas Dinner here, called Herring-Salad, we just eat it mixed together instead of layered. Though it more of a traditional thing older people eat here, I am probably one of the few in my generation that eat it at Christmas.

[QUOTE=[GM]WhiteOwl;n6950018]

Thank you for sharing the food culture of your country, it's cool stuff! And yeah cheese and wine go very well together, I agree! Also, the trick of the paper towel is smart. Finally, that pepper looks very hot!! :eek: Have you ever tried it?[/QUOTE]

Hi

Ye,olivier salad has lots of names in different places(like "Ensalada Rusa" in spain).also "ikra" is simply a russian nick name to caviar.I love Russian food for its earthiness, wholesomeness and general lack of chemicals

and thanks...no I didn't try that pepper,too hot and may really put in danger people who eat it and not accustomed to ,I tried only the slightly piquant pepper from the s-market
  • I heard about people who became 'plants/vegetative' only from smell that Carolina.

In Egypt we eat -Manakeesh,Baklava,Knafeh,Iraqi masgouf a lots of other things.
  • Yeah that pepper must be extreme! Also I think there is a show on YouTube where they interview celebrities while eating different kind of peppers. So you can see how their
    answers are influenced by the pepper they are chewing. It's fun and it might be worth checking!
  • [QUOTE=[GM]WhiteOwl;n6949561]...it's Parmiggiano Reggiano! Looks like in these forum there is no Off Topic about food, so...here it is! So please post your favorite dish below :)[/QUOTE]

oh and you better pronounce it right! Like Lamborghini... i hate it when it's pronounced wrong >:(

oh and my fav. dish -->

Some good "Kasspätzl" from Austria:
    [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/img.chefkoch-cdn.de\/rezepte\/1818231294934284\/bilder\/487475\/crop-960x720\/omas-kasspatzl.jpg"}[/IMG2]

But also the classic Pasta and so on :)
  • Didn't know Kasspätzl. Looks delicious, you cook it in the oven, right? I hope I can try it out soon! :p
  • [QUOTE=[GM]WhiteOwl;n6950327]Didn't know Kasspätzl. Looks delicious, you cook it in the oven, right? I hope I can try it out soon! :p[/QUOTE]

nope! Its just some dough u make and then you use a specific tool to make some "mini-mini-mini-mini"-noodles and cook it. After they are done (swimming on the surface and a bit longer for 1 or 2 mins) you you fry them in the fryingpan a bit, but some cheese on top (emmentaler, mozarella or any cheese you like but these 2 are recommended). Some chopped Onions, Salt, Pepper, Parsley and you are done. It's recommended that you have some salat too, otherwise you have a reeeeeeeeeeally heavy feeling in your stomache.
  • Cool! Thank you for the info! So now it's all set, I'll cook them on of these days!
  • [QUOTE=[GM]WhiteOwl;n6950394]Cool! Thank you for the info! So now it's all set, I'll cook them on of these days![/QUOTE]

nice! but you still gonna watch a cooking video or something....to making the dough is the hardest part and it's really not easy to have it perfectly
  • [QUOTE=[GM]WhiteOwl;n6949887]

Yes you're right, there is also Grana Padano! I didn't mention it because I didn't want to be to sound too snobby or boring! :o Ok so let's be snobby and do a quick recap!

1) Grana Padano: Produced in several Northern regions. Cows eat grass and corn. Fatty and requires many months of ageing (12-36 months). Taste is more buttery and delicate.

2) Parmigiano Reggiano: Produced mainly in a region called Emilia Romagna. Cows must eat only grass. More regulations and control over production. Less fatty then Grana Padano, requires less months of ageing (9-24 months). Stronger taste but it depends on the ageing.

3) Parmesan: Bad imitation of the two mentioned above.

[/QUOTE]

You said everything right! Don't confuse good products with fake products! I hate Parmesan, but Parmigiano Reggiano is delicious. Grana Padano is even cooler, it is generally tender and creamy.

You said everything right! Don't confuse good products with fake products! I hate Parmesan, but Parmigiano Reggiano is delicious. Grana Padano is even cooler, it is generally tender and creamy.

Yeah, part of my family is from an area that is very close to the region where they do Parmigiano Reggiano! :)
  • I usually call it by how it looks or prepared. If it's coming ultra-processed, in a plastic jar or paper packet that you can rip & shake out like seasoning? Parmesan. If there's a professional that's sticking three knives into a cheese wheel and using the rind to thicken soups? P-.. Parma... Parmigiano Reggiano. Just don't ask me to say the appropriate sizes from Starbucks

E: I love Surimi casserole! :D
  • I usually call it by how it looks or prepared. If it's coming ultra-processed, in a plastic jar or paper packet that you can rip & shake out like seasoning? Parmesan. If there's a professional that's sticking three knives into a cheese wheel and using the rind to thicken soups? P-.. Parma... Parmigiano Reggiano. Just don't ask me to say the appropriate sizes from Starbucks

E: I love Surimi casserole! :D

Starbucks??! :eek::eek::eek:
  • I sensed people were posting food.

I love all food, except mushrooms (they don't love me...)

Cant beat a good home made burger in fresh bread though