Merge GM and SND maps.

Well since the other thread on the topic was closed because it's to old, and I still want to discuss the topic, here it is.

"Would it really be to hard to make the maps compatible for both SND and GM?"

The mechanics are nearly identical and were proven by a bug that happened a couple years ago, that it's already very attainable. There has been some debate on how legitimate this would be though due to differences in map structure, but I'd argue that that's what would make it great.

I'd appreciate a reasonable explanation from some higher ups as to why they wouldn't do this, but other then that I think it'd be cool to simply discuss the pros and cons to making this happen.

Comments

• l_Maven_l wrote: »
    Well since the other thread on the topic was closed because it's to old, and I still want to discuss the topic, here it is.

"Would it really be to hard to make the maps compatible for both SND and GM?"

The mechanics are nearly identical and were proven by a bug that happened a couple years ago, that it's already very attainable. There has been some debate on how legitimate this would be though due to differences in map structure, but I'd argue that that's what would make it great.

I'd appreciate a reasonable explanation from some higher ups as to why they wouldn't do this, but other then that I think it'd be cool to simply discuss the pros and cons to making this happen.

I think its very possible for a few of the maps. Like Santoria or w/e it is in S&D can very easily be a GM map..
  • Since tranquility became a gm map, why not? (tranquility sucks doe)
  • I think It'd be weird just since GM maps are somwhat dark and 'creepy', yet S&D is usuallly bright and only 1 level.
  • went1NSANE wrote: »
    I think It'd be weird just since GM maps are somwhat dark and 'creepy', yet S&D is usuallly bright and only 1 level.

Just make every SnD map play like it was night.
  • Tranquility as SND..Oh hell yea. But some maps like lab would just be crazy..
    Overall -1
  • SnD and Gm maps are different.

SnD maps are generally open, bigger, have long straights (to rush down), defensible sites.

Gm maps are generally smaller, indoorsy (apart from hakenkreuz and tranquillity), have shorter and more covered passages to sites, generally open sites (so ghosts can camp almost anywhere and GR can't 'defend' a site".
  • SlayerNM wrote: »
    I think its very possible for a few of the maps. Like Santoria or w/e it is in S&D can very easily be a GM map..

There is no question about it being easily accomplished, the game for a few days had a bug where ANY of the modes were suddenly ghosts on BL. It was amazing.
    Only_Death wrote: »
    Since tranquility became a gm map, why not? (tranquility sucks doe)

Tranquility is defiantly a strong reason NOT to merge the modes. They can be very unbalanced. But they don't need to necessarily make every map merged. Maybe they could start releasing the maps to new modes slowly and pick out the ones that make more sense.
    went1NSANE wrote: »
    I think It'd be weird just since GM maps are somwhat dark and 'creepy', yet S&D is usuallly bright and only 1 level.

There is also the possibility of modifying the maps if they want to put more time into it. But I'd be satisfied with a straight conversion.

And again, I've played most of these levels as gm during the bug, it works. The ghost may be slightly harder to spot but I didn't notice.
    Isaac_H wrote: »
    Tranquility as SND..Oh hell yea. But some maps like lab would just be crazy..
    Overall -1

As far as lab goes, I personally think it would be hilarious. But you're right, it does seem a bit unbalanced in theory. (No more unbalanced than Tranquility gm though...)
    BriRon wrote: »
    SnD and Gm maps are different.

SnD maps are generally open, bigger, have long straights (to rush down), defensible sites.

Gm maps are generally smaller, indoorsy (apart from hakenkreuz and tranquillity), have shorter and more covered passages to sites, generally open sites (so ghosts can camp almost anywhere and GR can't 'defend' a site".

The bigger maps for GM would not be a problem, in fact I think they'd be better in some cases. Since the realizing of the 'bhop' and 'pinpointing'. "Camping" ghosts, are dead period, so that argument is completely invalid, the open space would actually be better for them. Well, if they know how to bhop that is..............

Alot of the GM maps going to SnD would be kind of crazy, but I think the close quarters intensity of the maps would make it fun.

Some of you may be interested in seeing what's been discussed so far. Old thread is here.
  • -1 I like to see more unique maps and not the same map for every mode...
  • abel95 wrote: »
    -1 I like to see more unique maps and not the same map for every mode...

These maps for these modes would be more unique. Don't -1 a suggestion just because you'd rather suggest something else. Actually give a reason for it to be down voted.
  • BriRon wrote: »
    (apart from hakenkreuz and tranquillity).

And nightfall.
    Anyways, +1 (I guess).
    These maps for these modes would be more unique. Don't -1 a suggestion just because you'd rather suggest something else. Actually give a reason for it to be down voted.

If you didn't read, I did gave you a reason. The reason is that I don't want to see same maps used for those 2 modes. It can get boring after a while. Sure, I don't mind seeing 2-3 same maps in those 2 modes but having most maps for both of the modes can mean that developers are running out of ideas and it isn't a good look on them.

Plus, those two modes are unique from each other. If you start having the same maps for each of the mode then it wouldn't really be unique and their wouldn't be any point in having two separate modes.

It's better to have different maps for each of those maps because it bring different environments and gameplay to each of the modes.

That is just my opinion.
  • Prison to become a GM map?

^Best idea in the game.
    Tranquility is defiantly a strong reason NOT to merge the modes. They can be very unbalanced. But they don't need to necessarily make every map merged. Maybe they could start releasing the maps to new modes slowly and pick out the ones that make more sense.

(No more unbalanced than Tranquility gm though...)

Tranquility is definitely not unbalanced. Both sides are easy if you know how to play them o.o
    BriRon wrote: »

I don't think there is much difference between the two. If you look at all the maps from both sides, the only arguable difference is the actual size of the map. I think the length of "passages" and the "open"-ness of sites are pretty consistent
  • abel95 wrote: »
    If you didn't read, I did gave you a reason. The reason is that I don't want to see same maps used for those 2 modes. It can get boring after a while. Sure, I don't mind seeing 2-3 same maps in those 2 modes but having most maps for both of the modes can mean that developers are running out of ideas and it isn't a good look on them.

Plus, those two modes are unique from each other. If you start having the same maps for each of the mode then it wouldn't really be unique and their wouldn't be any point in having two separate modes.

It's better to have different maps for each of those maps because it bring different environments and gameplay to each of the modes.

That is just my opinion.

I did read it, I read posts multiple times before replying to them. And wanting something different then whats been suggested isn't a reason to down vote this.

In what way does merging the maps make them any more 'boring' then they were before? Making an easy change to add content to other modes doesn't make then any less creative or show that they've run out of ideas. I'm the one that suggested it for crying out loud lol..

How would this make the modes any less unique? The gameplay is vastly different. No point in having separate modes? Wut?

The different environments are still there, and it doesn't take away from either mode to share them. It adds to both, and it's a simple way to give 'new' maps. As a gm player, I'd be playing maps I'd never play otherwise.

Thank you for elaborating, your opinion makes sense when you explain. Just don't drop a comment with no context next time.

Dark Beast wrote: »
    Prison to become a GM map?

^Best idea in the game.
    Well specifically I want SnD and GM merged since they are so similar. (Plant/defuse) But they could move into other modes as well, I just figured this would be easier.
    SlayerNM wrote: »
    Tranquility is definitely not unbalanced. Both sides are easy if you know how to play them o.o

I've been playing gm since the beginning of time, I know how to play them. And GR is hugely over powered on that map simply because of how difficult it is to bhop above the buildings.
  • +1 there are some GM Maps that could be interesting to see crossover into S&D play, but maps like Laboratory and Lost Relic, can't be an S&D Map it wouldn't work.
  • Laboratory SnD would be pretty fun to play, very different to the usual SnD map :D Although each game could end relatively fast with the exits from BL base. Imagine playing SnD in Bio Facility!

I know it won't ever happen because Ghost Mode is a unique mode, so it has unique/ specific maps to go with it (which will never be used in any other mode).
    I've been playing gm since the beginning of time, I know how to play them. And GR is hugely over powered on that map simply because of how difficult it is to bhop above the buildings.

Well I've been playing since '09. Not quite the beginning of time but just saying. :P

It wouldn't matter though since it is a new map (for NA I guess)..

And it can be difficult to kill campers. Good thing you get a C4 ;]
  • SlayerNM wrote: »
    Well I've been playing since '09. Not quite the beginning of time but just saying. :P

It wouldn't matter though since it is a new map (for NA I guess)..

And it can be difficult to kill campers. Good thing you get a C4 ;]
    But an entire team of pinpoint GR on a roof looking down on the plant zone, doesn't give the ghosts much a chance now does it? Pubs this isn't much a problem because of the spray, but anything remotely competitive this map is pretty pathetic.
  • +1 This would be fun reminds me of the Eagle Eye GM bug :D
  • Gm maps are made to have many lines of sight in all directions, if these were implemented as SnD maps there will be no real tactics because players can see in almost every direction.
    SnD maps are more linear and if made into Gm maps Gr team will only have to cover 3 Pathways to each area, A long, Middle, and B long. once GR notices a BL player they have to spray on a flat surface with very little are for BL to hide in.
  • BriRon wrote: »

+1 this guy has a valid point. took the wors outta my mouth
  • Beefjercky wrote: »
    Gm maps are made to have many lines of sight in all directions, if these were implemented as SnD maps there will be no real tactics because players can see in almost every direction.
    SnD maps are more linear and if made into Gm maps Gr team will only have to cover 3 Pathways to each area, A long, Middle, and B long. once GR notices a BL player they have to spray on a flat surface with very little are for BL to hide in.

That's like saying the upper hallway in the back of lab is broken... They're called 'choke points'. I don't see it being any more of a problem on SnD type maps. GR has always had the ground control when played right, BL is about mindgames and protecting the bomb.
  • I think this would be quite nice :)

Like Festival map in GM :o
  • i think there is a few maps of snd that could be good gm maps, and that would be : ceyhan, sub-base, compound and santoria
  • Night time SnD maps & day time GM maps? Hellll yeah. +1

That'd be cool to see SnD for Complex :D
  • Maybe where BL is GR and GR is BL , just to play with the BL chars at GR too xDD (GM)
  • What would it take to turn this into a poll? Just curious to really see how many would support this idea.