Reworking the in game Censor

Hey all, Merry ???mas, Oh, sorry, Chris.tmas, The censor got in the way.
Have any of you ran into a problem similar to this? If you've ever tried to talk in game of course you have!
So here I am with a proposal. We rework, or remove, the in-game censor system since well, it happens to get in the way alot more than it helps.
Talking to people in chat on this game is alot harder than it should be, having to dance around certain combinations of letters because they trip the system and turn chunks of your harmless, non profane message into a whole lotta ???'s.
Obviously you can't just outright yank the censor out of the game, Think of the Children! So another thing I suggest on top of fixing said censor is offering an option to personally disable the censor for yourself, so you can read all those naughty words while the kiddies stay safe and protected behind their ???'s.

Anyways, I'm done taking up time on your Christmas eve, or day for those of you across the pond
Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy Holiday!

Comments

• I agree, it's really annoying. It should be removed or just fixed in some way
  • I do agree it'd be nice to see a massive rework so that, at the very least, the filter doesn't filter out words that aren't even problem words or phrases just because they contain the letter sequence of filtered words in them.

at the same time it'd be nice if they could filter out the commonly used curses/insults from other languages in our chats if there's going to be a filter. Kinda a double standard if they can spew insults with no worry of the filter system as it's silly/not worth anyones time to really report them for it and yet it's annoying seeing it ALL THE TIME.

I'd also be down for the option to disable it because not all of us are young kids. we deal with it all the time. I understand it's there because this game is technically like 13+ and freely available thus to keep it from various authorities from coming down on it...there has to be a filter. but still...think the option to disable would/could be viable.

so long story short .....+1

EDIT: turns out the forum filter, filters out the word 'short' if you put a period . at the end of it. LOL
  • Yea, sometimes I got someone PM me, and I wasn't be able to reply back. It was showing that ??? unable to reply :(). Hopefully, they will change the ??? to something else.
  • x[s]toner wrote: »

I suggest on top of fixing said censor is offering an option to personally disable the censor for yourself, so you can read all those naughty words while the kiddies stay safe and protected behind their ???'s.

+1
    i saw this in other game and i liked it so why not add it in CF too
  • Unfortunately this is not how the game itself works. It cannot offer the option to enable/disable manually for each user. A rework for the words list is possible, however due to the way the game works it will still filter based on specific words, not based on combination of letters, etc.,

We will review the current list of censored words on both game and forum and update them, hopefully by February.
  • [GM]Grumpy wrote: »
    Unfortunately this is not how the game itself works. It cannot offer the option to enable/disable manually for each user. A rework for the words list is possible, however due to the way the game works it will still filter based on specific words, not based on combination of letters, etc.,

We will review the current list of censored words on both game and forum and update them, hopefully by February.

In a longer time to implement way.....couldn't the devs alter the way the game handles the chat filter? Or is the game engine just too old/fragile to handle such changes?