Windows 7; Lower your ping ingame

So i have been playing Crossfire since 2009, recently my mom bought a new laptop with windows 7. I installed Crossfire for her and noticed that she had an 150ish ping, so i did some searching on google and found a fix for it. This did work for my moms laptop, it lowered her ping down to 58 (Same ping as mine & little brother). Note: This may not work for everyone so make sure you copy what the code is before changing it.

Please follow these steps and hopefully you'll be back to your old ping after about 5-10 minutes.

1) Press the start button at the bottom left of your screen.

2) In the programs and files search bar, type regedit (You should see what appears to be a cube breaking apart as its icon, but the name should be beside it aswell.) Then open regedit. *I believe you will need administrator's permission to open this.

3) After you open regedit, you should have a rather large list of files and folders in a scroll window on the left of regedit's window. Double click or open the folder HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

4) Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, open SOFTWARE.

5) Under SOFTWARE, open Microsoft.

6) Under Microsoft, open Windows NT.

7) Under Windows NT, open CurrentVersion.

8) Under CurrentVersion, open Multimedia.

9) Under Multimedia, open SystemProfile.

10) Stop at SystemProfile and open NetworkThrottlingIndex located in the larger section to the right. (On mine I had these three names here: (Default), NetworkThrottlingIndex, and Responsiveness)

11) After opening NetworkThrottlingIndex make a backup of what ever it is before messing with it then type or paste in FFFFFFFF (I'm not sure if you have to have them in caps or not but for safety's sake, please put them in capitals. There should also be 8 of them, make sure of that.) for the value, then have the dot next to hexadecimal filled in if it's not already. Click ok. These F's may appear in lower case under the data section, either way it should be fine.

12) Make sure your new data value is 0xffffffff. You also may have a string of numbers after it similar to if not (4294967295).

13) After doing this, close regedit and restart your computer. (Don't worry. The registry data saved when you hit ok after typing in the new value.)

Everything ^ was copied and pasted.
(I did a search before posting this, i did not find anything with this so i decided to post it.)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948066/en-us?fr=1

Comments

• Heard of that before. Never tried it cause my ping is 30ms as long as the servers work fine.
  • i was searching and i tryeed alooot oof thinkks dident wooork
    but i am going to try thiiis faaaast . i hope it's woork
    cuz i have 1 internet 2 computers : windows xp = 72 ping
    windows 7 = 150 ping O.o
    its the same internet with router ?

i hope this tip will woooork :/
  • didnt work for me D:
    my ping used to be 150 and now its 185, i tried this but my ping is still 185
  • i tried it and its Wooooork :D
    Thaanks Aloooot ]K[illa u Help mee i Woon Aboute 40 ping :D its CooL
    i was Searching aloooot of time for that and i tryed about 20 tips diden't work but this work i'ts amazing Niiiiice
  • Your mom is.. playing CF?

what i'm thinking too....
  • AbdouDevil wrote: »
    i tried it and its Wooooork :D Thaanks Aloooot ]K[illa
    Your welcome, same i looked every where but did not find a fix. Then i finally found this, and tryed it and it worked. Glad i could help someone else with my findings :]
    Your mom is.. playing CF?
    Yes
    TheDotKom wrote: »
    what i'm thinking too....
    Awkward i know :3, but were all gamers :D
    hadhood624 wrote: »
    didnt work for me D:
    Which country do you live in :3?
  • In nz, for some reason z8 decides to make our pings higher and lower the australians D:
  • I followed this steps, I hope it will work. I'm just waiting for the Crossfire to go back on server again because they are fixing this some kind of problem :)
  • hadhood624 wrote: »
    didnt work for me D:

Maybe you got it wrong?.. Try it maybe again..
  • ' wrote:
    K[illa;2880548']So i have been playing Crossfire since 2009, recently my mom bought a new laptop with windows 7. I installed Crossfire for her and noticed that she had an 150ish ping, so i did some searching on google and found a fix for it. This did work for my moms laptop, it lowered her ping down to 58 (Same ping as mine & little brother). Note: This may not work for everyone.

Please follow these steps and hopefully you'll be back to your old ping after about 5-10 minutes.

1) Press the start button at the bottom left of your screen.

2) In the programs and files search bar, type regedit (You should see what appears to be a cube breaking apart as its icon, but the name should be beside it aswell.) Then open regedit. *I believe you will need administrator's permission to open this.

3) After you open regedit, you should have a rather large list of files and folders in a scroll window on the left of regedit's window. Double click or open the folder HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

4) Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, open SOFTWARE.

5) Under SOFTWARE, open Microsoft.

6) Under Microsoft, open Windows NT.

7) Under Windows NT, open CurrentVersion.

8) Under CurrentVersion, open Multimedia.

9) Under Multimedia, open SystemProfile.

10) Stop at SystemProfile and open NetworkThrottlingIndex located in the larger section to the right. (On mine I had these three names here: (Default), NetworkThrottlingIndex, and Responsiveness)

11) After opening NetworkThrottlingIndex, type or paste in FFFFFFFF (I'm not sure if you have to have them in caps or not but for safety's sake, please put them in capitals. There should also be 8 of them, make sure of that.) for the value, then have the dot next to hexadecimal filled in if it's not already. Click ok. These F's may appear in lower case under the data section, either way it should be fine.

12) Make sure your new data value is 0xffffffff. You also may have a string of numbers after it similar to if not (4294967295).

13) After doing this, close regedit and restart your computer. (Don't worry. The registry data saved when you hit ok after typing in the new value.)

The place i found this should stay unknown for good reasons.

Everything ^ was copied and pasted.
    (I did a search before posting this, i did not find anything with this so i decided to post it.)

So if I had Windows XP / Vista, I would get a lower ping than right now?
  • So if I had Windows XP / Vista, I would get a lower ping than right now?

k ima explain this a little bit more :3.
    Me and my brother both have Windows XP, we both also have 58 ping in Alpha. Recently my mom purchased a Windows 7 computer, when i installed Crossfire and she started playing i noticed that she was lagging and had a 150 ping. I was like wow, because we all run off of the same Router there for there couldn't be that much of a difference. I searched for fix's on google and found this and tried it and it worked. I don't really know a lot about all the operating systems, but this seems to be a problem for a lot of users who run games with Windows 7. Windows Vista i have no clue or knowledge of, i have never really used it or had a computer that ran Vista.

For the answer of your question. a lot of the ping problem is due to how far you are from the Servers/Host, I have also noticed that running xfire/yahoo and a lot of other stuff will alter your ping. (I have had to get on Teamviewer to help a few clan mates). All i can say is ask a friend who has Windows XP and lives near you to download Crossfire and check the ping, then you would know if its the distance or cause of a different problem.
  • Which Windows 7 Edition?

Was it 64-bit? Or just normal 32?

Btw, moving this from Tech Support to Guides and renamed the title to get a better audience.
  • You could shorten the guide:
    1) Press windows + R and type in regedit.
    2) After you continued with enter you have to press ctrl + F.
    3) Type in NetworkThrottlingIndex and hit enter.
    4) If the path shown at the bottom is not equal to
    hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windowsnt\currentversion\multimedia\systemprofile
    hit F3 until it is.
    5) Right click the NetworkThrottlingIndex and choose edit.
    6) Change it to hexadezimal, fill the field with F's and hit okay.
    7) Reboot.

Btw it does nothing for me.

Edit:
    The source the author of this thread didn't want to mention:
  • I just tried this and ive noticed that my ping was the same but it would frequently jump to like 400 every 5 seconds or so, is it because i messed up or the recent crap thats been going on with the game. how can i change it back?
  • [MOD]9 wrote: »
    Which Windows 7 Edition?
    Was it 64-bit? Or just normal 32?
    Thanks, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit.
    Smagjus wrote: »
    Edit:
    The source the author of this thread didn't want to mention:
    That's not where i got it from thanks tho, The site i got this from is a hack site which popped up with the fix. There for by the rules of the forums i could not post the Link/Give Credits. Thank you for getting a better place so people could go to a link and see it.
    zenziba9 wrote: »
    I just tried this and ive noticed that my ping was the same but it would frequently jump to like 400 every 5 seconds or so, is it because i messed up or the recent crap thats been going on with the game. how can i change it back?
    By default, the value for the NetworkThrottlingIndex registry entry is set to 10. When the NetworkThrottlingIndex registry entry does not exist, the behavior resembles the default behavior. Network throttling can be completely turned off by setting the value to FFFFFFFF (hexadecimal). You must restart the computer after you make a change to the value of the NetworkThrottlingIndex registry entry.
  • so.. does that mean i can drop from 14 ping to 7-8?
  • avg tuneup > leatrix latency fix,
    u can't lower ur location ping u can make it stable ... all depends on latency
  • Does it really work? Anyways I can't use it since I can't finde some folders that are mentioned in the tutorial :(
  • Don't do it, it gave me 500 ping. (serious -_-)

Undo button, where are youuuuuuu
  • For those who don't know what network-throttling is, it is a network option that tells the computer to synch-up input and output data. The number is how many times it will try to synch the data up before skipping it. Making it FFFFFFFF or 0 tells the computer not to bother synching up the data at all.

Network-throttling is not usually useful for online games because even 1 packet of corrupted data can cause it to freeze everything and try to re-synch all the data. Packets lagging behind others can also cause a slow down because the computer wants all the packets to be processed at the same time.
    In nz, for some reason z8 decides to make our pings higher and lower the australians D:

It's not z8. It's just the way it is.
    Learn it,Live it!
    Lol
  • Well it was useful for a few people i know, glad it worked for them and i hope it works for anyone else who has the same problem, if not then reset the settings as they were before hand.
  • FYI, there's an easier way to do this without even rebooting or going into registry settings.

(This only works for Windows Vista and up)

Go to start, search for CMD, right click on it and click 'RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR'

then paste this in and hit enter:

netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled

(To paste, right click > paste)

It disables Windows autotuning/throttling, but I have seen virtually no difference in ping or download speed whatsoever (my network never spikes, always stable)

I don't think it helps whatsoever, but go ahead and try if you think it will.. my ping is exactly the same on every version of Windows.
    didnt work for me D:

I think the default was "A"
  • FG_Jon wrote: »
    FYI, there's an easier way to do this without even rebooting or going into registry settings.

(This only works for Windows Vista and up)

Go to start, search for CMD, right click on it and click 'RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR'

then paste this in and hit enter:

netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled

(To paste, right click > paste)

It disables Windows autotuning/throttling, but I have seen virtually no difference in ping or download speed whatsoever (my network never spikes, always stable)

I don't think it helps whatsoever, but go ahead and try if you think it will.. my ping is exactly the same on every version of Windows.

So I have Window 7 but i dont trust or like to mess with things that I dont know how to fix myself but that method you say you use Do i have to do it everytime I restart my laptop or no ?
  • A_Shadow wrote: »
    So I have Window 7 but i dont trust or like to mess with things that I dont know how to fix myself but that method you say you use Do i have to do it everytime I restart my laptop or no ?

Hes doing the quicker CMD method. (which is much more dangerous if one makes a mistake)
    He still changing the registry, so any change is perm unless you backup and restore later.