Quick (or not) guide for Shadow mode

Hello!

So I noticed there isn't any kind of introduction to the Shadow mode mechanics yet, so I'll expose them quickly in this thread (frankly, getting kicked because "omg invisible" or "I was bhopping, hack" isn't that much fun).

EM and INF

So EM is the basic elimination mode, where you have to kill every player of the enemy team and you only respawn at the beginning of rounds, so there's not much to say about it.

INF (infection) mode is the new feature of Shadow mode. you choose your starting team when you join (you'll start each round in this team), but whenever you get killed, you change teams. If everyone is in the same team, this team wins the round, otherwise, the team with the most members when the clock runs out wins.

Because of this, camping spawn sites is an effective method, but it can turn into a death trap, as every teammate lost will spawn as an enemy right in front of you and will be able to kill you as he has the spawn shield up for a while.

The round MVP feature in INF only considers the damage you made between your last death and the end of the round, so you can get 10 kills in a round, while the round mvp only got 1.

Invisibility and Stealth

First things first, let's see how you can be invisible while moving.

Of course, just like in ghost mode, you will be invisible if you don't move (up to a certain point), but as there's also a breathing system in shadow mode, so it won't do you any good.

When you play in BL (or "Fury Ghost"), you will notice a progress bar at the bottom of your screen (circled in red), this is the main indicator of your stealth level, the second being the color of your character. As explained by the textbox, you have to run to get progress (it doesn't stay on very long, I'm guessing that's why most people can't read it, or maybe they just don't care). You can also hear a distinct sound when your level changes (whether it increases or drops).

lq3FxrA.png

At level 1, you will be semi-transparent while moving, like in GM.

72ZqWX4.png

At level 2, you will be invisible, but there will be a trail behind you (it's the little light that wiggles). You'll notice your character becomes tainted in red, that's the second indicator of your stealth level I was talking about.

uWFiCNz.png

And the trail :

QPonC9F.png?1

At level 3, you're totally invisible, while running! Your character turns bright red. However, your breathing gets a lot louder, and even players without headsets will be able to hear you clearly.

5uvDIdo.png

This is when you have the biggest kill potential, and running around your enemies will make you very hard to pinpoint as well, since you have more mobility than a bhopping ghost in GM.

However, you don't stay invisible forever, otherwise the GR team (or mercenaries, since they can also be from BL in INF mode) would be very disadvantaged.

Every time you make an attack (right or left click) or jump, the invisible gauge's progress drops a bit. This is why running in 5 people while slashing will get you killed and why bunny hopping isn't effective in shadow mode. It will also lower slowly if you stand still for an extended period (NO CAMPING!).

You can make 2 stabs or 2 jumps before your invisibility level drops from the max to level 2 (thus making your trail visible).

If you're outnumbered, it's not over, though. Getting a right click on a soldier won't get you back to level 2, so getting a pick and running away (while still invisible) and taking cover behind a corner, then going back for another pick once you max the gauge again is very effective, as it'll also make the mercenaries go crazy (beware of the spray though).

Additionally, in INF mode, ghosts respawn with their gauge maxed out.

Comments

• Counter the invisibility

The invisibility's threat is enormous, but there are a few tricks to counter it.

-The light :

See that huge red light coming from the ceiling?

2hCmcuG.png

Well it turns green when a ghost stands under it, not great because the area is huge, but it tells you something's coming this way and you can prepare (or spray).

Ghosts won't trigger the light if they hide on the sides while the beam goes through though, so stay sharp and don't be lazy covering the corridor.

8LL57oj.png
    (pic's taken a little early and the light isn't very green because it's switching, but that's all I have from pubs at the moment)

- Lasers

There are a few lasers in 2 rooms, and when a ghost crosses it, it makes a sound (a little blink) as well as a green flash where the ghost crossed it.

NM8Xj1N.png

- Sprinklers

In the computer/screens/lasers room (aka Secret research lab), there are four water sprinklers on the ceiling, and by shooting one of the areas circled in red, you get them to spray down some water.

amZoZFK.jpg

What for? Well Crossfire even gives you tips, because reading isn't over-rated (ok maybe it is, but why read this guide if you don't read the tips in-game?)

yNnOpZX.png?1

That's why you probably shouldn't rush in that situation :

z3lEemy.png

- Glass

There are a few paths of broken glass, where ghosts will make a lot of noise if they step over there, it's nice to bait but the lasers are more helpful if they're invisible though.

PawyFpr.png

- Surround sound

Finally, for all you people with fancy headsets, Shadow mode supports 5.1 sound instead of just stereo, which will help you not get baited into emptying your clips in walls because the ghosts are actually safe under or above you (I do this a lot).

p1imQlA.png

Not much of a counter, but it's still useful.
  • Spraying ain't that good.

When you shoot (as a merc), the gauge circled in red makes progress, if you don't max it, it'll go down fairly quickly, but if you max it, you'll be pinpointed on the minimap for everyone to see until you drop your gun and pick something else. This isn't too bad in infection mode, but it's hell if you want to clutch with picks in EM (I doubt a lot of players are going to win by going man-mode against 5 fully-invisible ghosts).
    G0yIvMT.png

You can see the beacons of marked mercenaries on your minimap, in both ghost and mercenary.
    hYzV6sa.png

You can still use this to bait enemies into a trap, but it's unlikely they will come one at the time and politely wait for you to reload.

Items.<section in progress, any help/info is welcome>

There are a few items specific for shadow mode, the first being the sound tweaking item
    2l6iSJf.png
    (picture shamelessly stolen from a poor Simrock)
  • < reserved for things I forgot / will discover / will be told >

If anyone sees a aspect I overlooked or where I'm clearly mistaken, just tell me and I'll edit.
    You're also welcome to make something better, since I didn't take much time to do this guide.
  • let me add this 2 tips
    you can only do 2 stabs be4 your invisible gauge go back and leave a trail,
    the jumping as well you can only do 2 jumps be4 your invisible gauge go back and leave a trail

Edit:
    the decrease breath noise item should be more better
    when you max your invisible gauge,your breath noise is too loud even with the decrease breath noise item
    the foot step as well the noise is too loud when you max your gauge even with the decrease noise items

and there's an item allows you to decrease/ increase the sounds in game,
    allows you to decrease the weapons sounds to it's lowest rates (in both sides)
    so you will be able to hear the ghosts clearly when they walk under the central corridor light
    and when they cross the lasers where ever your location in the map you will hear them
    and the sprayers won't bother you (it's helpful item)
  • Nice guide, very simple but yet effective. This will help players new to this mode like myself :D I found this mode fairly easy to play but it is a shame your KDR does't count if you are on Shadow Mode INF (For now).
  • Good thread lol.. I really didn't understand this new mode now I do :P
  • Creative_E wrote: »
    Good thread lol.. I really didn't understand this new mode now I do :P

Took me a while, after a few players constantly saying "Don't jump, it isn't Ghost Mode!!!" I finally understood it :D
  • Nice guide, very well explained, keep up the good work! ^^
  • Thanks for the feedback everyone, I'll add things as they come (as long as they're relevant and not already in).
    lMADlxYz wrote: »
    let me add this 2 tips
    you can only do 2 stabs be4 your invisible gauge go back and leave a trail,
    the jumping as well you can only do 2 jumps be4 your invisible gauge go back and leave a trail

Edit:
    the decrease breath noise item should be more better
    when you max your invisible gauge,your breath noise is too loud even with the decrease breath noise item
    the foot step as well the noise is too loud when you max your gauge even with the decrease noise items

and there's an item allows you to decrease/ increase the sounds in game,
    allows you to decrease the weapons sounds to it's lowest rates (in both sides)
    so you will be able to hear the ghosts clearly when they walk under the central corridor light
    and when they cross the lasers where ever your location in the map you will hear them
    and the sprayers won't bother you (it's helpful item)

Thanks, I added the 2 moves limit.
    Breathing sound being very loud on 3rd invisibility level should be somewhere in there already (it is).

Shadow mode items will be added (very superficially) since I haven't tested them yet.

Also, side note, I'm working on a pindad SS2 review, which should be done next week unless I find a replacement mic or someone already made a decent one.
  • GREAAAT!!! I haven't tried shadow mode yet and this guide probably told me everything I need.
  • [MOD]Vu wrote: »
    Counter the invisibility

The invisibility's threat is enormous, but there are a few tricks to counter it.

-The light :

See that huge red light coming from the ceiling?

2hCmcuG.png

Well it turns green when a ghost stands under it, not great because the area is huge, but it tells you something's coming this way and you can prepare (or spray).

Ghosts won't trigger the light if they hide on the sides while the beam goes through though, so stay sharp and don't be lazy covering the corridor.

8LL57oj.png
    (pic's taken a little early and the light isn't very green because it's switching, but that's all I have from pubs at the moment)

- Lasers

There are a few lasers in 2 rooms, and when a ghost crosses it, it makes a sound (a little blink) as well as a green flash where the ghost crossed it.

NM8Xj1N.png

- Sparklers

In the computer/screens/lasers room (aka Secret research lab), there are four water sparklers on the ceiling, and by shooting one of the areas circled in red, you get them to spray down some water.

amZoZFK.jpg

What for? Well Crossfire even gives you tips, because reading isn't over-rated (ok maybe it is, but why read this guide if you don't read the tips in-game?)

yNnOpZX.png?1

That's why you probably shouldn't rush in that situation :

z3lEemy.png

- Glass

There are a few paths of broken glass, where ghosts will make a lot of noise if they step over there, it's nice to bait but the lasers are more helpful if they're invisible though.

PawyFpr.png

- Surround sound

Finally, for all you people with fancy headsets, Shadow mode supports 5.1 sound instead of just stereo, which will help you not get baited into emptying your clips in walls because the ghosts are actually safe under or above you (I do this a lot).

p1imQlA.png

Not much of a counter, but it's still useful.

Thx for telling it
  • moekhaled wrote: »
    GREAAAT!!! I haven't tried shadow mode yet and this guide probably told me everything I need.
    i need zp