Crossfire - AMD or INTEL?

Hello.

I have a question: does crossfire have any preference when it comes to performance of the processor? I read somewhere that games can have a better performance in a specific processor even if it is lower than the other from the competition.

So my question is:

I will probably buy a laptop just to play occasionally and it has an AMD RYZEN 5 with 4 cores of 2.1 GHz
8 GB RAM and the graphics card is a AMD VEGAS RX 8

Will it be able to run the game smoothly?

My other option is Intel i5-7200u with 2 cores of 2.5 GHz, also 8 GB ram and the graphics I think it is integrated, couldn't find any specific on the description of the laptop.

Anyway, which one would be better?
It is only for crossfire, I only play this game in the computer.

Thanks for any help!!

Comments

• I'd go for AMD. Their CPUs are just better than Intel.
  • i had both AMD and Intel, and my experience is that AMD is the Cheaper Variant but they need a LOT of care and attention when something is not running smoothly or they are very restricted on their lifetime then, and the working between each core is not so good like on intel.

Intel Cores can run even with not enough RAM as example even Games, they can compensate a lot more then AMD Cores and the Working between the Cores is Running way smoother and stable.and new Intel Cores have often to the CPU Cores they have CPU Threads, that should be "creating virtual threads", what i mean with that is when you have a intel with 2 cores and in the specs is standy threading 4 its woriking like a 4 core CPU what means a core can do more work then a single one with HyperThreading.

When you wanna play only Crossfire you can use both CPUs because Cf needs just a Pentium 4 with 2.0GHz.

But if youre playing on a Desktop and not Laptop i would go for the Intel already alone for this Reason that if you wanna upgrade in any years further you find often then good and strong intel CPUs on Sale.

But the Choice is yours, but after my Experience with Both sides im Prefer Intel, that are more likely "Work horses" :D
  • I have always had bad luck with Intel, same thing with NVIDIA. Many of my friends prefer that combination and Intel is the luxury option when it comes to parts, having more power, even if it has the same stats as an AMD CPU, that said, i think Intel is overpriced even though it has the best quality. Even if i had the money to go for an Intel set-up i wouldn't do it. These days AMD is actually catching up to the Intel standard, so if you want to have a CPU that is 5-10% faster, but generates much more heat (Which will make you buy an expensive cooler) and has about twice the price of an AMD, go with Intel.

I'm kind of against laptops too, as i love to thinker and upgrade my own PC's, but if you are absolutely set on getting a laptop. I'll have to say: even if i biased against Intel, i agree with [USER="7597733"]TheShadowRo[/USER], as the AMD has it's own GPU, not that integrated piece of crap.
    JackPain (Sweden)
  • I would like to thank you all for the reply and help.

I chose AMD and now I have another question if you guys could help

When I bought it, it said in specs that the clock base is 2.1 GHz but it can turbo to 3.7 GHz

I mean, I would like to turbo it, but for like 2.8 GHz or something close. Not the maximum.

Is it safe? How do I do it?
    ​​​​​​Thanks
  • I would like to thank you all for the reply and help.

I chose AMD and now I have another question if you guys could help

When I bought it, it said in specs that the clock base is 2.1 GHz but it can turbo to 3.7 GHz

I mean, I would like to turbo it, but for like 2.8 GHz or something close. Not the maximum.

Is it safe? How do I do it?
    ​​​​​​Thanks

I'm not a PC expert but I guess you want to overclock your CPU. I think it is safe to do it if you know what you're doing and you don't drastically boost things much. Otherwise keep them like they are.
    For this you must go to the BIOS by pressing the F8 key right after your PC lights on, and go to the advanced option, etc. Now, if you're not sure oh how to do all of that specifically for your motherboard, just check its model and find a good tutorial about it so nothing wrong is going to happen.
  • As i have a Gigabyte motherboard, i can just open the app that came with my motherboard and easily change settings from there (There is actually a turbo button, that puts it to max in one click). But as we don't know what motherboard you have, we don't know what options you have.

Generally speaking, it's pretty safe to overclock these days. The main problem doing it on a laptop, is the heat, which will rise a lot. (That's why i don't like laptops) and it's kind of hard to thinker with laptop hardware yourself. On a stationary computer, it isn't that hard to put in a couple more fans and/or a better CPU cooler.

But as long as you check the temperature, (both while gaming and while the computer is just on and doing nothing) and see so the voltage is stable, i foresee no real problems. You can easily find guides for overclocking by just googling it (Your motherboard, CPU and overclock), as you will not be the first one to do it. A great program that you can use for checking temperature and such, is Speccy, which is free.
    JackPain (Sweden)
  • Thanks for the help again, does overclock reduce its life? It would be logical right?
  • Thanks for the help again, does overclock reduce its life? It would be logical right?

It should, but i can't say I've seen any difference. If you are not super unlucky your parts should hold well over their warranty date. (Usually 3 years at least) I have an old overclocked AMD dual-core CPU that was used probably 24/7 for 6 years, before i retired it and it still worked fine by then.
    Same thing with the graphics card i used in that set-up. The only thing i seem to go through is PSU's which i usually have to change once a year.

As long as you have a sufficiently good cooling system in your computer, any parts will last long. A tip for Laptops is an external cooling pad, never used one my self, but i have friends that do and swear by it. A lot of people say that you have to have a liquid-cooling system for overclocked computers, but that is total BS (If you aren't running a military super computer or a real heavy-duty server), water cooling is mostly for show, air cooling is just fine. (And yes you can make an air cooled computer, almost as silent as water-cooled one.)
    JackPain (Sweden)