map discussion - compound and desertstorm

Strength and weaknesses, how they compare to each other, how they compare to more popular maps, what they promote in gameplay.

gogogogogo

Comments

• ilybilly wrote: »
    Love compound.
    Hate desertstorm.

Why is the important thing.
  • I like Desert Storm.
    - Lots of tactical scopes.
    - Lots of setups on GR.
    - Effective smokes and flashes.
    - Interesting choke-points allowing new ways of playing your game.
    - Room to the read the GR team. There will always be a weak point to attack and this will win you rounds if you attack it quickly.
    - Graphically and geologically nicer map to play on, personally.

Don't like Compound.
    - The Mid is just... wtf. Only an unintellectual statement can describe it: It's ******ed.
    - Don't like the structures and buildings on it.
    - Seems like a map made by someone from the community (from the old Map Suggestions threads on SubaGames).
    - Kind of hard to say why I don't like without making it my opinion.
    - Both maps favor BL once the C4 is planted (more than other maps due to the long distance rotates), but I just don't like the way both bombsites are halls. Again it looks cheap user-made map.
  • Maps?

I love both maps... they're atmospheres are just too comforting.
  • nznipS wrote: »
    I like Desert Storm.
    - Lots of tactical scopes.
    - Lots of setups on GR.
    - Effective smokes and flashes.
    - Interesting choke-points allowing new ways of playing your game.
    - Room to the read the GR team. There will always be a weak point to attack and this will win you rounds if you attack it quickly.
    - Graphically and geologically nicer map to play on, personally.

Don't like Compound.
    - The Mid is just... wtf. Only an unintellectual statement can describe it: It's ******ed.
    - Don't like the structures and buildings on it.
    - Seems like a map made by someone from the community (from the old Map Suggestions threads on SubaGames).
    - Kind of hard to say why I don't like without making it my opinion.
    - Both maps favor BL once the C4 is planted (more than other maps due to the long distance rotates), but I just don't like the way both bombsites are halls. Again it looks cheap user-made map.

Compound is a cheap rip-off of factory [EDIT: I MEANT MISSILE FROM SF, MY BAD], unfortunately the part they kept similar (B long) is the only part that's still good IMO. Both Mid and Long A seem simplistic and basically who can outshoot who, there seems to be a very small variety of angles to be played there.

The thing about DS that attracts me to it is the wide variety of nades that can be thrown, as well as the underpass to A site.
  • ixneD wrote: »
    Both Mid and Long A seem simplistic and basically who can outshoot who, there seems to be a very small variety of angles to be played there.

CF is all about who can out shoot who. If you want to play angles go play cs.
  • dooplpk wrote: »
    CF is all about who can out shoot who. If you want to play angles go play cs.

Or you can put emphasis on both qualities rather than just one.
    Or you can put emphasis on both qualities rather than just one.

Angles and nades aren't that important in crossfire.

They can be if you make them. I can't aim worth **** and I can still do decently with positioning/angles.
    They can be if you make them. I can't aim worth **** and I can still do decently with positioning/angles.

Congratulations. By using an inferior approach you are now average!
  • I like both, compound is different then most maps cause of the whole mid thing. Desert is snipers paradise.
    Congratulations. By using an inferior approach you are now average!

dg010_003rc-500x322.jpg
    dg010_003rc-500x322.jpg

It's not really dodging the topic considering I use the same play style since I can't compete with people who have better aim then me.

It still doesn't change that the damage radius on nades is small, flashes are inconsistent, and smokes are a death trap most of the time.

Likewise playing angles doesn't make sense considering most good players use the netcode and prefiring to give them an advantage.

The truly scary players in this game are the ones who have great aim and are disciplined. So not only can they kill you at will most of the time, they will wait until you make a mistake to insure that there isn't a trade.

YES FINALLY SOMEONE WITH COMMON SENSe
    It's not really dodging the topic considering I use the same play style since I can't compete with people who have better aim then me.

It still doesn't change that the damage radius on nades is small, flashes are inconsistent, and smokes are a death trap most of the time.

Likewise playing angles doesn't make sense considering most good players use the netcode and prefiring to give them an advantage.

The truly scary players in this game are the ones who have great aim and are disciplined. So not only can they kill you at will most of the time, they will wait until you make a mistake to insure that there isn't a trade.

By angles I was also factoring in micro positioning in the area of the map, not just holding a static spot. The containers in mid add some variety, and fights occurring in an initial rush from both team are interesting, however after that it's pretty much 1 spot vs. 1 spot. Comparing that to places like Ceyhan mid and Port mid, pretty much every other map, it becomes lacking.

Flashes may be inconsistent, but flashes still make or rushes for territory gain right out of the gate in certain areas. Not sure what you mean by smokes being a deathtrap, but completely crosspicks isn't useless.

Frag nades are a pile of ****, I will admit.

Can't compete but are on HT, your playstyle is doing something right unless you're on for full map only.
  • You should try playing compound how you would play factory passively. The rotate is really quick. Plus how mid is set up you don't really get a big benefit from attempting to hold it. The big window changes it up a lot compared to say factory middle. By playing it passively you also make them running a scope counter intuitive as he will just turn into a deagle when taking sites cause there are so many objects in the way of the good angles.

I am kind of sad compound never took off. I got some ridiculous **** for it.
  • fDNSauce wrote: »

^^ msg2short
    You should try playing compound how you would play factory passively. The rotate is really quick. Plus how mid is set up you don't really get a big benefit from attempting to hold it. The big window changes it up a lot compared to say factory middle. By playing it passively you also make them running a scope counter intuitive as he will just turn into a deagle when taking sites cause there are so many objects in the way of the good angles.

I am kind of sad compound never took off. I got some ridiculous **** for it.

GR or BL?

EDIT: Read again, taking sites, doh.
  • never scrimmed on compound but from what i've seen it can be played similar to factory as some of you guys have said... no point in holding mid and it seems very gr sided

DS is a great map overall and rotations take a long time so you'll see GR pushing out much more frequently. over-rotations are more detrimental... Also map has more places of entry which allows for a lot more variation when trying to take sites.
  • Compound: Camp bl spawn and wait for them to look for you

Desertstorm: So many places to hide.. ;p
  • lClypher wrote: »
    Desertstorm: rush mid
    Compound: rush mid

All maps: rush mid

Castle: rush A
    probably one of the dumbest comments ever posted on these forums...
    fDNSauce wrote: »
    LOL NOT SURPRISED SAUCE AGREEs
    dooplpk wrote: »
    rofl oh dear, you sound like mrn. no one goes out of their way to prefire unless they know someone is there.

Erick says:
    "i hope they know since the game is broke it always looks like you prefired LOL"

Brando says:
    "if someone peeks around the corner and shoots the other person the sec they see them with like 1/2 shots, it looks like prefire but its not most of the time"

Denxi said a whole bunch of irrelevant nerd talk that i was interested in, but eventually he also said:
    "I only prefire if I know or serious believe they are there. If I don't, I dont prefire"

i wanted to ask other good players but they weren't on or they were AFK, so hopefully they will respond to this post. i am pretty sure most will agree with what I'm saying. people are NOT prefiring, it is simply the effect that is created from the peeker's advantage.
  • mickeyes wrote: »

LOL NOT SURPRISED SAUCE AGREEs

rofl oh dear, you sound like mrn. no one goes out of their way to prefire unless they know someone is there.

Erick says:
    "i hope they know since the game is broke it always looks like you prefired LOL"

Brando says:
    "if someone peeks around the corner and shoots the other person the sec they see them with like 1/2 shots, it looks like prefire but its not most of the time"

Denxi said a whole bunch of irrelevant nerd talk that i was interested in, but eventually he also said:
    "I only prefire if I know or serious believe they are there. If I don't, I dont prefire"

i wanted to ask other good players but they weren't on or they were AFK, so hopefully they will respond to this post. i am pretty sure most will agree with what I'm saying. people are NOT prefiring, it is simply the effect that is created from the peeker's advantage.

i approve this message
  • compound is a joke

desertstorm involves thinking and strats

Playing angles worked great for you at mid on ceyhan in WOGL S1 finals. What was it 0/9?

mickeyes wrote: »

A good chunk of my kills are prefires so I figured other players did the same. Even then, if the game favors the peakers advantage so much it once again demonstrates that playing angles is the improper way to play.

mickeyes wrote: »
    Erick says:

Brando says:

You are right good players don't prefire.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d7dqUd28Yg
    Playing angles worked great for you at mid on ceyhan in WOGL S1 finals. What was it 0/9?

Good one, would have been funnier if I was actually the mid player and not the B player.
    You are right good players don't prefire.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d7dqUd28Yg

Just watched a minute or two of it, didn't see anything. Not going to waste 20 minutes watching that just to confirm what I already know. How about you give me some times where they "prefire"?
    Just watched a minute or two of it, didn't see anything. Not going to waste 20 minutes watching that just to confirm what I already know. How about you give me some times where they "prefire"?

mav prefires nearly every round. apparently, you are just to unskilled to see it.

1. peak see someone
    2. repeak while prefiring
    3. profit

also do you not see the random spam vs common spots throughout the whole thing?