Maps with Hazard Zones + New Mutation

Hazard Zones in maps!

So the main idea here is simple....we need more maps and particularly some that have various areas that are hazardous.

In many games, particularly arena style FPS games, there are things like Lava or radioactive waste which must be avoided unless you want to die instantly or take some damage while in it. I'd love to see some of that in future maps! Would be particularly good for TDMs, FFAs, and Mutations* I think. However, other mode maps could have interesting effects.

Potential hazards could be:
-Lava pits/streams
-Nuclear waste puddles
-Lasers of doom (we already have them in King Mode!)
-Toxic Gas clouds from vent areas
-other?

*This idea brings a WHOLE bigger idea into line as well...
Yet another mutation mode style. While i'm personally not a huge fan of Mutation games I think this idea could be interesting...

Mutant Hazard Mode

So the idea is simple here....it's like any other mutation mode in that at the start of each round 1-3 players are randomly selected to be the mutants. (maybe have a big baddie like in HMX) but the difference here is that like how in Hero Mode you have to kill by HS and in HMX melee.....here the only way to permanently kill a mutant is to push them into a particular Hazard area on the maps and have them take the damage to die there. This would of course be done through careful parkour or more likely....shooting them into the hazard zones with push back. Obviously the knock back effect can't be SUPER heavy here otherwise it becomes a bit easy... but it does need to exist.

I can see these maps taking place in a volcanic region, radioactive spillage, or even within a mutation lab itself where a highly toxic substance was developed to help...control...any potential outbreaks.

Needless to say if a soldier goes into the hazard zone they too will die. It might be best for gameplay reasons to allow them to come back as a mutant until they run into the hazard zone as a mutant as well. Though it would be logical for them to be permanently dead from the hazard zone death as a soldier as well.

EDIT: For more awesomesauce

Use in Zombie Modes!
In a way we already have a few hazard zones in some of ZM maps. However....these are hazard zones for the players...what about having a map in which you have to use Hazard zones to kill the boss and/or mini-bosses? Say luring bosses through Laser beam traps. Or knocking them back with a special item into a pit trap type thing. Or luring them into a zone and then shooting chains off of a hanging ceiling and having it crush them....ideas...ideas...

EM FFA(Last Person Standing?)/Event mode idea:
It could be set up as a sub-mode for specific hazard maps. In which you're given a special weapon...say like the assassin's grenade or perhaps an 'air gun' in which it doesn't HURT your enemy but allows you to effect their movement and potentially cause them to go into a hazard zone.
With the Last Person Standing (EM FFA) the objective could be simply to survive...the game would count who survives the most and rewards them with Ace of a round and MVP would be, if possible to track, who causes the most people to die. (maybe it could track it by seeing who 'hit' the person last before they died?). This would obviously be a round based mode.

Other Event Mode idea, which is completely for fun and not to be taken seriously (as a mode...not as a suggestion take the suggestion seriously dang it!) would be to make it like Sheep/Coin mode in which you have to gather various things which then allow you to accrue points but when you die you lose said items. Then make the map have various hazards and give players a weapon or weapons (perhaps can be picked up?) which can be used to influence the movement of other players. Weapon/Item ideas for this mode could consist of the following:
-Large Fan: blows enemies within a certain distance and in line of sight away from the player
-Magnet: this would have 2 settings which could be influenced by right clicking...Setting 1)Pulls players toward you. perhaps effecting a circular area around the player holding magnet. Setting 2) Pulls you towards directed target
-Assassin Grenade: Works just like the Assassin mutant character's grenade in which it is thrown and then explodes pushing anyone near it away from it.
-Other?

These could be picked up as 'power-ups' on the map similar to how the Sheep are picked up in Sheep mode. However, only one could be used at a time (perhaps making them able to be cycled through as a primary/secondary/ and melee type?)

Obviously in this version, the person who gets the most points from surviving and holding onto the special items which give points would be the 'winner'.

Comments

• Luring mutants into traps sounds like great fun +1
  • having a new hazardous mutation mode will be fun so +1 with that.
    On the other hand toxic and hazardous areas in other modes like FFA, tdm and s&d will be....confusing IMO ,lets take FFA as an example, it is already a hardcore mode all players are killing each other and you can hardly dodge the rain of bullets being fired at you with big wide open eyes staring and focusing on the screen, it is already confusing it doesn't need more deadly areas to be killed in or losing a kill if the player you are killing fell into it . hope you got my point.
  • Well, depending on how the Maps are built, I can imagine a lot of Jokers blocking the way right next to a hazard which needs to jumped over, for example.

Arena Shooters tend to have a lot more freedom of movement which prevents such a thing from happening, how would you go about fixing such a thing here?
  • having a new hazardous mutation mode will be fun so +1 with that.
    On the other hand toxic and hazardous areas in other modes like FFA, tdm and s&d will be....confusing IMO ,lets take FFA as an example, it is already a hardcore mode all players are killing each other and you can hardly dodge the rain of bullets being fired at you with big wide open eyes staring and focusing on the screen, it is already confusing it doesn't need more deadly areas to be killed in or losing a kill if the player you are killing fell into it . hope you got my point.

Well it's not like there'd be Hazard areas ALL over the map. Just a few key points used in the map design. And once players learn the maps it'd become less chaos. That and the fact that's what make some Arena FPS game maps so much fun is the chaos and fast paced action that these things cause.

Perhaps the system could be made so that the Assist system is working and you can still get an assist even if a player dies to the hazard zone.
    Preset wrote:
    Well, depending on how the Maps are built, I can imagine a lot of Jokers blocking the way right next to a hazard which needs to jumped over, for example.

Arena Shooters tend to have a lot more freedom of movement which prevents such a thing from happening, how would you go about fixing such a thing here?

movement issue wouldn't be too much of an issue here. The biggest thing with Arena shooters is the movement speed is faster than anything. But as long as the map designs aren't made so that you HAVE to cross the hazard zones constantly, or at least not the instant kill ones, then I think it'll work fine here. So the key would be decent map design geared towards the mode the hazard map is being made for. IE in TDM the teams could be split by a Lava flow river that has natural land crossings and or a bridge going over it. i could provide more examples as well but meh. I know the map designers for CF aren't the most....gifted...but this WOULD give them more to work with I think. It'd also go GREAT if they ever released some kind of program/set up to allow players to make fan made maps which could then get reviewed and potentially implemented.

also i'll be adding more ideas into the OP on uses of this....=D
  • It would be a nice addition to a mutation mode map and maybe for a FFA/TD map for the lover.
    For me personally I wouldn't like it, but there's definetly no harm in adding it to new released maps imo so why not?