Mouse Acceleration, Whats Your Side?

Mouse Acceleration

Maybe you have heard about it, maybe you haven't. The fact is it's prevalent in this game, and there is no sure method to disable it. MarkC wont help you, along with any of the old registry fixes. Over the past month I've asked almost a lot different people about mouse acceleration and how it affects them. Whats the average response? “i dont notice it”, “i dont have any”, “not a big deal”. (Some exceptions!)

This can be surprising for some of us, how can someone not know about something that has been ruining pc gamers aim for years? In 2009 I played so much CrossFire that by the end of that year I didn't feel a thing, I was just so used to handling it like everyone else. The fact here is that most of us are new to competitive fps gaming here in CrossFire. There aren't many people here who are old enough to be first generation gamers from Quake, Counter Strike, etc etc etc. I got lucky because of my team back in 2008, we had a few experienced players who showed me how to remove the mouse acceleration from the games I played along with all the tweaks that make gaming better.

So what is mouse acceleration? Simply put it's this effect being put on your mouse that slows down and speeds up according to how fast your mouse is moving. What does this really mean for you? Basically you are constantly wasting your efforts on making the mouse acceleration work in your favor. Unless you have amazing handling, the mouse acceleration will never allow you to make the same two movements across the same space of mousepad.

Now on the other hand, if you could lesson the impact or completely remove mouse acceleration you would make precise movements ALL THE TIME. Your hand and mind will become so used to this accuracy that you can move around with ease. Yet, because of mouse acceleration, all CrossFire players who want to go competitive are never going to reach their full potential because of this one issue alone. Obviously there are good players already, but you can become so much better without having to worry about this.

I'm not going to dig up player testimonials and all the articles from the past 10 years, but hopefully you see what I'm trying to get at. As a community we need to GET THIS FIXED. It doesn't matter if some ignorant moderator or player thinks it's not a big issue. CrossFire got announced in for the ESL Pro Series, and there is a possibly of another WCG, etc in the future. Don't we want to try to reach our full potential for these future events?

TL;DR : Mouse acceleration is ruining the potential in this community, your thoughts?

Comments

• tl;dr???? ?

I'll add one, JUST PHOQUING READ IT WHILE YOUR WAITING.
  • loanb2g wrote: »
    MarkC wont help you

It does help some unless you have acceleration enabled in your OS, what mouse do you use?
  • It does help some unless you have acceleration enabled in your OS, what mouse do you use?

You want to prove that? I know everything there is to know about MarkC. It's possible it could help slightly, but it's not going to remove the mouse accel to the degree I am talking about.
    You want to prove that? I know everything there is to know about MarkC. It's possible it could help slightly, but it's not going to remove the mouse accel to the degree I am talking about.

[NOT TO SCALE]

[Before MarkC]
    1. I moved my mouse from one edge of my qck+ to the other edge, as slow as I could do it without timing out of the room and it did this much movement

|
    |

2. I moved my mouse from one edge of my qck+ to the other edge, as fast as I could and It did this much movement

|
    |

[After MarkC]
    1. I moved my mouse from one edge of my qck+ to the other edge, as slow as I could do it without timing out of the room and it did this much movement

|
    |

2. I moved my mouse from one edge of my qck+ to the other edge, as fast as I could and it did this much movement

|
    |

Better results, won't be completely fixed until the chinese are done making gold nades for their cf.
  • [NOT TO SCALE]

[Before MarkC]

|
    |

2.I moved my I moved my mouse from one edge of my qck+ to the other edge, as fast as I could and It did this much movement

|
    |

[After MarkC]

|
    |

2. I moved my mouse from one edge of my qck+ to the other edge, as fast as I could and it did this much movement

|
    |

Better results, won't be completely fixed until the chinese are done making gold nades for their cf.

Good to know, I'm going to run some tests, thanks for the info!
    Good to know, I'm going to run some tests, thanks for the info!

Why thank you kind sir.
  • I'm hoping sometime tonight people read this and realize they aren't reaching their potential in CF.

I need thoughts, opinions, ideas, petitions, etc.
    I'm hoping sometime tonight people read this and realize they aren't reaching their potential in CF.

I need thoughts, opinions, ideas, petitions, etc.

just one word:Amazing

Aprretiate what you're doing for this community , ur helping us out with points we never tought before ( I was used to playing cf that i never really looked into the basic) keep up the work for this community

EDIT:
    About the circle aim , i've been using it quite awhile now (3months) and it agree with the opinion from the guy above me, Other than that , I don't know if people actually noticed , or maybe I can't aim :s but I seem to notice a slight malfunction On A Crosshair?!
    It just seems they programmed bad like 1mm off or something like that , becouse I can't REALLY hit my target couse the crosshair is right on it , it could be becouse I canot aim with that crosshair :p , but since I have no facts or proofs that support this theory if you could somehow ran some tests or a programmer enlighten me I would appreciate.
  • Im used to the mouse accel, since ive been playing for 3 years. In CSS i disable mouse accel and it feels a tad better.
  • Kuoras wrote: »
    just one word:Amazing

Aprretiate what you're doing for this community , ur helping us out with points we never tought before ( I was used to playing cf that i never really looked into the basic) keep up the work for this community

EDIT:
    About the circle aim , i've been using it quite awhile now (3months) and it agree with the opinion from the guy above me, Other than that , I don't know if people actually noticed , or maybe I can't aim :s but I seem to notice a slight malfunction On A Crosshair?!
    It just seems they programmed bad like 1mm off or something like that , becouse I can't REALLY hit my target couse the crosshair is right on it , it could be becouse I canot aim with that crosshair :p , but since I have no facts or proofs that support this theory if you could somehow ran some tests or a programmer enlighten me I would appreciate.

If you look closely at the A crosshair on some resolutions, you will notice it isn't sized properly. (Example: on 800x600 my bottom and right lines are smaller then the rest.) Most games size the crosshair on a single resolution like 640x480 and then let it run on top whatever resolution you have in-game. This allows it to stay the same size and centered since it's always in 640x480. Doesn't seem to be the case for CF. Maybe it's because my aspect ratio stretches the 4:3 into fullscreen, but I don't have this issue in other games.
    Jakedotdot wrote: »
    Im used to the mouse accel, since ive been playing for 3 years. In CSS i disable mouse accel and it feels a tad better.

I know what you mean. If you were to switch to CSS and only CSS for a month with the best possible mouse acceleration and mouse settings, when you get back to CF you will notice some big inconsistency. I basically ended CF early 2011, after coming back this month I noticed I can't and never will be able to play CF normally again unless this is fixed.
  • yea you get used to it even if youre a sniper >>>> your brain is very complex and can even get used to mouse acceleration and you will be just as good, however it takes so much longer
  • Petrovbg wrote: »
    yea you get used to it even if youre a sniper >>>> your brain is very complex and can even get used to mouse acceleration and you will be just as good, however it takes so much longer

Yeah, but if given the option to remove it and a week to get used to perfect accuracy, wouldn't you take it? When I switched back in 2008 it was definitely one of the better things I could have done at that point. I want this thread to be about awareness and possibly getting someone to notice the issue and have the developers do what they can.
  • If anyone wants to look into the Windows 7 MarkC fix, check out the original source:

http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=1846538

It has everything you will ever need to know, you just need to read.
  • Did the WCG CF version have mouse accel? PS Did it have widescreen bug? (I REALLY WANT TO KNOW).
  • NIIIXE wrote: »
    Did the WCG CF version have mouse accel? PS Did it have widescreen bug? (I REALLY WANT TO KNOW).

Nobody mentioned any differences I can remember, maybe I'm wrong.
  • NIIIXE wrote: »
    Did the WCG CF version have mouse accel? PS Did it have widescreen bug? (I REALLY WANT TO KNOW).

The WCG CF version felt quite different to ours, I think I felt the accel more on that client, and I didn't bother installing any mouse fixes since I heard they had no effects. The widescreen bug...I really don't think there was one because one of my teammates used a widescreen resolution and didn't complain about the bug. Then again the monitor were 27 inches, it was a different experience playing on them in general seeing as most people use 24 or below for gaming. We didn't have much time to test it out as we just hopped into our games, so we just had to make the best of it.

On a side note, some of the mechanics of the game were different as well, such as movement speed, jumping height, and recoil on the m4, which made it difficult to burst and get kills.
  • After playing a game without mouse accel for a while, and you come back to this game it's VERY noticeable. I've never once complained about it up until I started playing urt.

It's so easy to get used to though, because it's not that much at all.
  • SAUCEALT wrote: »
    After playing a game without mouse accel for a while, and you come back to this game it's VERY noticeable. I've never once complained about it up until I started playing urt.

It's so easy to get used to though, because it's not that much at all.

It isn't bad for me, I can notice it barely but it's why I get really inconsistent if I played other games for like a week and come back.
  • mav_v wrote: »
    It isn't bad for me, I can notice it barely but it's why I get really inconsistent if I played other games for like a week and come back.

Certain games like urt make you flick your mouse every second. Playing that for a week straight and not touching CF at all, you'll notice the mouse accel ezpz.
  • Yeah, after some scrims last night I realized I can manage, but I definitely don't have the same aim I have for other games. One of the greatest things that could happen is for the right person to notice and add in some options for us to choose on our own, instead of being forced to use mouse accel.
  • If this hasn't happened on other versions it simply won't happen on this one.
  • nznipS wrote: »
    If this hasn't happened on other versions it simply won't happen on this one.

I don't think the other versions have much difference in the community that we have. Most people being un-aware of mouse accel and getting used to it, with people from outside coming in an complaining.
  • I feel like mouse acceleration is holding me back really badly.
    Today I played CF with some Source players and after playing about three pubs they literally left and uninstalled, because they felt the mouse acceleration was messing up their gameplay.

The game won't grow competitively if the mouse acceleration is kept in. After I started playing Source my aim has sort of degraded, because I'm more used to the way of aiming on Source. I've also noticed you can easily play on a higher sensitivity if you play without mouse acceleration, making you faster than usual and increasing your level of play.

Whilst I'm talking about Source, I also feel like the flashbang grenades on this game are incredibly awful. You can't really lob them in places and they don't even flash nearly as bad. Even if they fully flash you it's easy to run away without bumping into stuff, because the full HUD is still visible. Tweaking smoke grenades to not show names would make the game a lot better and would attract a lot more players.

That's just my two cents.
  • sbvermS wrote: »
    I feel like mouse acceleration is holding me back really badly.
    Today I played CF with some Source players and after playing about three pubs they literally left and uninstalled, because they felt the mouse acceleration was messing up their gameplay.

The game won't grow competitively if the mouse acceleration is kept in. After I started playing Source my aim has sort of degraded, because I'm more used to the way of aiming on Source. I've also noticed you can easily play on a higher sensitivity if you play without mouse acceleration, making you faster than usual and increasing your level of play.

Whilst I'm talking about Source, I also feel like the flashbang grenades on this game are incredibly awful. You can't really lob them in places and they don't even flash nearly as bad. Even if they fully flash you it's easy to run away without bumping into stuff, because the full HUD is still visible. Tweaking smoke grenades to not show names would make the game a lot better and would attract a lot more players.

That's just my two cents.

Good stuff, agreed.

and

Listen to this from when it starts, its set to a marked point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WmbDLQ31cBs#t=146s
  • I've always disliked it and never use it in games, but since CF didn't had an option, never been bothered about it much. But since it has been brought up now, I'd love to have an option for it. (gonna check the markc later when i get home from work)
  • PlatinumC wrote: »
    I've always disliked it and never use it in games, but since CF didn't had an option, never been bothered about it much. But since it has been brought up now, I'd love to have an option for it. (gonna check the markc later when i get home from work)

I'm sure other people feel the same.
  • I'm sure someone has something else to say...Right?
  • Tim, I must admit I've noticed a really big difference once I installed cpl mouse fix on Windows XP I previously ran, back before Battlefield 3 was out.
    Ever since I had to update to Windows7 (because of the game mentioned above) I haven't tried anything yet. I'm not sure whether it completely removed the mouse accel in CF (on XP) or not, but it surely felt better.