KissMyAce Clan's Guide to Ghost Mode for GR and BL

Credits: Adorable of KissMyAce, shunseke of KissMyAce, and the two people's guides I used for the bunny hopping section (HeroSihao and iPhoenixi)
If you have any questions, feel free to contact me by PMing me or whispering me in-game.

What I'm going to cover:
GR: in no particular order of importance
1. Listening for breath/footsteps
2. Looking for bunny hoppers
3. Shooting the ghosts
4. Pinpointing
5. Camping
6. Equipment
7. General "should be obvious" stuff

BL: again, in no particular order of importance
1. Listening/looking for GR
2. Sprayers
3. Bunny hopping
4. Timing your weapon
5. Retrieving the C4
6. Camping
7. General "should be obvious" stuff

GR 1- Listening for the ghosts
Seems more and more people start listening for breath, then I get into another room, whoop spoke too soon...
The main thing about listening for the ghosts is not panicking...I know a lotta people who immediate start 360 spin spraying after they hear a ghost. Stay calm, start shift walking and listen.
I originally had video clips for you to see the distance you can actually hear ghosts with breath and step down but my internet is being a lil <insert vulgar word here> so I'll just explain it.
Picture the Lab map. Now go to the GR base you start off at. Remember the ramp? Well from the bottom of the ramp to the top of the ramp, you can faintly hear a breath downed ghost. From that same distance, you can easily hear a ghost even though people are shooting (unless they're right by you and spraying a loud gun). Sorry to say but usually, if people are spraying, you hafta be almost right next to the ghost to hear them if they have breath down. As for footsteps, you can hear them with or without step down from the distance from the bottom to the top of the same ramp. If you still don't get it, keep checking the guide because I'll manage to upload the videos somewhere...

Anyway, that should cover just hearing them generally...pinpointing comes in a later section

GR 2- Looking for the bunny hoppers
Oddly, some people stereotype bunny hoppers as SPOP, breath/step down, shovel noobs...I hafta admit there are a lotta bunny hopper that fit the description but that's not always the case.
What everybody will tell you is to raise your brightness or gamma, whatever you prefer, to 100. What that really does is raise the brightness or the setting/landscape. I honestly don't see a difference between 80-100...100 hurts my eyes >.<
I would put a few pictures up but when you take a picture with the Print Screen button, it reverts back to default brightness...So try it out yourself and see what you prefer.

GR 3- Shooting the ghosts
There are people who tank and use armor, of course. But with the correct spray/burst/1 shotting (whatever you prefer), they get down fairly easily. THERE IS ONE EXCEPTION THOUGH, they could be "teleporting". It happens when the person lags, I've noticed 200+ ping spikers normally teleport.
Anyway, back on topic, with any gun, aiming for the head is never a bad option, even if they tank or lag or whatever, they will die after a while. I usually burst to the chest because the guns I use usually kill 'em with a few bullets in the chest. (The equipment section is later on)

GR 4- Pinpointing!
As I've mentioned earlier in section 1, pinpointing requires you to stay calm and think a little bit. If you hear a ghost, you move to the right, no difference, move to the left, no difference, there's nothing that can be above you, and there's a ledge below you. Where do you think the ghost is gonna be? Lost Relics is a good map for pinpointing because the uneven surface makes it hard to bunny hop across.
If the ghost is bunny hopping around you and you try to pinpoint it, that's a 'lil tougher because he's constantly moving. But eventually, if you can kinda get an idea of where he's headed to, you can try to either pinpoint, spray or wait for the ghost to mess up.

GR 5- Camping
I hate it, you hate it, but we both do it :P
Vent campers are probably the most annoying for each side. Especially if the C4 is in there and you're the last one.
For this section, Ima break it down into the pros and cons of camping and then let you decide if you wanna be camping or not
Pros (good side to camping)
1. you don't die very often (unless the ghosts beat you to the place you're camping)
2. you can give some cover for other people
3. you blend in with the surrounds if the ghosts don't see you
4. you may be able to guard the bomb a lot easier
Cons (bad things to camping)
1. people call you noob
2. ghosts try to kill you before you camp
3. ghosts try to team you if you're the last one
4. if you're the last one, and the C4 is set, you're screwed whether you like it or not
That's all I have right now for camping.

GR 6- Equipment
I always go into a game with at least 2 guns, 2 pistols, and 2 of each grenade. Ima narrow this down to just the types of guns, SMG, MG, rifle, sniper, pistol, and shotties...
SMGs: (sub machine guns)
Things like MP5, Kriss, P90, K1A...These are kinda like the cross between machine guns and rifles. A bit heavy, lotta ammo, and fast firing rate.
MGs: (machine guns)
Your favorite Mutation gun, M60...the M60 says it all, heavy as a refrigerator, noisy as a NASCAR race and powerful as a chainsaw (ok the chainsaw one wasn't that good...). Personally, I hate the M60, I can't hear at all, the recoil throws me off, and just WAYYYYYYYYY too heavy.
Rifles:
The big cheese...AKs, M4s, Scars, and like almost everything else :P
They're pretty light, strong and have decent (a bit too little for me) ammo. If you want a decent, all-around gun, go with a rifle.
Snipers:
There aren't many times you use a sniper in a GM match. Using Lab as an example, you snipe at A vents, you snipe in the beginning of the match, and that's all I can really snipe :P. Just know this, you're an easy target if you have a sniper. ALWAYS keep a good pistol with you.
Shotguns:
Lotsa people think shotties are the way to go in GM. But that's not always true. Sure, they'll knock any ghost who's rushing at you but what if you're reloading and there are 3 ghosts rushing you? What if the last ghost is running across the other side of the map and you're stuck?
Pistols:
Not going into this much...Just get a good pistol because one day, a ghost is gonna be charging at you, you're trying to reload your very slow reload gun and BAM YOU WHIP OUT YOUR PISTOL AND DOUBLE TAP. :P yepp~
Anyway, that's all I got for equips, it's purely opinion based. If it weren't, I'd tell you to get some ZP and get the AK knife but it isn't...so there...that's right....why are you still reading this section? o.O

GR 7- General "obvious" stuff
real quickly...
1. shoot when you see a ghost
2. don't team-nade
3. don't spray like an idiot
4. don't call people noob if your score is 0-5
5. don't join a game that's full
6. don't steal for ZP
:P yepp~

BL 1- Listening/looking for GR
Main things to listen for, shooting, walking and grenades. If the bullets are still in the wall, then they're probably really near you.
Main things to look for, GR, GR, GR. Did you get that?
This should be fairly obvious, if someone's shooting at you, it's GR

BL 2- Spraying
It's annoying, it's luck and it's annoying again
If the sprayer is using headphones, then they know you're there, so I'd move it.
If the sprayer is just spraying like a(n) <insert vulgar language here>, then try to wait for him to get near without him knowing you're there.
I try to wait until they run outta ammo and then kill them.

BL 3- Bunny hopping
I'm not good at teaching someone how to b-hop without being next to 'em and smacking 'em if they do it wrong so here's a couple guides made by other people.
http://forum.z8games.com/showthread.php?t=8506
I like the link above because the guide has little animations to show what you press :P
http://forum.z8games.com/showthread.php?t=614
Two should be enuff...if you still have problems, just PM me or IM me or whisper me in-game and I'll try to teach you....

BL 4- Timing your weapon
Obviously, knife does least damage and is easy to get the timing down. The axe does almost a 1hit kill to the chest (it may do 90 if you're unlucky) and the timing is a bit weird. The shovel does a 1hit kill to almost every part of the body and the timing just takes practice. Nothing I can really say more on...hit hard and face plant it :P

BL 5- Retrieving the C4
If you're not the last one alive, either have someone "boost" you if it's a good place to boost or have someone "meatshield" or distract the GR as you get it.
If you're the last one alive, SURVIVOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, then try to bunny hop it or distract 'em until one of 'em comes to find you and then smoosh him (LOL smoosh...funny word :P).

BL 6- Camping
Without breath down against a pinpointer is tough. They will easily find you and kill you. I don't really recommend camping unless the people who pass by you are complete <insert vulgar language here>. Always try to keep moving and kill one and move on. Don't observer the dead body like it's Megan Fox's...boy I would observe that all day long...*cough*
ANYWAY, yeah I think that's about it for camping.

BL 7- General "obvious" stuff
1. don't stand in the smoke, they see you
2. don't stand in the "light", they see you
3. don't run through nades, that's just dumb
4. don't run in front of a GR and die and call him/her a hack
5. don't lose the c4
6. don't lose the c4 in the vents
7. don't play BL hero (basically means don't rampage and try to kill 2 people after you already have 0-8)
8. don't play Twister when you're in a game
9. don't text when you're in the middle of killing someone (bad experiences :P)
10. don't go through the vents if you know some guy is waiting for you to come
11. don't eat spicy food if you can't handle it
12. don't fart in school
13. don't steal money for ZP
14. don't read this
15. don't read this

Anyway, conclusion summary of every section...
GR1. Stay calm, don't panic
GR2. Be observant and use your preferred gamma/brightness
GR3. Aim for the head and aim fast
GR4. Use your brain
GR5. Do it, or don't, your score...
GR6. Don't just use shotties because everybody thinks it's good. Use what you're good with
GR7. Yeah...just remember all of this....

BL1. If you see him, then you've seen him
BL2. Try not to let him get lucky
BL3. I like the animations
BL4. Patience is a virtue
BL5. MEATSHIELD!~
BL6. Wait for it...wait for it...BAM
BL7. don't steal....don't fart...don't read this...

Comments

• just because

i posted this on another thread- ill post it here-- but a lot of the stuff is already covered

now im not the best and dont claim to be-
    for the global risk player-- which is all i play

WATCH WHERE YOU CAMP-ghosts show up as white, so looking into a room with a light floor, light walls, and a bright ceiling--near impossible to see a ghost-- best to keep your feild of veiw on darker areas where the ghost will show up better,,, the better ghost players know this as well, so they will use it against you

SMALLER GUNS HELP-the bigger the gun you use, the less feild of view you have- again good ghost know this and will come at you on the off side, and often crouched so that you have less chance of spotting them

FORGET SNIPING- you wont see them much at long range and the scope narrows feild of view

STOP MOVING- especially on noisy floors(metal, water, etc) you cant hear them over yourself

STOP RANDOM SPRAYING- once again, you need to be able to hear you opponent

DONT RUN BETWEEN THINGS- a ghost will often camp in a bottleneck, waiting for you to move close enough to hit without him having to move- stay in wider areas if possible

CHECK THOSE CORNERS- ghost like to hide, make sure theyre not behind you if you post up- if you cant move in a direction that looks clear--shoot the ghost blocking you-they may have their back to you and not know your there-if they are facing you- the knife to the forehead will be your warning-(i tend to shoot those unknown corners first)

SMOKING GRENADES- not only does a ghost show up well against the smoke, they leave a very detectible void while in it

NEVER FLASHBOMB- flashbombs help the ghost, not you-- you need to see- if you flash bomb, you cant see them-either because youre flashed yourself or because your looking away- a good ghost will run a few step even if blinded, and stop- becoming invisible and untraceable-

DID HE STOP?- if your tracking a ghost movement and it disapears, he has often stopped- shoot where you last saw him

LISTEN AND WATCH- a good ghost will come at you one step at a time to remain undetected, listen for the odd step, and the breathing- and a ring of water ripples may be the only warning of a ghosts aproach

CHECK YOUR BACK DOOR- if your running a fair distance, keep a watch on your backside, remember a ghost with a knife runs faster than you with an gun so he can catch you

DEFUSE THE BOMB-i have seen many a round lost when everyone was searching for a ghost near the bomb and the nearest one was halfway across the map

and last but not least

COVER YOUR TEAMMATE- if he is defusing the bomb, his life is worth more than yours, if that bomb explodes you lose, period-
  • tl;dr ,anyone?
    nice guide tho,would be if i read it,maybe >.>
  • i read it, but.. it sounds like a young, inexperienced player wrote it. some info is wrong and all of it is based off of playing against amatures in pub rooms.

i like the meatshield term though. funny (: