READ THIS: How to change your in-game font back and restore your FPS!

Ok, so since this patch changed our fonts ONCE AGAIN, it has for me at least, dropped my FPS from a nice 110+ FPS down to like ~40 FPS.

I KNOW RIGHT? WTF?!

Whelp, my buddy -Needle told me that I can easily change the font back to what it was before the patch, and it literally RESTORED my FPS!

You too can do this and it is very simple and does not violate any of z8games T.O.S. so you are safe to do this.

Since I found the font file on a "bad" website, I chose to download the file and upload it to mediafire so you can all get it too. Here is the link to the default.ttf font file.
http://www.mediafire.com/i/?u2d2uldagncekry

How To:

Step 1 : Go to C:\Windows\Fonts and pick a font you would like to be displayed in game. Alternatively, you can use the mediafire link above to get the default.ttf file which is the old font for Cross Fire. You will need WinRar to open the file from mediafire. Get WinRar here
http://www.win-rar.com/download.html?&L=0

Step 2 : Go to C:\Program Files\Z8Games\CrossFire\rez\Fonts, there you'll see a font named as 'default', delete that font and Paste the font you want to be displayed and rename it as 'default'

Note : It has to be named as 'default' or else you will not see ANY font in CF; i.e. your name, lobby room names, descriptions, etc. Anything that would have font, will NOT have font unless you name the file default.ttf which it is named automatically.

Simply download the file from mediafire with the link above, and paste the new default.ttf file into C:\Program Files\Z8Games\CrossFire\rez\Fonts .

You can either delete the original default.ttf file in the Fonts folder and paste in the one you downloaded, or paste the downloaded file into the folder and when it asks you to Move and Replace the file(s), click yes.

Youre done!

Fire up CF and enjoy your high FPS once again!

EDIT:: ALSO! You can try compressing ALL of the sound files in the Snd2 folder of the Cross Fire folder to increase your FPS. I gained about 20 FPS overall by simply compressing the sound files.

This is how you compress the files.

Go to wherever you have CF installed, into the Cross Fire/rez/SND2 .

Once you are there, you must select each sound file inside of ALL of the folders in the Snd2 folder, right click on them, then click properties. I use Win7, and for me I clicked the Advanced Box when Properties opens, and click the check box at the bottom to compress the file(s) to conserve disk space.

Then click apply. Do this for ALL of the sound files and you will see a noticeable increase in FPS without sacrificing any of the sound quality.

Comments

This discussion has been closed.