Question about crossfire's Reg System

Is it client or server sided? Because if you view a replay (which I think is the server's view) most of the shots look like they horribly missed yet they counted (which is why I avoid using replay footage in my montages).

Comments

• server sided (if it was client sided you'd get a lot more people who'd modem tap), but the replay records the client side (i think).
  • wrong. it is Client sided, which is why the hit detection is so bad...
    if it was server sided, then no one with a pinger over 150 could even play.
    and the replay, as far as i can tell is just a pile of crap that does not accurately record hit locations, (bullet marks) or even head shots half the time. nor does it accurately record mouse movement.
  • RendoRazor wrote: »
    wrong. it is Client sided, which is why the hit detection is so bad...
    if it was server sided, then no one with a pinger over 150 could even play.
    and the replay, as far as i can tell is just a pile of crap that does not accurately record hit locations, (bullet marks) or even head shots half the time. nor does it accurately record mouse movement.

its server sided, if it would be client sided evre would have a 100% reg rate.

chances are its:
    player 1 shoot player b
    send packed to z8's server
    z8's server send packet to player b
    player b see if he get hit, if he does; send packet to server saying he got hit.
    server send packet to player a
    player a get the kill

thats about the only way it could be with such a wierd reging.

edit: actualy nvm, i forgot about the shot behind a wall problem. this theory is prety much gone.
  • So it's client sided? How does server-sided hit detection work anyway?
  • People with high latency will appear on your screen at one point but actually be in another position on the servers view...

The data has to be sent from the players client to the server and shown on everyone elses client... so if you have a high ping, playing a person with a high ping... good chances are you are gonna rage..

This is why you see blood flying from someone you shot but them not taking any reg.. the client shows you hitting them but the server doesnt.

Also yes, the Replay is what the server sees, hence why it looks so weird
  • Alright, thanks everyone for answering my questions. I was just curious.
  • People with high latency will appear on your screen at one point but actually be in another position on the servers view...

The data has to be sent from the players client to the server and shown on everyone elses client... so if you have a high ping, playing a person with a high ping... good chances are you are gonna rage..

This is why you see blood flying from someone you shot but them not taking any reg.. the client shows you hitting them but the server doesnt.

Also yes, the Replay is what the server sees, hence why it looks so weird

So by you saying that does that mean the higher pings have the advantage or do they have the same problem seeing a low pinger?
  • Rabbz wrote: »
    So by you saying that does that mean the higher pings have the advantage or do they have the same problem seeing a low pinger?

No because then they too have horrible reg on everyone else..
  • mhmmm,

I got one of those pings, where every1 tanks me, but i don't tank them :/ T_T
  • mhmmm,

I got one of those pings, where every1 tanks me, but i don't tank them :/ T_T
    being medium pinged sucks :C (60~)
  • Well...

Let's skip the fact that the reg system is horrible

OK it's server sided I think

Oh and the replay lags...
    I hit someone with the shovel

In the replay it shows no hit but he died
  • Yes z8games need to get more servers in different countries so people dont lag. I would like a server in australia, yes z8games need a license to do that, well y don't they?
  • im curious, in the future, will the game engine be updated? i mean, looking at some actual shooters, Black Ops, Bad Company 2, they are amazing besides Crossfire, which isnt much above C1.6.

In the next 5 years lets say, users wont have crappy pc's, everybody will have a dual core, that will be something like minimum system requirments.

so do the developers think about this? pc evolves very fast, the game will become very old in a few years, from all points of view, graphics, sound, interface, ping, reg system, etc.

Are they actually considering changing the game engine?
  • oNe_sKiL wrote: »
    Yes z8games need to get more servers in different countries so people dont lag. I would like a server in australia, yes z8games need a license to do that, well y don't they?
    theres an uk server, a us south server, and yet, alpha still have more br,ger and turks then anything else, when i ask then why their in alpha instead of being in the server they lag the less, they just sudently stop talking.
  • all registry is done with server calculations

everyones game client sends info to the servers, and the servers decide what actually happened.

the big misconception that is throwing you off is you are guessing that the replay is an accurate representation of the things that the server sees. it isn't, it works similar to how sourcetv works. the clients send info to the server and the server puts a rough estimate of what happened into the replay file.
    Yes z8games need to get more servers in different countries so people dont lag. I would like a server in australia, yes z8games need a license to do that, well y don't they?
    Because they can't get the license.
  • Chromatix wrote: »
    Because they can't get the license.

Its not up to Z8games its up to G4box. They have to wait until their current contract is up.
    No because then they too have horrible reg on everyone else..

It definantly seems that high pings have the advantage lately. They are getting reg like no other and here I am standing like a fish on sand because shots wont reg on them.
  • A contract can be renegotiated at any time. It's all about the sides to get to an agreement.
  • iwrnr wrote: »
    A contract can be renegotiated at any time. It's all about the sides to get to an agreement.

Thats true but rarely does it happen by the time its up.

I would assume its probably like a 2 yr thing and those rarely get changed. Its the longer contracts that do.
    Its not up to Z8games its up to G4box. They have to wait until their current contract is up.

It definantly seems that high pings have the advantage lately. They are getting reg like no other and here I am standing like a fish on sand because shots wont reg on them.

finally i see someone notice this lately..
    i had notice since halloween patch.. n it's getting worse..
    my ping 58 very stable all the time. .
    n i used to pick up headshot ez.. but since halloween patch i seens like the headshot picks up blood everywhere ,but barely dies .. n sometimes 2x heashot does 98 damage than i died..
    n after xmas patch it's getting worse.. .
  • forever119 wrote: »
    finally i see someone notice this lately..
    i had notice since halloween patch.. n it's getting worse..
    my ping 58 very stable all the time. .
    n i used to pick up headshot ez.. but since halloween patch i seens like the headshot picks up blood everywhere ,but barely dies .. n sometimes 2x heashot does 98 damage than i died..
    n after xmas patch it's getting worse.. .

xmas patch i really noticed it. It seems since most of the community lags that they changed something to give them better reg so the majority of the community would QQ less about it. Mine is a constant 38 ping.

Its just kinda odd that they are lagging yet they are able to see me first and shoot me before I even get a chance sometimes.
    xmas patch i really noticed it. It seems since most of the community lags that they changed something to give them better reg so the majority of the community would QQ less about it. Mine is a constant 38 ping.

Its just kinda odd that they are lagging yet they are able to see me first and shoot me before I even get a chance sometimes.
    happens to me all the time
  • happens to me all the time

Im also glad to see its not just me. I was starting to think I was just getting bad but something has to of changed.

This has already been explained to you multiple times in other threads.
    OldJohn wrote: »
    im curious, in the future, will the game engine be updated? i mean, looking at some actual shooters, Black Ops, Bad Company 2, they are amazing besides Crossfire, which isnt much above C1.6.

In the next 5 years lets say, users wont have crappy pc's, everybody will have a dual core, that will be something like minimum system requirments.

so do the developers think about this? pc evolves very fast, the game will become very old in a few years, from all points of view, graphics, sound, interface, ping, reg system, etc.

Are they actually considering changing the game engine?

I certainly hope so and wait, crossfire isn't multithreaded?
  • They should make games like FPS' less laggy.
  • SupBabe wrote: »
    They should make games like FPS' less laggy.

The game itself really isnt that laggy. Its the players with high pings that are laggy. Or low frames per second.