Good way to reduce Necroposting

When someone posts onto an old thread, it shows back up to the thread page and makes it look newer, thus people like me, and call me a noob for it, forget to check the date of the thread and post onto it themselves. This then causes a chain reaction of people posting on the old thread, until of course someone who payed more attention points out that you are necroposting. People can still not look at that and post on the thread anyways.

So please make it to where either a thread can expire with X amount of months, or to where after a month or so the thread won't show back up on the threads page if people keep posting to it.

Sorry for any misunderstandings.

Comments

• It's not that big of a deal, and sometimes its nice to see a really old thread get bumped ((:
  • Staff recommend using the search feature to find threads so what does one expect.
  • Chimpzz wrote: »
    Staff recommend using the search feature to find threads so what does one expect.

There are lots of posts that are old, but still relevant and useful - getting rid of these would lose a lot of information that is very useful.

And there is no way to "lock" a thread after x days of inactivity - it would have to be done manually... and, well, aint nobody got time fo' dat.

Its fairly simple really - when you post, check the date of the original post, if its over 2 weeks, its a necro, but will normally be ok, if its over a month, you'll possible get a message about it, if its over a year, then you'll most probably get an infraction.

Rules: super simple stuff.
  • There are lots of posts that are old, but still relevant and useful - getting rid of these would lose a lot of information that is very useful.

And there is no way to "lock" a thread after x days of inactivity - it would have to be done manually... and, well, aint nobody got time fo' dat.

Its fairly simple really - when you post, check the date of the original post, if its over 2 weeks, its a necro, but will normally be ok, if its over a month, you'll possible get a message about it, if its over a year, then you'll most probably get an infraction.

Rules: super simple stuff.

This forum is VB it's easy for Z8 to add a mod that automatically closes threads over x number of days.

This would prevent necro posting and would also help moderators, tell Saidin to add one :p
  • Well fist off deleting old threads is a bad idea (already mentioned).

Second, if you make it a so a thread doesn't show up after being commented on, then this would just be a breeding ground for post farmers.
  • ' wrote:
    SKoRM;3669491']Well fist off deleting old threads is a bad idea (already mentioned).

Second, if you make it a so a thread doesn't show up after being commented on, then this would just be a breeding ground for post farmers.

Yes, closed means locked.

That's a function of VB too.
    Yes, closed means locked.

That's a function of VB too.

I really don't see a lot of necropost case's anyway, would it really be worth it?
  • ' wrote:
    SKoRM;3669671']I really don't see a lot of necropost case's anyway, would it really be worth it?

Same, don't care really.

Just commenting :p
  • ' wrote:
    SKoRM;3669671']I really don't see a lot of necropost case's anyway, would it really be worth it?

Like Natt said, ain't nobody got time fo' dat.

Most of the necro-posting is done from mainly trolls who just want to cause trouble and at times it's done by newcomers.

But as regular users and particularly active ones, we know the rules and what to not do, etc. So generally, not many of us necro-post old threads at all.
    This forum is VB it's easy for Z8 to add a mod that automatically closes threads over x number of days.

This would prevent necro posting and would also help moderators, tell Saidin to add one :p

This is pretty much what I meant. I understand what all of you are saying, I just feel bad when I see a thread from January that has a couple of new posts on it and when I post a reply I get the blame.

What I was also saying is that when I thread gets a new post it goes back to the, well, lets just say suggestions page, making it look new. I accidentally necropost because of this feature. I understand how popular posts stay there for a while but when a year old thread gets one or two posts to it, it also shows up there. I was just thinking maybe instead of closing old threads you make a website modification so that when an older thread gets replies it doesn't show back up on the main page. Not necessarily close the entire thread. Just make it to where you have to search for the thread to find it unless it is still fairly popular.
  • mbuzzcut wrote: »
    This is pretty much what I meant. I understand what all of you are saying, I just feel bad when I see a thread from January that has a couple of new posts on it and when I post a reply I get the blame.

What I was also saying is that when I thread gets a new post it goes back to the, well, lets just say suggestions page, making it look new. I accidentally necropost because of this feature. I understand how popular posts stay there for a while but when a year old thread gets one or two posts to it, it also shows up there. I was just thinking maybe instead of closing old threads you make a website modification so that when an older thread gets replies it doesn't show back up on the main page. Not necessarily close the entire thread. Just make it to where you have to search for the thread to find it unless it is still fairly popular.

Not a bad idea but these post farmers would be replying to every single thread that is old and no one would notice.

Not that post count matters but it does to some and those losers deserve no easy posts :d