WCG 2011 ESS Qualifiers

So ESS has been chosen to qualify the top teams for the nine supported titles at WCG 2011. Obviously we need to wait about updates in regards to Cross Fire, but it obviously looks like the qualifiers wont mirror what happened for WEM last year. Does it matter? Is ESS really going to qualify little old Cross Fire? I doubt anyone really knows yet. Time to wait some more, can't wait to see what happens!

Edit: Forgot to note that ESS is doing qualifiers for the United States.

You can find out all the info in the link below.
NEW YORK, NY - March 11, 2011 - ESS, a technology and events agency specializing in video games entertainment activations, today announced that it has been selected as the official United States strategic partner by the World Cyber Games (WCG). ESS will be producing the official 2011 WCG USA qualification program to determine the best video gamers that will represent Team USA at the WCG Grand Finals. This year's WCG Grand Finals will be held in Korea in the Fall, and Team USA members will be competing for medals and cash prizes in nine of the most popular competitive PC and Xbox 360 video game titles including StarCraft® II: Wings of Liberty™, World of Warcraft®, and Counter-Strike 1.6.

With its long history of operating successful video game competitions in the United Sates, ESS will be conducting a series of online and live event competitions culminating in a USA National Finals. ESS will be launching a new WCG USA community portal (http://us.wcg.com) where gamers can register to compete in qualifying events, socialize with other gamers, and follow the latest gaming news. ESS will be providing its proven proprietary events management technology to power the new community portal and all of the qualifying events for this years' program.

"WCG has long been a respected organization and brand amongst gamers in the United States, and we are excited to have a leading role in driving this year's WCG USA program," said Craig Levine, ESS' VP of Business Development. "Having been integral partners to many competitive video game leagues and organizations over the past ten years, we will call upon our knowledge and experience to create an exciting and impactful program."

Levine continued, "As the WCG USA Strategic Partner, we are able to leverage the outstanding WCG reputation of being the world's premier eSports tournament and festival. Combined with our deep-rooted understanding of the video game community and our growing suite of event technologies, WCG USA will be a powerful platform that allows valued interaction amongst the vibrant community of gamers and its sponsors and partners."

"Opening a new decade of WCG, we are honored to have ESS join us as our WCG US partner" said Brad Lee, President and CEO of World Cyber Games. "ESS not only brings the understanding and expertise of the gaming industry to this property, but also has a strong vision to expand the boundaries of competitive gaming"

Source(s): http://us.wcg.com/

Comments

• Hmmm cool.
    Wonder how EU is going to be considered.
  • Sounds interesting....

WCG certainly is a major major boost for cf
  • loneB wrote: »
    So ESS has been chosen to qualify the top teams for the nine supported titles at WCG 2011. Obviously we need to wait about updates in regards to Cross Fire, but it obviously looks like the qualifiers wont mirror what happened for WEM last year. Does it matter? Is ESS really going to qualify little old Cross Fire? I doubt anyone really knows yet. Time to wait some more, can't wait to see what happens!

Edit: Forgot to note that ESS is doing qualifiers for the United States.

You can find out all the info in the link below.

Source(s): http://us.wcg.com/

Thanks for the info. Hope we can send somebody over there.
  • When I read that today on Sk I was kind of shocked...
    Lol Cf but no Quake, gotta be ****ing kiding me.
    Yeah so anyways Crossfire deserves a chance I guess.

As for this being a competitive game, I actually have some hope left.
  • sLizeD wrote: »
    When I read that today on Sk I was kind of shocked...

Hundreds of people do not agree with the game list, especially for Tekken 6, Crossfire, Special Force, and League of Legends. Its too late in any case, maybe 2012 will have a better list.
  • loneB wrote: »
    Hundreds of people do not agree with the game list, especially for Tekken 6, Crossfire, Special Force, and League of Legends. Its too late in any case, maybe 2012 will have a better list.

i guess you are right.. they are in such a rush right now.
  • sLizeD wrote: »
    When I read that today on Sk I was kind of shocked...

cos quake cant get enough votes.

its just in IEM and Quakecon cos ID sponsors it.
  • Tweakz1g wrote: »
    cos quake cant get enough votes.

its just in IEM and Quakecon cos ID sponsors it.
    Which is why the public shouldn't be voting.

HoN should've been picked over LoL.
    WoW shouldn't be there at all.
    Not sure how the hell Tekken got in over MvC3 or SSF4, considering only the Japanese play Tekken and the rest of the fighting scene plays the other 2.
    Special Force afaik isn't even out in NA/EU.

No Quake, no Trackmania. What the hell.

Definitely shows why the public shouldn't be voting on a list of games meant to be played for competition, when the choices that win clearly aren't the best competitive games for their genre.

With ESS running it, won't be surprised if you only see teams for a couple of the games go. It's up to ESS for what games they want to send people for.
    I know for damn sure that USA has never sent a trackmania player for the years trackmania was in WCG, although sent players for most of the other games.
  • so if ESS is only sending USA teams, no canadian players would be eligible eh?
  • G2Wolf wrote: »

Um...

sf.ijji.com

It's been out for like 4 years...
    Which is why the public shouldn't be voting.

HoN should've been picked over LoL.
    WoW shouldn't be there at all.
    Not sure how the hell Tekken got in over MvC3 or SSF4, considering only the Japanese play Tekken and the rest of the fighting scene plays the other 2.

No Quake, no Trackmania. What the hell.

Definitely shows why the public shouldn't be voting on a list of games meant to be played for competition, when the choices that win clearly aren't the best competitive games for their genre.

With ESS running it, won't be surprised if you only see teams for a couple of the games go. It's up to ESS for what games they want to send people for.
    I know for damn sure that USA has never sent a trackmania player for the years trackmania was in WCG, although sent players for most of the other games.

It's a matter of interest not a matter of most competitive game.
    Not everyone likes soccer but it's still the most viewed sport in the world, yet americans would most likely say they prefer baseball or American football while those sports are as good as dead here soccer.

e-sports is spectator based in Asia so if they can get a lot more spectators (meaning it will be more attractive for sponsors to sponsor it) they will obv do that over a game simply cos it's more competitive.

and imo that's not even a bad thing.

edit: And yea special force (aKa Soldier front) has been out for years.
  • Meh, quick google search found me an article saying they were finally bringing Special Force to NA like a month ago. Didn't realize Soldier Front is the same game.
    Tweakz1g wrote: »
    e-sports is spectator based in Asia so if they can get a lot more spectators (meaning it will be more attractive for sponsors to sponsor it) they will obv do that over a game simply cos it's more competitive.

and imo that's not even a bad thing.
    It's WCG. People will watch regardless of if it's HoN or LoL. And based on the number of comments on the article announcing the games list, there's no reason that Trackmania shouldn't be on that list.

There's a lot of people would rather watch real competition instead of games that are meant for casual players, and a lot of their game choices just removed a whole bunch of the hardcore gaming spectators they're trying to sell to.

Hm... So CF might not have any North American representation in this year's WCG. Oh well; it's a Korean game anyway, and this is the first year it's making an appearance on the WCG roster. Can't expect a whole lot of North American support for it.
  • Hm... So CF might not have any North American representation in this year's WCG. Oh well; it's a Korean game anyway, and this is the first year it's making an appearance on the WCG roster. Can't expect a whole lot of North American support for it.

I'm pretty sure thats incorrect. NA will have representation, refer back to the post made by FallenAngel/Frank stating that z8 will be sending players to the WCG.
  • thepolo wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure thats incorrect. NA will have representation, refer back to the post made by FallenAngel/Frank stating that z8 will be sending players to the WCG.
    They need to work out a deal with ESS and/or WCG to do it then, because I doubt ESS will run a qualifier for it on their own.
  • I stand- ....I applaud- ....I was e-mailed by someone informing me that Craig's firm will be organizing the US qualifiers for WCG. This could EASILY be the best thing that WCG has done in the past year or two; Following some brainless PR and organizational bumps they produced on their own. For those who DON'T know, which I'm very sure is 90% of this community [without Googling], the founders and personnel of ESS are the JUGGERNAUTS of the e-sports world. The experience alone [persons involved] on ALL levels blows the doors off of MOST competitors as administrator, management, and players. Persons involved [arguably] are the majority in reasons for the height of Counter-Strike. How does this translate into Cross Fire? This COULD- be the opportunity Cross Fire needs for any shot at a North American revolution. ESEA [ESEA is a product of the personnel of ESSA] has LOOKED at the game once, with SOME playing experience. But this is a new field. They're looking DIRECTLY into the belly of the competitive field [whether they host the CF qualifiers or not].

Here- is where the road divides. Will ESSA host a qualifier for Cross Fire [US]? I can assure you that representatives of ESSA and/or G4 Box Inc. have or SOON will be in discussion with releasing LAN/Dev boxes; Which I see more as G4 Box Inc. employees traveling to monitor and control. How will this effect the current assortment of members and teams? Unfortunately, the top tier teams are split into Canada and the United States. There HAVE been cases of Canadian participants qualifying in the US, but in the past year(s), WCG [CA] have been great with hosting their qualifiers in Toronto. Grand Final appearances are a STRICT 5v5, country policy. Meaning ALL members of the participating team MUST be from the same country. And it will take some SERIOUS convincing to sway ANYTHING with the officiating personnel of WCG in allowing mixed country teams in the case of Cross Fire and the multi-country situation. Cross Fire WILL be a circuit title, not a demo, promotional title there for future purposes....So there will be strict views; Unlike LoL in Los Angeles, CA 2010. In the terms of the EU side; EU qualifiers are held on their own as well. IF, any qualifiers surface, expect them in New York, NY or Dallas, TX. The debate as to how and who can qualify will ultimately come down to how WCG & ESSA view this situation; Cross Fire [NA/UK] has such a large radius of product use.

If I may add ANY advice in this situation is take this process serious. DO NOT ALLOW third party hosting 'organizations' any authority. G4 Box Inc., LISTEN to what ESSA & WCG have to say if and when anything is discussed. ESSA could ultimately further your brand as an organization yourself. Approach this situation with an open mind. If a LAN is what they suggest, than a LAN would be your best option. This may be a vast community, but everything MUST be looked upon in the terms of a serious circuit event. THIS- could be the next big step for for all parties involved. DON'T look to the community for advice or ideas to sway anyone's opinion; Especially in the terms of qualifying. NOTHING is more even than ALL parties with EQUAL ping, STRICT weapon sets and QUALIFIED OFFICIALS. ESSA could be the ticket this product needs for further exposure because lets face it, the CURRENT marketing package and promotions for this game are terrible. More so, the lack of actual hard marketing in areas of traffic for investors, sponsors, competition, etc.. MMO sites bring in the casual crowd, and this is a new leaf. An open window for big business options. WCG was a GOOD reason CF_China received their sponsorship with AMD, Razer & Mountain Dew. More big business revenue = less financial strain. Possibly bring in stronger developers to reduce the number of issues, fix errors and possibly working on strengthening the client and platform for the future. Becoming less dependent on content to fuel the income for all service/product fees and company streams [payroll and such].

My Opinion: Nothing but problems will come of this. People WILL be left out. People WILL have an issue at every angle because this community has been spoon fed and babied in the case of competitive gaming due to the ACTUAL lack of administrative experience in competitive gaming in general. And G4 Box Inc. will feel this need to cater to them. Due to the amount of issues with the game and servers itself, this COULD be the only glint of light for Cross Fire [NA/UK]. Because lets face it, the ONLY reason CF is titled is because of it's popularity in the hosting country. If G4 Box Inc. doesn't take any of the seriousness away from this event than you can only go backwards. DO NOT go to WOGL, ESL, or whatever company for advice and/or hosting. LISTEN to anything ESSA has to say...Extend your hand sand mind in making this happen. Everything is so on the edge to the vastness of this community, and nobody you'll talk to will have better answers than those guys who have the most experience and credentials.

I wish the best of the situation, the event and the teams participating. I will see those at the qualifier [if there is one]. And given the team(s) that do go...chances are we'll see each other at WCG Seoul, KR 2011. Blessings.
  • I stand- ....I applaud- ....I was e-mailed by someone informing me that Craig's firm will be organizing the US qualifiers for WCG. This could EASILY be the best thing that WCG has done in the past year or two; Following some brainless PR and organizational bumps they produced on their own. For those who DON'T know, which I'm very sure is 90% of this community [without Googling], the founders and personnel of ESS are the JUGGERNAUTS of the e-sports world. The experience alone [persons involved] on ALL levels blows the doors off of MOST competitors as administrator, management, and players. Persons involved [arguably] are the majority in reasons for the height of Counter-Strike. How does this translate into Cross Fire? This COULD- be the opportunity Cross Fire needs for any shot at a North American revolution. ESEA [ESEA is a product of the personnel of ESSA] has LOOKED at the game once, with SOME playing experience. But this is a new field. They're looking DIRECTLY into the belly of the competitive field [whether they host the CF qualifiers or not].

Here- is where the road divides. Will ESSA host a qualifier for Cross Fire [US]? I can assure you that representatives of ESSA and/or G4 Box Inc. have or SOON will be in discussion with releasing LAN/Dev boxes; Which I see more as G4 Box Inc. employees traveling to monitor and control. How will this effect the current assortment of members and teams? Unfortunately, the top tier teams are split into Canada and the United States. There HAVE been cases of Canadian participants qualifying in the US, but in the past year(s), WCG [CA] have been great with hosting their qualifiers in Toronto. Grand Final appearances are a STRICT 5v5, country policy. Meaning ALL members of the participating team MUST be from the same country. And it will take some SERIOUS convincing to sway ANYTHING with the officiating personnel of WCG in allowing mixed country teams in the case of Cross Fire and the multi-country situation. Cross Fire WILL be a circuit title, not a demo, promotional title there for future purposes....So there will be strict views; Unlike LoL in Los Angeles, CA 2010. In the terms of the EU side; EU qualifiers are held on their own as well. IF, any qualifiers surface, expect them in New York, NY or Dallas, TX. The debate as to how and who can qualify will ultimately come down to how WCG & ESSA view this situation; Cross Fire [NA/UK] has such a large radius of product use.

If I may add ANY advice in this situation is take this process serious. DO NOT ALLOW third party hosting 'organizations' any authority. G4 Box Inc., LISTEN to what ESSA & WCG have to say if and when anything is discussed. ESSA could ultimately further your brand as an organization yourself. Approach this situation with an open mind. If a LAN is what they suggest, than a LAN would be your best option. This may be a vast community, but everything MUST be looked upon in the terms of a serious circuit event. THIS- could be the next big step for for all parties involved. DON'T look to the community for advice or ideas to sway anyone's opinion; Especially in the terms of qualifying. NOTHING is more even than ALL parties with EQUAL ping, STRICT weapon sets and QUALIFIED OFFICIALS. ESSA could be the ticket this product needs for further exposure because lets face it, the CURRENT marketing package and promotions for this game are terrible. More so, the lack of actual hard marketing in areas of traffic for investors, sponsors, competition, etc.. MMO sites bring in the casual crowd, and this is a new leaf. An open window for big business options. WCG was a GOOD reason CF_China received their sponsorship with AMD, Razer & Mountain Dew. More big business revenue = less financial strain. Possibly bring in stronger developers to reduce the number of issues, fix errors and possibly working on strengthening the client and platform for the future. Becoming less dependent on content to fuel the income for all service/product fees and company streams [payroll and such].

My Opinion: Nothing but problems will come of this. People WILL be left out. People WILL have an issue at every angle because this community has been spoon fed and babied in the case of competitive gaming due to the ACTUAL lack of administrative experience in competitive gaming in general. And G4 Box Inc. will feel this need to cater to them. Due to the amount of issues with the game and servers itself, this COULD be the only glint of light for Cross Fire [NA/UK]. Because lets face it, the ONLY reason CF is titled is because of it's popularity in the hosting country. If G4 Box Inc. doesn't take any of the seriousness away from this event than you can only go backwards. DO NOT go to WOGL, ESL, or whatever company for advice and/or hosting. LISTEN to anything ESSA has to say...Extend your hand sand mind in making this happen. Everything is so on the edge to the vastness of this community, and nobody you'll talk to will have better answers than those guys who have the most experience and credentials.

I wish the best of the situation, the event and the teams participating. I will see those at the qualifier [if there is one]. And given the team(s) that do go...chances are we'll see each other at WCG Seoul, KR 2011. Blessings.

i read all this..

I second this notion. I've been there four times. Three qualifiers and a top 3 finish in WCG USA for CS 1.5. They know what they're doing so just get your foot in the door G4.
  • I second this notion. I've been there four times. Three qualifiers and a top 3 finish in WCG USA for CS 1.5. They know what they're doing so just get your foot in the door G4.

3rding this. Been there once. They truly are amazing and it's a great atmosphere.
    Meh, quick google search found me an article saying they were finally bringing Special Force to NA like a month ago. Didn't realize Soldier Front is the same game.

It's WCG. People will watch regardless of if it's HoN or LoL. And based on the number of comments on the article announcing the games list, there's no reason that Trackmania shouldn't be on that list.

There's a lot of people would rather watch real competition instead of games that are meant for casual players, and a lot of their game choices just removed a whole bunch of the hardcore gaming spectators they're trying to sell to.

u are quite obviously not familiar with the asian gaming scene.
    I won't start a discussion as it seems its unable to get a reasonable discussion going on these forums without starting any huge flame wars.