[How to do well in Alaska] Guide

Hi Forumers! My IGN is Jamatrix, from the clan nleashed. The goal of this guide mainly aims to increase your KDR in Alaska map, so you can win more often by the same time.

Introduction

The shape of this map is square and the map is 99% symmetrical (1% come from the emplacement of weapons and some structures). You can either defend your base or attack the opponent's base; you do whatever you want, it depends on how you feel or what you are the best at.

It is important for you to know the exact location of EVERY single weapon in the map. This will save your life more than once, trust me.

Basic informations

It is important to get your best/favorite weapon the fastest possible, then a sidearm, then a grenade if there is one left. Remember the order: Main weapon, then sidearm, then grenade. Because you don't want to rush to be sure to get a nade then risk to get a bad weapon because all the others are taken.

The main weapon you choose will decide the type of player you will be; Don't rush the opponent's base with a AWM and don't defend your base at long distance with a MP5, for example. I want to mention this too: If you know that player X is a beast with AWM (for example) and he is getting a lot of kill with it, don't steal it just to embarrass him or show you can do same; you risk to lose the game.

Tactics

There is (mainly) 5 tactics in this map. I define them, then give the pros and cons and some tips.

1. Offensive rush: This play style can be defined as: You always run and try to kill the enemy as soon as you see him. You try to hide/escape backward only to reload or when your HP are critical. SMG's and any high rate of fire weapon are preferable. You might not have the time to take a sidearm or a grenade. You rarely crouch but you jump a lot to make yourself a more difficult target.

Pros: - It surprises your enemy (at least if it's not the 514th billion time you do it...)
- It put a certain pressure on the enemy team, so they concentrate their efforts on you, the offensive rusher, so they forget a bit to defend the other side of the map.

Cons: - You will die quickly if you are outnumbered.
- You might get killed by campers (behind doors, walls, columns, boxes...)

Tips: Try to jump at every corner you turn. Try to hear if they are coming at you. Always do a quick-look at a camper place, even if you are following an escaping enemy (this saved my life very often). Don't hesitate to go back and change your tactic if you see that they are waiting for you or you are outnumbered. You can do a kamikaze assault by going left right after the beginning, taking Steyr Aug (BL) or Sg552 (GR) and rushing them. Don't do it too often.

2. Intelligent rush: The goal of this tactic is to attack the enemy's base again, but the difference is that you won't always be running and rushing. You preferably use a Assault rifle (SG552, M4A1, AK-47, XM8, K2...) or a sniper rifle IF you know that some guys will cover you. You always stay at a place covered by a wall, a box, or any other structure. You move forward cleverly, on the look-out for any noises or movement from your opponent. You might want to crouch, burst, cover, reload, and attack again.

Pros: - You can retreat quickly if you are outnumbered or low HP since you don't rush the opponent.
- You can take your time to aim and decide your target.

Cons: - Grenades will come at you easily.
- Any skilled sniper can get you down easily.
- Momentum*. (This will be explained later)

Tips: It is important for you to have a sidearm. Again, look-out for campers behind doors, walls... You must not be alone, you must be with at least 2 other team mates.

3. Short range defense: This type of defense is sly and very effective. You can take any weapon you feel comfortable with (except sniper rifles). You get near the wall or any other structure and you wait until the footsteps of an enemy clearly show that he is near. Then you pop-out (you can even prefire at chest level) and eliminate the enemy quickly.

Pros: - It surprises the enemy and doesn't let him much time to react.
- Very effective, even against skilled players

Cons: - You can step onto a momentum* grenade.

Tips: Try to hear the enemy coming and visualize is location. Aim for the head since you will be at short range. Don't play the hero; You killed one, oh, two of them. Great! *High five*. But don't think that you just became a super hero with amazing "made in Brasil" hacks. You should rather take cover, reload, ask for assistance THEN continue your way through the enemy's base.

4. Long range defense: This type of defense is less effective, but less risky for you. You have to be patient and equipped with a good assault rifle/sniper rifle (no shooty, SMG, MG), sidearm and grenade. Your main goal is to take out the enemies that will use the "offensive rush" or the "intelligent rush", but at long range.

Pros: - You are aware of everything that happens in the round from a less risky position.
- You can use momentum* grenades.

Cons: - You might get sniped since you don't move a lot.
- You might not have a lot of kills if your team do well with the other tactics.

Tips: This tactic is mainly for those who are skilled, literally. Long range distance tactic requires you to master the weapon you chose and to control the game. -Control the game you said? Yep. Because it is you that will slow down the invaders if your short range defender are dead. This might let the time to your attackers to catch up the enemy you are slowing. Remember, this tactic requires you to be patient and aware of everything that happens in the game. It is preferable to be at least 2 in this tactic, alone you won't last for long.

5. Camping: This last type of tactic is risky, but can be really effective against less skilled players. It is similar to the short range defense tactic, but the main difference is; campers never leave their position. Never. Basically, you can take any weapon, except sniper rifles and shooty. You hide from a position, being crouched, and you wait for your enemy to pass in front of you. Straight away when you see him, you shoot him.

Pros: - Effective against less skilled players

Cons: - You can't do this tactic more than 2 times in a row; opponents will counter your tactic.
- Any skilled player can shoot you down in less than 0,5 second.

Tips: If you see an enemy AND you realize that he didn't see you at all, wait until the 2nd guy to open fire. Aim for the head, always. Once you killed the guy(s), you can decide to retreat or to rush them; once you open your fire, you should not stay at your camping place, since the enemy now know where you are.

Momentum*

The momentum is the fact that you know that, for example, 10 seconds after the beginning of the game, the enemies should be near this location. And it depends of their tactics: You know that the AWM sniper must run to get its sniper rifle, you know that offensive rushers will come faster than the intelligent rusher, you know when will be the best moment to throw your grenade etc... The momentum come with experience; you must play a lot to learn and remember every momentums.

Global tips

- Try to use the tactic that will make your team a successful team. I mean, you don't have to rush like 75% of your team or to defend like 75% of your team in another situation. But don't be the black sheep tho; if you are alone, you will die quickly.
- Don't use a weapon that you suck with, except if you want to practice and get better. Otherwise, you can not let the chance for a pro AWMer to use his skills, for example.
- Learn to shoot through the map, near the trains. Also, learn to not stand still at this location; you gonna get sniped easily.
- Don't hesitate to take out your sidearm rather than reload your assault rifle (that saved my life very often)

Conclusion

That's it. I might edit this guide when I'll get new things to mention. I hope this can be useful. Sorry for the bad English.

Jamatrix.

Comments

• Cool guide. I'm sure many will find it useful. :)
  • nice tips, it will help many but im pretty sure im a pro in alaska by now :P i always rush left side and stand behind the last corner u see and usually get like a multi kill (easy hs) a-bom5000 and i pro at this xD
  • Wow pretty good job with the guide ^^. Keep up the good work, and don't worry about your english , it's ok , many people fails it. as i do -.-. xD
  • This guide looks like a DotA match :D
    Nice guide though.
  • I really don't like the order you get your weapons....
    You can get a grenade and then get a secondary right after as the grenades are right in front of the secondary weapons.
    What you're saying is that you'd jump over the grenades, grab a pistol, then go back to the grenades.
    Also, the Deagle should ONLY be taken by the PSG-er/Sniper, as they need it way more than sprayers. *reasons are obvious*

Overall very great guide, should help many new players.
  • Nice guide, it will help many "newbies" who come to the forum.
    My Stamp of Approval:
    34gjywm.jpg
  • I really don't like the order you get your weapons....
    You can get a grenade and then get a secondary right after as the grenades are right in front of the secondary weapons.
    What you're saying is that you'd jump over the grenades, grab a pistol, then go back to the grenades.

I see your point. But sometimes you know, the player wants to get SG552, Steyr Aug, AWM or XM8 for example. Those weapons take much time to get than the others, moreover you don't pass really near the sidearms and the grenades to get them. So you better go and get your main weapon first, to be sure that nobody will take it before you.
  • Your tips are good but Alaska is more about how much people are camping, attacking and so forth. I don't know how much this will help being as this map is all about braking into team's. But I still give you a hand.

+1...
  • that little rush tactic u talked about i do that but grab and awm and play peek-a-boo with it and most of the time it works. when i'm about to get rushed i throw it down and grab a rifle but its awesome :P
  • Kilanomane wrote: »
    Hi Forumers! My IGN is Jamatrix, from the clan nleashed. The goal of this guide mainly aims to increase your KDR in Alaska map, so you can win more often by the same time.

Introduction

The shape of this map is square and the map is 99% symmetrical (1% come from the emplacement of weapons and some structures). You can either defend your base or attack the opponent's base; you do whatever you want, it depends on how you feel or what you are the best at.

It is important for you to know the exact location of EVERY single weapon in the map. This will save your life more than once, trust me.

Basic informations

It is important to get your best/favorite weapon the fastest possible, then a sidearm, then a grenade if there is one left. Remember the order: Main weapon, then sidearm, then grenade. Because you don't want to rush to be sure to get a nade then risk to get a bad weapon because all the others are taken.

The main weapon you choose will decide the type of player you will be; Don't rush the opponent's base with a AWM and don't defend your base at long distance with a MP5, for example. I want to mention this too: If you know that player X is a beast with AWM (for example) and he is getting a lot of kill with it, don't steal it just to embarrass him or show you can do same; you risk to lose the game.

Tactics

There is (mainly) 5 tactics in this map. I define them, then give the pros and cons and some tips.

1. Offensive rush: This play style can be defined as: You always run and try to kill the enemy as soon as you see him. You try to hide/escape backward only to reload or when your HP are critical. SMG's and any high rate of fire weapon are preferable. You might not have the time to take a sidearm or a grenade. You rarely crouch but you jump a lot to make yourself a more difficult target.

Pros: - It surprises your enemy (at least if it's not the 514th billion time you do it...)
    - It put a certain pressure on the enemy team, so they concentrate their efforts on you, the offensive rusher, so they forget a bit to defend the other side of the map.

Cons: - You will die quickly if you are outnumbered.
    - You might get killed by campers (behind doors, walls, columns, boxes...)

Tips: Try to jump at every corner you turn. Try to hear if they are coming at you. Always do a quick-look at a camper place, even if you are following an escaping enemy (this saved my life very often). Don't hesitate to go back and change your tactic if you see that they are waiting for you or you are outnumbered. You can do a kamikaze assault by going left right after the beginning, taking Steyr Aug (BL) or Sg552 (GR) and rushing them. Don't do it too often.

2. Intelligent rush: The goal of this tactic is to attack the enemy's base again, but the difference is that you won't always be running and rushing. You preferably use a Assault rifle (SG552, M4A1, AK-47, XM8, K2...) or a sniper rifle IF you know that some guys will cover you. You always stay at a place covered by a wall, a box, or any other structure. You move forward cleverly, on the look-out for any noises or movement from your opponent. You might want to crouch, burst, cover, reload, and attack again.

Pros: - You can retreat quickly if you are outnumbered or low HP since you don't rush the opponent.
    - You can take your time to aim and decide your target.

Cons: - Grenades will come at you easily.
    - Any skilled sniper can get you down easily.
    - Momentum*. (This will be explained later)

Tips: It is important for you to have a sidearm. Again, look-out for campers behind doors, walls... You must not be alone, you must be with at least 2 other team mates.

3. Short range defense: This type of defense is sly and very effective. You can take any weapon you feel comfortable with (except sniper rifles). You get near the wall or any other structure and you wait until the footsteps of an enemy clearly show that he is near. Then you pop-out (you can even prefire at chest level) and eliminate the enemy quickly.

Pros: - It surprises the enemy and doesn't let him much time to react.
    - Very effective, even against skilled players

Cons: - You can step onto a momentum* grenade.

Tips: Try to hear the enemy coming and visualize is location. Aim for the head since you will be at short range. Don't play the hero; You killed one, oh, two of them. Great! *High five*. But don't think that you just became a super hero with amazing "made in Brasil" hacks. You should rather take cover, reload, ask for assistance THEN continue your way through the enemy's base.

4. Long range defense: This type of defense is less effective, but less risky for you. You have to be patient and equipped with a good assault rifle/sniper rifle (no shooty, SMG, MG), sidearm and grenade. Your main goal is to take out the enemies that will use the "offensive rush" or the "intelligent rush", but at long range.

Pros: - You are aware of everything that happens in the round from a less risky position.
    - You can use momentum* grenades.

Cons: - You might get sniped since you don't move a lot.
    - You might not have a lot of kills if your team do well with the other tactics.

Tips: This tactic is mainly for those who are skilled, literally. Long range distance tactic requires you to master the weapon you chose and to control the game. -Control the game you said? Yep. Because it is you that will slow down the invaders if your short range defender are dead. This might let the time to your attackers to catch up the enemy you are slowing. Remember, this tactic requires you to be patient and aware of everything that happens in the game. It is preferable to be at least 2 in this tactic, alone you won't last for long.

5. Camping: This last type of tactic is risky, but can be really effective against less skilled players. It is similar to the short range defense tactic, but the main difference is; campers never leave their position. Never. Basically, you can take any weapon, except sniper rifles and shooty. You hide from a position, being crouched, and you wait for your enemy to pass in front of you. Straight away when you see him, you shoot him.

Pros: - Effective against less skilled players

Cons: - You can't do this tactic more than 2 times in a row; opponents will counter your tactic.
    - Any skilled player can shoot you down in less than 0,5 second.

Tips: If you see an enemy AND you realize that he didn't see you at all, wait until the 2nd guy to open fire. Aim for the head, always. Once you killed the guy(s), you can decide to retreat or to rush them; once you open your fire, you should not stay at your camping place, since the enemy now know where you are.

Momentum*

The momentum is the fact that you know that, for example, 10 seconds after the beginning of the game, the enemies should be near this location. And it depends of their tactics: You know that the AWM sniper must run to get its sniper rifle, you know that offensive rushers will come faster than the intelligent rusher, you know when will be the best moment to throw your grenade etc... The momentum come with experience; you must play a lot to learn and remember every momentums.

Global tips

- Try to use the tactic that will make your team a successful team. I mean, you don't have to rush like 75% of your team or to defend like 75% of your team in another situation. But don't be the black sheep tho; if you are alone, you will die quickly.
    - Don't use a weapon that you suck with, except if you want to practice and get better. Otherwise, you can not let the chance for a pro AWMer to use his skills, for example.
    - Learn to shoot through the map, near the trains. Also, learn to not stand still at this location; you gonna get sniped easily.
    - Don't hesitate to take out your sidearm rather than reload your assault rifle (that saved my life very often)

Conclusion

That's it. I might edit this guide when I'll get new things to mention. I hope this can be useful. Sorry for the bad English.

Jamatrix.

nice guide
  • please change the yellow, kinda hurting my eyes. well anyways great guide!
  • lol you said LOOK out for any noises. intresting thread tho ill finish it when im not the sleepys
  • It was an okay thread. Not the bet, not the worst. I possibly found a few errors, but I won't share. I use the camping and the "offensive rush" tactic. I don't know what it is, but I'm real good at camping on some maps. On Alaska and Eagle Eyes it's really easy.
  • Kilanomane wrote: »
    "made in Brasil" hacks.

The brazillians who USE hacks are too stupid to make one! all the hacks are made by AMERICANS, brazillian ppl (most of them, not all) use it cuz they sux!

Nice guide btw!
  • Great guide! Another tip: Look under train for "enemy feet".
  • Good Guide

Over all this was a great guide. I love how you added the pros and cons to each tactic. However I do think some of the terms used where misleading or labeled incorrectly but overall there is more then enough information to get any new user started.

Some of the points I found where.

- Momentum isn't a very affective definition as momentum deals with velocity and mass but not time and what you are describing is the amount of time it takes for your enemy to get from their spawn base to position X. So it's better described as the timed momentum ( as it takes into affect the speed of your opponent over time )

- Offensive rush should be called just rushing or charging as the goal is to engage your enemy before they are prepared but it does work both offensively and defensively.

- Intelligent rush sounds more like tactical advancing as you're not really rushing but moving forward only when it's safe to do so.

- Short range defense is more of an ambush tactic and works effectively both offensively and defensively.

Overall though +1 and hats off to you for the good work. I look forward to meeting you in the snow again. :)
  • Thumps wrote: »
    However I do think some of the terms used where misleading or labeled incorrectly but overall there is more then enough information to get any new user started.

That is might due to the fact that I do not master the English language perfectly.
    Thumps wrote: »
    - Momentum isn't a very affective definition as momentum deals with velocity and mass but not time and what you are describing is the amount of time it takes for your enemy to get from their spawn base to position X. So it's better described as the timed momentum ( as it takes into affect the speed of your opponent over time )

Thanks for the information :)

Thumps wrote: »
    Overall though +1 and hats off to you for the good work. I look forward to meeting you in the snow again. :)

Thanks for your nice and constructive comment.
  • nice guide i think it all depends on your team though everyone plays differently
  • hehe im the last poster for this post...yay me :) beat that lol :D
    very good stuff, i use to play this map alot but not anymore
  • Offensive rush: m60 or AK-47
    Intelligent rush: AK-47
    Short range defense: AK-47
    Long range defense:Ak-74 or XM8 or Sniper
    Camping: dont do this its lame.
  • Anons17 wrote: »
    Offensive rush: m60 or AK-47
    Intelligent rush: AK-47
    Short range defense: AK-47
    Long range defense:Ak-74 or XM8 or Sniper