Chat mutes

Is it possible to get a system where toxic/racist players can be either temporarily or permanently muted/unable to use public chat, or unable to speak in public chat in non-private rooms? (At the GMs Discretion)
I don't feel like they deserve permanent bans except in the most extreme cases, but I would love to see some kind of punishment that stops them making the community more toxic/hateful.

It would probably mean less tickets being sent for people insulting/being racist/whatever too, since they wouldn't be able to do it if they got muted.

Obviously the permanent mutes are for the more extreme/repeat offenders.

Any suggestions for improvements?

Comments

• How about the Auto system that censors our words can be coded to Auto "Mute" those players based on the words the system has already Censored.

Example. Say the word YoYo was Censored and it would show on the chat as ???? right, but because the system has picked up that word. The system would auto "Mute" that player for 5 minutes automatically, meaning he would not be able to chat in Public or Private rooms. Let's call this 5 minutes Time Out!. For simply entering a Censored Word!

This System can also do longer "Mutes" from 5 minutes to 1 hour, for those repeated offenders.
  • How about the Auto system that censors our words can be coded to Auto "Mute" those players based on the words the system has already Censored.

Example. Say the word YoYo was Censored and it would show on the chat as ???? right, but because the system has picked up that word. The system would auto "Mute" that player for 5 minutes automatically, meaning he would not be able to chat in Public or Private rooms. Let's call this 5 minutes Time Out!. For simply entering a Censored Word!

This System can also do longer "Mutes" from 5 minutes to 1 hour, for those repeated offenders.

I disagree with this because the way the current chat filter works. If you say "Suspicious" it'll filter it because of a racial slur that exists within suspicious. There's too many examples of that. And consequently it'd result in many people, who aren't meaning to say something that gets filtered but is, getting muted for long periods of time for nothing.

Though I do agree in the general idea that it'd be nice to take away toxic people's chat privileges instead of out right banning them for just words.

EDIT: Also there's ways around the chat filter....just adding in extra characters like saying ha.ck for hack and what not. So relying on the chat filter just isn't a good idea. I think if a GM gets contacted or sees it (or maybe even MODs?) then the option should be to remove chat privileges.
  • Yeah adding to what Ixith said above, there are too many accidental triggers. Maybe if they pass a certain threshold or something, maybe 10 times in a minute? Even then it could be triggered accidentally with innocent phrases like "With ax", "Ridiculous", "Put a deagle" etc.

It would be a great system if it didn't pick up words accidentally though.
  • They need to to show some love to the chat. There are words that get censored for no reason. For example, you can say "a**" but can't say "fake." I always ignore the chat, unless it's someone I know. So banning people from using the chat would be nice, I wouldn't have to read insult words from every language when I knife a mutant.
  • as someone who often plays pubs for the sole purpose of messing around and annoying people till they rq, it's a no from me =)

if you get offended by something someone you don't know says to you over an online game then that's something you need to fix about yourself

but anywayz you can turn off your regular chat or block the chat of the specific person if you think it's that serious lol
  • Is it possible to get a system where toxic/racist players can be either temporarily or permanently muted/unable to use public chat, or unable to speak in public chat in non-private rooms? (At the GMs Discretion)
    I don't feel like they deserve permanent bans except in the most extreme cases, but I would love to see some kind of punishment that stops them making the community more toxic/hateful.

It would probably mean less tickets being sent for people insulting/being racist/whatever too, since they wouldn't be able to do it if they got muted.

Obviously the permanent mutes are for the more extreme/repeat offenders.

Any suggestions for improvements?

I agree with this.
  • as someone who often plays pubs for the sole purpose of messing around and annoying people till they rq, it's a no from me =)

if you get offended by something someone you don't know says to you over an online game then that's something you need to fix about yourself

If you're having fun harassing other people, there's something wrong with you, not me.
    A toxic community makes players quit and kills the game.