BB code in signatures for every forum user?

Why can't normal forum users have a BB code in their signature?
[Annomader made this for me. It's so freaking good. He spend a lot of time making it and now i can't use/show it.
example:

loller_sig.png

It's to great to be wasted!

Comments

• Has been attempted, but failed completely. Sadly, this community could never handle open permissions such as image signatures. And the last thing the GMs and we moderators would want is a bunch of immature kids attaching pron and swear words onto their signatures.

Something happened with Youtube links earlier this year as well. They could be directly played from your signature. But no, that was abused as well, and ended up being removed as a function.

The infamous military intelligence (25 post) ribbon was something that they released back in 2011, with the goal to encourage more players to use the forums. However, the spam became so chaotic and out of hand that the ribbon was removed soon after. That is how the Army of One (100k kills) ribbon was introduced.
  • Has been attempted, but failed completely. Sadly, this community could never handle open permissions such as image signatures. And the last thing the GMs and we moderators would want is a bunch of immature kids attaching pron and swear words onto their signatures.

The infamous military intelligence (25 post) ribbon was something that they released back in 2011, with the goal to encourage more players to use the forums. However, the spam became so chaotic and out of hand that the ribbon was removed soon after. That is how the Army of One (100k kills) ribbon was introduced.

That's exactly the point of your title, Moderator. You should moderate the forums for people that abuse the system, not necessarily meaning check every forum post for a bad signature, just do exactly what you do now, browse the forums in your own time. Users will take it upon themselves to report players who misuse the signature and report back to moderators.

How can you compare the 'Military intelligence' ribbon to pictures in the signature? The military intelligence caused unwanted traffic namely because of the free ribbon, there is no ACTUAL award for using a forum signature, so why would people come to the forums in huge quantities and use inappropriate signatures?

According to your logic we should also remove images / links from being posted on the forum because of repeat people who have spammed nude / male genitalia pictures on the forums. The same way those were moderated the same way signatures can be moderated.

In my own perspective what I have come to realize is; the forum signatures are not given to regular users so that players can tell moderators apart from other members faster, it's a way to increase their visibility on the forums.
  • I understand that but they can also put offensive words/naughty pictures in there profile picture.
    Maybe a small chance to give some forumers the permission for the bb code.
    Example: after 1000 posts you are able to have a bb code in your signature. No spammer has 1000 posts. The players with 1000 posts are mostly loyal forumers and not kids. This way the beginners can clearly see who has been on the forum for a long time and who is a rookie.

I still remember when that ribbon came out. First you needed 250 posts. After a month they managed it to 25 posts. The players posted mostly spam or useless threads/posts. But it's hard to compare the two.
  • WARHAWK wrote: »
    That's exactly the point of your title, Moderator. You should moderate the forums for people that abuse the system, not necessarily meaning check every forum post for a bad signature, just do exactly what you do now, browse the forums in your own time. Users will take it upon themselves to report players who misuse the signature and report back to moderators.

How can you compare the 'Military intelligence' ribbon to pictures in the signature? The military intelligence caused unwanted traffic namely because of the free ribbon, there is no ACTUAL award for using a forum signature, so why would people come to the forums in huge quantities and use inappropriate signatures just to prove a point?

According to your logic we should also remove images / links from being posted on the forum because of repeat people who have spammed nude / male genitalia pictures on the forums. The same way those were moderated the same way signatures can be moderated.

The problem with this way of thought is that you presume that from the tenthousands of forumers here only a small amount would exploit it. There simply aren't enough moderators and GMs to keep the forums clean.
    Also, an image in your signature will be shown in all of your posts at once. This makes it much easier for 'trolls' to spam unwanted pictures.

There was the idea of making BB codes in signatures available for users with over a number of posts, but that would also have the same effect as the ribbon mentioned before.

Edit:
    loller1207 wrote: »
    I still remember when that ribbon came out. First you needed 250 posts. After a month they managed it to 25 posts. The players posted mostly spam or useless threads/posts. But it's hard to compare the two.

It may be that I remember wrong, but I think it was the other way around. They increased it to 250 because they thought that it would make spammers give up thinking it wouldn't worth the work, but they were wrong.
    Again, I may be wrong, but I think that they even increased the number to 1000 before removing the ribbon.
  • ' wrote:
    It may be that I remember wrong, but I think it was the other way around. They increased it to 250 because they thought that it would make spammers give up thinking it wouldn't worth the work, but they were wrong.
    Again, I may be wrong, but I think that they even increased the number to 1000 before removing the ribbon.

I think it was 250 after that 25. Becouse i almost got the 250 posts back in the day. When i almost had it they changed it to 25. At that time i was so mad. I spend a lot of time on the forum and it was all for nothing. I'm almost sure it was 250 and after that 25.
  • Sadly, this community could never handle open permissions such as image signatures.

Yea guys, all 25 of us wouldn't be able to handle it lol.
  • ' wrote:
    SKoRM;4131095']Yea guys, all 25 of us wouldn't be able to handle it lol.
    I can handle it, the most people of the community can handle it. To bad the minor group has to ruin it for us. This is typical, we have to pay the prize for the offenders. This is not the way. i hardly saw spam last 2 weeks or insulting threads. I don't know when it was available but the MODS should try it again and make BB cods in the signature available.
  • loller1207 wrote: »
    I can handle it, the most people of the community can handle it. To bad the minor group has to ruin it for us. This is typical, we have to pay the prize for the offenders. This is not the way. i hardly saw spam last 2 weeks or insulting threads. I don't know when it was available but the MODS should try it again and make BB cods in the signature available.

I was just being sarcastic. Fizzeq still thinks it's 2011.
  • I was the first one to notice the YouTube BB code that was added. It was added because Rex needed it for an event. I used the BBcode in a post and added it to my sig. Others noticed but abused. And when I say abused I mean the majority of people had multiple videos in their sig and it destroyed the forum.

I personally don't see a reason why we need pics in our signatures. So stop crying about it like a child.
  • It's not just "click the enable image signatures button".

It's making sure we're properly staffed for it, a user with 1000 posts suddenly have 1000 gayse posts showing up for visitors if he changes his signature, which is harder to quickly identify compared to regular spam so we're talking a proper schedule as well as ample staffing - and if we're talking scheduling then it's really not much volunteering and more like work, with proper compensation required or we'd all just leave.

It's making sure we have the proper tools, which we don't.

Theres been talk in the past about a rep system where you're manually authorized special privileges by staff and other forum members based on their judgement of you, which is a lot safer route but also not something that we have right now.