Suggestion to improve the state of the game with higher tickrate servers

This is a topic that looms in my head for a long time.

Crossfire is a good game, but with many flaws. One of the biggest flaws it has is the current servers, and most specifically their tickrate. This feature is so low and outdated, it makes playing the game a chore for many players, leads to unfair situations and adds up to the usual frustration.
It is also a thing that should not be an issue in the year 2022 in my opinion.

For anyone who has no idea what the tickrate is, I can do a very simply explanation:
The tickrate is very similar to frames per second. But where frames are the update between on ones monitor, tickrate is the update of information on the server. It is not a time unit, it is a process. But they are usually tied to time, more specifically the second. A tickrate is measured in seconds, basically how often a server receives and sends information across the players within a second.

Now to the issue itself. Crossfire has an unbelieveably low tickrate. While I have no concrete numbers, I speculate it being 8. Maybe 10 at tops (I'll use 8 further in the topic for simpler understanding). This leads to players with better and better hardware (remember, we're in 2022) to have more issues. Their screen and well, their game basically refreshes very often during a second. 144 times on 144hz monitors or maybe even more, since Crossfire runs with 200 FPS without issues. While the server updates 8 times per second. This leads to huge mismatches in what the player sees on his end, and what actually happens in the game (I disregard pings here entirely, because anything below 100 or even 200 is still supposed to be very stable. We're speaking of 0.1 to 0.2 seconds).
It results players see attacks hitting enemies or actions being taken, while these things don't really happen, and it is really frustrating.

I suggest the game developer team to consider an upgrade of Crossfire WESTs servers to a higher tickrate in any way, shape or form. We're in the year 2022, and many other first-person shooting games have servers with tickrates between 64 and 128. CS:GOs public servers run 64 ticks per second, and their competitive servers run at 128 ticks, showing how important it is. Valorant runs a unified 128 ticks system.

It is generally a must have for and first-person shooter to have tickrates as high as possible.

Tl;dr: Crossfires servers have abysmall low tickrates, this leads to a lot of actions not being registered. I suggest to upgrade servers to higher tickrates, which will lead to a much better experience for all players.

Iftik

Comments

• +1 We really need an increased tick rate to make things fair again whilst not feeling disadvantaged.
  • I agree with this thread.

It is lame that the game is not capable to consume any stuff or technology from the latest 5 or even 10 years.

People who has 'new pc's' or 'razer/logitech stuff' (mouse/headphones - what ever) , are unable to fully enjoy their equipments....as the game and the servers of the game are so old ,that any kind of 'advanced' stuff are unable to exploit their full potential(or even 15% of it)...

Which leads to that -  that players with '100$ potato  pc's ' and 15 mega inet  are able to have better kd's than people who has 3000$+ pc's and 5 giga (5000 mega) inet ,and both of them are 'equal superiors' in the game...which makes a 'game' that allows to pronounce such a things into it  looks like a sad joke from the side.

For the "244 hz" - you can't get so much refresh rate on any software and monitor - you need to have both graphic card and monitor that support display port connection.and even then - as written above - you won't be able to enjoy all the hz on such an old servers.
  • I absolutely AGREEE with JostusHostus,
    on that suggestion we are been experience this issue for many years. in fact you for example my PC setup is way more advance than the game: 
    4 TB SSD
    3090 GTX 
    i9-12900HX
    monitor Alienware with 240Ghz frame rate
    all Logitech (mouse , keyboard, headset, speakers, Camara).
    Other equipment of the PC are high quality 
    this lead me to hit player with headshot blood and weapon show i hit the player with 100 hp , when i die it show 0 damage.
    If the tick rate was high it wont happed cuz low ping and high ping wont interfere of delay damage or action happening. we as players see something and on the other side something else.
    As Cross Fire player who been in the game for 10 years none stop , it will make the gaming experience way better.

Please we have too many players on discord suggestion and forum support our statement and JostusHostus as well.

Thank you for your understanding our frustration.
  • People are complaining about 64 tick in CS, including myself, while CF remains at like 10 tick, should really be fixed if the game wanna compete against other titles
  • PhoenixTVXD
    edited August 2022
    Gl having 64tick on lithtech engine...

If you want a higher tickrate they need to literally change engine and rewrite the whole game
  • JostusHostus
    edited August 2022
    Gl having 64tick on lithtech engine...

If you want a higher tickrate they need to literally change engine and rewrite the whole game

Other versions of crossfire have higher tickrates. CFBR has 32. And we run at like 8. 10 tops. Even CoDs have more with 12.
    And claiming ticks have anything to do with t he game or the engine is plain wrong.
  • It's been 13 years with the same server so I guess it's time to upgrade if the game's looking forward to continue competing on the FPS scene.

The game lost its popularity due to lack of developing from the developers side so I wish to see them putting this idea in mind as a first step of upgrading the game.
  • Gl having 64tick on lithtech engine...

Other versions of crossfire have higher tickrates. CFBR has 32. And we run at like 8. 10 tops. Even CoDs have more with 12.
    And claiming ticks have anything to do with t he game or the engine is plain wrong.
    Do you have anything to backup the tickrate for CFBR..

Lithtech engine has its limits aswell.