An Old Idea Reposted

I had posted this many many years ago but can no longer find the original post, and was wondering how difficult it would be to re-task the NA 5 and UK 5 servers, which are pretty much empty all the time, to allow only Captain + ranks to enter it.
The obvious reason for this request would be to have a refuge from a high percentage of hackers who are usually below that rank.
I personally don't think this would be too difficult to accomplish, and would potentially even reduce the amount of hacking reports submitted daily.
Just an old idea but perhaps one worth looking into?

Comments

• They've done such a thing before (Don't know what rank it was, I think it was restricted to SFC and up?), and told the players that if they truly did want such a Server, they'd play on it even without the 5% EXP Incentive.

Said Server was pretty much empty the entire time, and they removed the restriction again. It failed spectacularly. While I would want such a Server, if it's Empty constantly, it might as well not be there.
    one_9 wrote: »
    They gave it to us, first with a SFC requirement as a test to see if it was profitable for them to really implement it (cause really it's restricting potential players on a paid server blah blah blah). It was first on UK5.
    Then we cried out for it to be NA, so they also made Foxtrot a SFC+.
    By the ZM patch, it was deemed uncessasary to be a viable option to have high-ranked servers.

We as a community blew it. And yes there were announcements regarding this, and there was a lot of discussion too. The sad thing is that not EVERY player is also a forumer, so we really can't get information out to them NOR receive feedback.

We blew the chance, so most likely it will take a LONG while to get that kind of generosity back.

A little Quote from back then.
  • I don't think we should have a whole dedicated server.

In saying that, I do think they should try implement two new method as testing phase.

Rank limit on one specific channel rather than server if possible as a test then they can implement another channel on other servers rather than have whole server dedicated. As most of us keep jumping servers so having one channel on each server with Restrictions at least allows those servers to be accessed by all and never empty. Example UK 1 Chan 10, NA 1 Chan 10 etc
    • Rank Restriction as Host Option in rooms as well as Ping Restrictions again as a test phase. This allow the Host to set there own Restrictions from pre-defined options
  • M1600wner wrote: »
    They've done such a thing before (Don't know what rank it was, I think it was restricted to SFC and up?), and told the players that if they truly did want such a Server, they'd play on it even without the 5% EXP Incentive.
    Said Server was pretty much empty the entire time, and they removed the restriction again. It failed spectacularly. While I would want such a Server, if it's Empty constantly, it might as well not be there.

NA 5 and UK 5 are always empty now, even without restrictions. There really wouldn't be much tweaking involved to enable restrictions. If they also enabled a 5% bonus like UK 4, then I'm fairly certain it would fill up.

I don't think we should have a whole dedicated server.
    In saying that, I do think they should try implement two new method as testing phase.
      Rank limit on one specific channel rather than server if possible as a test then they can implement another channel on other servers rather than have whole server dedicated. As most of us keep jumping servers so having one channel on each server with Restrictions at least allows those servers to be accessed by all and never empty. Example UK 1 Chan 10, NA 1 Chan 10 etc
    • Rank Restriction as Host Option in rooms as well as Ping Restrictions again as a test phase. This allow the Host to set there own Restrictions from pre-defined options

I like the Host Option idea. I was just thinking on a larger scale but that too would be acceptable. I generally jump rooms, but stay on one server most of the time.
  • I don't know... I have seen many Captain+ hacking before and I can't see this do much of an improvement but rather split up the community even more, we already have UK1 and UK4 filled up and I like it like that since it's either one or the another but I don't know how well another server would do and from what I am seeing they already tried this and it didn't work and I could see why since if UK1 and UK4 are fulled and UK2 + 3 + 5 is barely in used by doing this server restriction for UK5 I could only see it either being dead in a few days or it killing UK4 population which would just make more sense to do the whole Captain+ thing on UK4.

I wouldn't want to see Host having this power cause this would probably split up the community even more it's not like every low rank person is an hacker ( but I will admit it's mostly them that do the hacking ) and this would just make it harder for people to play with each other and espically people probably won't want to join a match without the Host putting on that option.

I think just getting rid of the hacks is the best way still. UK4 is no different from UK1 in hacking it's just UK4 is mostly filled with wallers while UK1 is filled with idiots that can't hide their hacks and use everything at once until their game crashes.
  • I don't know... I have seen many Captain+ hacking before and I can't see this do much of an improvement but rather split up the community even more, we already have UK1 and UK4 filled up and I like it like that since it's either one or the another but I don't know how well another server would do and from what I am seeing they already tried this and it didn't work and I could see why since if UK1 and UK4 are fulled and UK2 + 3 + 5 is barely in used by doing this server restriction for UK5 I could only see it either being dead in a few days or it killing UK4 population which would just make more sense to do the whole Captain+ thing on UK4.

I wouldn't want to see Host having this power cause this would probably split up the community even more it's not like every low rank person is an hacker ( but I will admit it's mostly them that do the hacking ) and this would just make it harder for people to play with each other and espically people probably won't want to join a match without the Host putting on that option.

I think just getting rid of the hacks is the best way still. UK4 is no different from UK1 in hacking it's just UK4 is mostly filled with wallers while UK1 is filled with idiots that can't hide their hacks and use everything at once until their game crashes.

Getting rid of the hacks is of course the best option, but after over 8 years of hacks, I can say for sure that it will never happen.
    The percentage of Captains + using hacks is far far lower than lower ranks, but of course there are some that do use hacks even at those higher ranks.
    My idea was based on that lower percentage, with the bonus being that since there are less people with those higher ranks, you would eventually be able to weed out those that do use hacks at that rank.
    Like I said, it's just an idea, and like all ideas there are people who see things differently.
    I'm just tired of Sergeants or Lieutenants joining a room and head-shooting the entire opposing team. Thankfully it doesn't happen often, but I have close to 600 desertions that are directly caused by this.
  • This can be done easily, just like the NA4 and UK4 servers. Also there were no VIPs back in 2011, hence not many high ranking players. Now there are thousands of marshals, so there must be a good number of captain+ ranks. Also high rank hackers are less compared to low ranking ones. And I usually do not report low ranking ones cuz they just make new accounts again and start hacking back. Whereas I would gladly report colonel+ hackers. But it should be restricted to colonel+ ranks only.

Another workaround would be to make one server a VIP only, so only those players who have VIP weapons can play there.

+1
  • Belicose wrote: »
    Getting rid of the hacks is of course the best option, but after over 8 years of hacks, I can say for sure that it will never happen.
    The percentage of Captains + using hacks is far far lower than lower ranks, but of course there are some that do use hacks even at those higher ranks.
    My idea was based on that lower percentage, with the bonus being that since there are less people with those higher ranks, you would eventually be able to weed out those that do use hacks at that rank.
    Like I said, it's just an idea, and like all ideas there are people who see things differently.
    I'm just tired of Sergeants or Lieutenants joining a room and head-shooting the entire opposing team. Thankfully it doesn't happen often, but I have close to 600 desertions that are directly caused by this.

Every game is going to have their hacking espcially on the PC it's just how well you can do lowering the amount of hackers and they have done a pretty good job at it from 2012 to 2017. I think I suggested the exact idea with the same exact reasons I just feel like this just won't work out and with what I heard of them trying it before and it didn't work out I just feel like the way it is now is the best way it can be.

I was thinking though MAYBE if they made UK4 not allow anyone with an hacking ban on their account so if you begin to hack on UK1 at an early stage and get banned then you are not going to be able to enter UK4 but this could make UK1 more invested with hackers but it's worth a shot if anything people who have an hacking ban on their account can appeal for it and maybe have a chance to play on UK4 but if they hack again after the appeal than they can not be able to appeal again for it. New account that bother to level up to play on UK4 will get banned and never be able to play on it again if they hack which would probably help out since I can't see this creating any issues unless you're a hacker of course.

edit: Oh and I forgot to say ( and idk where I was going to place it now ) just make UK4 Captain+ it's probably not as hard with all the VIP's.
  • M1600wner wrote: »
    They've done such a thing before (Don't know what rank it was, I think it was restricted to SFC and up?), and told the players that if they truly did want such a Server, they'd play on it even without the 5% EXP Incentive.

The problem with a rank restricted server isn't that people don't want it, its that no one wants to go into an empty server first. People would much rather stay in NA 1 and just complain than move their butts to a less populated one.
  • Pooyan wrote: »
    This can be done easily, just like the NA4 and UK4 servers. Also there were no VIPs back in 2011, hence not many high ranking players. Now there are thousands of marshals, so there must be a good number of captain+ ranks. Also high rank hackers are less compared to low ranking ones. And I usually do not report low ranking ones cuz they just make new accounts again and start hacking back. Whereas I would gladly report colonel+ hackers. But it should be restricted to colonel+ ranks only.

Another workaround would be to make one server a VIP only, so only those players who have VIP weapons can play there.

+1

More VIPs more Farm all the time so what can you do ? [Only watching them] ucant stop them if you tell to one of them [Farmer] will tell you [it's my money so not your business] so the only thing you can do play without asking about how he got his high rank

About hackers send ticket then w8 if they got ban or not it's fate and destany
    • IGN Ezio
  • i will support this if they did that in ranked match by increasing rank required to join
  • iAnarchy wrote: »
    The problem with a rank restricted server isn't that people don't want it, its that no one wants to go into an empty server first. People would much rather stay in NA 1 and just complain than move their butts to a less populated one.

On that you have a point, but if they included a 5% bonus as they do on some other servers, it could work, but then again maybe it wouldn't, who knows.
  • More VIPs more Farm all the time so what can you do ? [Only watching them] ucant stop them if you tell to one of them [Farmer] will tell you [it's my money so not your business] so the only thing you can do play without asking about how he got his high rank

About hackers send ticket then w8 if they got ban or not it's fate and destany

Do you even read bra?