What is my right? My car got repossessed but I have no debt.

Hi, I have 0 debt. I bought a car from a person last October 2019, fully paid in cash. And this morning a couple of repossession guys took the car. May I know what my right is? I did not get any notice. The seller did not mention that she has still unpaid balance to the lending company and I cant reach her by the phone number she gave me.

Comments

• Depends on the laws in your country. But if you have any kind of receipt for the buy there shouldn't be that much trouble for you in most countries. I think the Repo-guys did something that they aren't supposed to do. If they tried that thing with me, I wouldn't let them leave my home with the car (or some of their limbs attached for that matter).
    JackPain (Sweden)
  • Did you get all the papers when buying it and re-registrated it? if you still have them and not accepted any letter regarding this i would report it as stolen.

Edit: Did you give them the key and/or papers, or did they have spare?
  • 1st of you should of done a HPI check. Painantor your totally wrong about the repo guys they are there to do a job receive & collect any amount owed to the lender in this case. don't matter if he paid by cash that's his fault if he didn't get any kind of receipt
    being a dept collector in my spare time we are confronted by this many times. always get irrelevant receipts/invoice.... proof of purchase in a must.
    good luck trying to get your car back. could cost a bit in court cost's btw.
  • junkgms wrote: »
    1st of you should of done a HPI check. Painantor your totally wrong about the repo guys they are there to do a job receive & collect any amount owed to the lender in this case. don't matter if he paid by cash that's his fault if he didn't get any kind of receipt
    being a dept collector in my spare time we are confronted by this many times. always get irrelevant receipts/invoice.... proof of purchase in a must.
    good luck trying to get your car back. could cost a bit in court cost's btw.

That why I said it depends on the laws in his country. In Sweden where I live, a receipt is a proof of purchase. Here (no matter if it's a buy from a private person or from a business) you and the seller fill in a change of ownership which the buyer have to send in to the Road-Administration (It's the buyers duty to do this, if he doesn't, the ownership won't change). Then a receipt is written (or at least should, some morons don't ask for it) and both of them, get a copy.

Should a dept collector want to collect something here, he can't just take it, he have to verify ownership and after he had several meetings with the owner, he can then call for a cop who collects it or do it himself (but that is very unusual). Should someone just come with a key here and say that they are a debt-collector and try to take a car without any previous meetings (both with the one who is in dept and the owner of the property where the car is located), he is breaking the law.

And should someone try it in the territory where I live, where there are about 1 cop for 5 towns, he is really tempting fate. We have a saying around here: "There are many deep wet mires around here, where people can disappear". ;)
    JackPain (Sweden)