Books worth of reading

Comments

• Zuci wrote: »
    This I agree. And why?
    Because..

There is huge amount of information which is left out or changed in movies. The best and probably one of the known left out scene is probably Tom Bombadil in Lord of the Rings -trilogy. In movie this fellow wasn't shown even once. Also the true story is changed in some movies so much that it looses the real meaning of the story and basically creates only "another possible ending", here great example is Eragon -movie.

Also books train your brains more effectively when comparing to movies, since you have to create the scenes in your mind, with your imagination, unlike in movies where everything is done for you, just readied to serve. So basically, being a bookworm makes you clever.
    <*^_^*>

To continue with good effects of reading - it trains your writing/reading skills, since you (in my opinion!) become more aware of the misspellings.
    Of course, if you read with another language than your mother language, there's even more effect in these two skills.

This most probably tl;dr to many of you, but I leave it here now.
    <*^_^*>
    I may continue later, thought.

Oh dear..
    <o.o>
    Mornings are bad for me.. Don't listen the silly. ^^'

Exactly.
    Books leave a lot to the imagination, which makes you think of the setting in a way you like/want.
    Movies also change certain aspects of a book which may make you think differently of something. So it can ultimately change how you feel towards the the story and characters.
  • [MOD]9 wrote: »
    I've read the twilight series, and the other book by myer, the host.

Meh they're okay.

OT: If you want an adventure series: Dirk Pitt series from Clive Cussler.

100% agree. Twilight and Hunger Games were both meh imo. Both had main characters with major flaws. Sahara on the other hand is a fun read.
  • paragraph 1: the movies do the most interesting parts of the book. there's no need to waste time with little meaningless details

para 2: reading doesn't make you magically clever. that's just what parents/teachers tell their kids to make them read instead of watch. one who reads is not more intelligent than one who watches. dumb assumption passed on for generations.

para 3: who cares? after you're done school it won't even matter anymore.

"Little meaningless details" can often change perspective. Books tend to not be so good because they're from the perceptive of a few individuals, as where a book can have a different multiple meanings on different people.

Reading stimulates your brain and while it may be little by little, it does help.
    Either by learning new vocabulary or just over all improving how you write. How do you expect to be a good writer if you never read.

Maybe if you're aiming low on your career you won't need reading and writing.

failedtroll.jpg
  • paragraph 1: the movies do the most interesting parts of the book. there's no need to waste time with little meaningless details

para 2: reading doesn't make you magically clever. that's just what parents/teachers tell their kids to make them read instead of watch. one who reads is not more intelligent than one who watches. dumb assumption passed on for generations.

1. If movie changes the original story of a book, then yes, some characters become meaningless. That's part of the point I was trying to say.
    <*^_^*>

2. I believe someone else can answer better for you about this, since it would take me too long to explain myself, since English isn't my first language.

3. If you believe so, then I wonder whatkind of contracts, etc. you are adding your name in. There's usually a reason why some papers have such a weird words. Because people do not realize what those might mean. Am not calling people dummies or anything like that. It's just that some may use words as an advance over others.

you learn all you need by the time you finish high school when it comes to language. no need for using unique/unseen words. writing is pretty much a thing of the past. the future holds good social skills done by video. that's where the gold will be by the time you kids grow up. the rest of the gold will be from labour work. writing is on it's last stand.

Well, do I feel old now.
    <*^_^*>
  • OOOOH Zuci, I never knew!

I worked super late today (i just finished work at 1:30AM), but I will totally give you a pile of books you can read. We even have similar taste!

For the short term, Ender's game / Speaker of the Dead series by Orson Scott Card would be a good series to pick up if no-one has suggested it yet.

When I have time, many books will be listed.

No, they don't. They take the most appealing parts, from a movie perspective, and adjust the story to fit that. Add and subtract, to make a good movie, not to properly represent the book.
    Bookwriting is documenting your opinions, ideals, preferences, and trains of thought.
    That isn't interesting to a common movie maker, so hes going to cut away a lot of good dialog because it doesn't fit in the movie.
    If you prefer movies over books, so be it.
    You're not the kind of person who likes to think, but rather watches mindless fiction.
    I'm not one to judge.

Its called learning, and you do it through gathering information and memorizing it, consciously or unconsciously.
    If you don't see how that relates to reading then you should probably read more.
    This is of course related to point 1: Watching doesn't activate the same brain regions, there is a lot less information in a documentary about a subject than there is in the novel that the documentary is based on.
    It doesn't require any real activity on the viewers part - while reading is an extremely active process.
  • Delaco1 wrote: »
    OOOOH Zuci, I never knew!

I worked super late today (i just finished work at 1:30AM), but I will totally give you a pile of books you can read. We even have similar taste!

For the short term, Ender's game / Speaker of the Dead series by Orson Scott Card would be a good series to pick up if no-one has suggested it yet.

When I have time, many books will be listed.
    <*^_^*>
    Yay!
    It seems like my town's library do have Ender's game -series.
    I know I've read atleast one book from this writer.. Just can't remember which one.

[MOD]dot wrote: »
    No, they don't. They take the most appealing parts, from a movie perspective, and adjust the story to fit that. Add and subtract, to make a good movie, not to properly represent the book.
    Bookwriting is documenting your opinions, ideals, preferences, and trains of thought.
    That isn't interesting to a common movie maker, so hes going to cut away a lot of good dialog because it doesn't fit in the movie.
    If you prefer movies over books, so be it.
    You're not the kind of person who likes to think, but rather watches mindless fiction.
    I'm not one to judge.

Its called learning, and you do it through gathering information and memorizing it, consciously or unconsciously.
    If you don't see how that relates to reading then you should probably read more.
    This is of course related to point 1: Watching doesn't activate the same brain regions, there is a lot less information in a documentary about a subject than there is in the novel that the documentary is based on.
    It doesn't require any real activity on the viewers part - while reading is an extremely active process.

It's nice to see that someone can explain this more properly than I can.
    <*^_^*>
  • "that's a great story and i hope you tell it again sometime. but do it in video format so we save time. not every one has countless hours to waste on books" TruthhurtsU said while posting on z8games forums with a sore back at 4:23am on an asus laptop using google chrome with an american internet on a calm clear april thursday spring night. see how much pointless nonsense you have to read? in a movie you absorb it in all in 1 second.

mindless fiction is mindless fiction no matter if you watch or read.
    I was wishing you to be more detailed, when describing your situation.
    But then again, if I'd seen it in TV, I wouldn't focus in it as much. That's only me, thought.
    <*^_^*>
    But anyhow, now we know what is everyone's opinion who has discussed about this. Thought, I don't see your way why movies are better than books, but I'm not going to try and change your opinion. So that we possible could avoid anyone else try to force you to change your opinion, can we change subject to something else..
    ...Less Aggressive?
    <*^_^*>
    Wow, this is quite fun!
    Hi there!
    I've come up with a huge problem (to me atleast)! I've read rather many books and starting to run out of good fantasy literature. I've actually read some really good books more than twice, just for the joy of reading 'em.
    Now I'm asking from you, forumers if you have anything to suggest that I should read.
    I love to read fantasy literature, but I also enjoy other literature.
    Mostly I read books in Finnish, but English isn't a problem to me as long as the subject is interesting. ^^' But anyways, feel free to suggest me any possible books, you know are good or you may have heard some book is worth of reading!

Just so there wouldn't be many suggestions of books I've already read, here is a SMALL list of some books I've already read.

~All books from David (& Leigh) Eddings
    ~Ursula K. LeGuin's books (most of them)
    ~Christopher Paolini's Inheritance (3 first books)
    ~Basically all the books from the Forgotten Realms -series, except the newest ones.
    ~Same with Dragonlance -series.
    ~Terry Brook's High Druid of Shannara -series' 3 books (I'm not sure whether there's more, wasn't really my kind of books)
    ~Inkheart (I don't remember the writer)
    ~J. R. R. Tolkien's all possible books I could have found.
    ~Some of Mika Waltari's books (Can't remember all of them)
    ~Birdy (I don't remember the writer, thought I'd like to know if someone else does, so I could maybe find it again and re-read this book [This book I'm meaning tell about a boy who wanted to be a bird and he fell love with his canarian bird and saw dreams of her.])
    ~All of the Narnia books.
    ~Perfume (Don't remember the writer, maybe Stephen King? )

I haven't read Stephen King's books much, since am not that into horror, when it comes to reading and what I've listened of other's opinions about him, it feels like most of his books are horror -kind of stuff. Correct me, if I'm wrong.

I don't remember even half of the books I've read before I see the name of the book or hear a bit of the story, sorry for that. ^^'

<*^_^*>
    Now then.. I shall be waiting for your suggestions, since lost my focus..
    *Sits to brush her tail*

EDIT: Just noticed, this is my 10th thread I've ever made at z8's forums.

Read classics, by that I mean oldest books of mankind.
  • [MOD]Rory wrote: »
    Natt enjoyed Twilight. He said so himself.

you troll, you.
    Zuci wrote: »
    What kind of literature is these Redwall -thingies?
    <o.o>
    Never heard before.
    (And I'm way too lazy to google anything discussed in here)

Ermmm its a series of books about woodland-type animals, that go on amazing adventures//battles//look after redwall abbey etc...i make it sound bad...but they're amazing!
    [MOD]9 wrote: »
    I've read the twilight series, and the other book by myer, the host.

Meh they're okay.

OT: If you want an adventure series: Dirk Pitt series from Clive Cussler.

ewwwwwwww.
  • "that's a great story and i hope you tell it again sometime. but do it in video format so we save time. not every one has countless hours to waste on books" TruthhurtsU said while posting on z8games forums with a sore back at 4:23am on an asus laptop using google chrome with an american internet on a calm clear april thursday spring night. see how much pointless nonsense you have to read? in a movie you absorb it in all in 1 second.

How would you videotape what I wrote, without excluding anything?

The book is one of the best inventions of all time, right up there with the wheel.
    Too bad you're too ignorant, lazy or stupid to appreciate it.
    But not to worry, those of us with active minds always will.
  • well movies are better because they are visual books in one/tenth of the time. and there's no eye candy in books. There's a reason why newspapers and authors are dying rapidly. books are like a 1.50$. more and more people are realising the potential in video and acknowledging reading is a dead waste technology.

books also cause migraines, cramps, and cancer. movies can only cause seizures, but only in the most extreme rarity.
    Like I said.. I do not understand, because I think totally vice versa when comparing to your way of thinking.
    (Books do not have eye candy, but only mind candy!) ^^
    There is different kind of books also, which just came to my mind, since I'm not that into in voicebooks or reading from a screen. It's not always paper. But to me, paper is one of the most precious things in the world, where it blank or full of text. Or other kind of art.
    Maybe I'm just one of those who are dying slowly away then, maybe not. ^^

But I do not understand. Of course, I can't deny (and won't), that movies are sure joying to watch, but those never can win literature and using of imagination.

(In the end I just have to make a comment about myself: I feel rather.. Clever today, when discussing about this. <o.o> I mean I'm seriously trying to explain myself and justify my opinion, not playing the usual dummy. It feels kind of a fun.)
    <*^_^*>
    *Giggles*
    Tecumtha wrote: »
    Read classics, by that I mean oldest books of mankind.
    I'm not really that into classics.. Thought I once did swear that I will someday read Shakespeare's production.
    And well.. I've read almost first 500 pages from Holy Bibble.. (Geez, that's some family tree stuff and a lot of it. I got mixed by the names all the time.)

But yes, I kinda like really old books, but not the classics.. ^^'
    Actually I just started to read a book from Finnish writer from 80's. 80's is old to me, no offense, since I did not live yet.
    <*^_^*>
  • The terry Pratchett disc world series is brilliant and funny and spans 36 books atm with probably another 20 stand alone books
  • JOONIE B JONES!

YEH THATS RIGHT O_o

O.o Your free ^^
  • I bought this book randomly and never read it due to my laziness.

After reading a few hundred pages it was actually very interesting.

The Exile by Allan Folson.
  • I bought this book randomly and never read it due to my laziness.

books arent bad. Its just you gotta get into it.
  • A_YEATS wrote: »
    The terry Pratchett disc world series is brilliant and funny and spans 36 books atm with probably another 20 stand alone books
    I have to confess that I don't like Terry Pratchett's books.
    Read one and it was not a joy.
    I don't know why, but those books just didn't spark.. ^^'
    I bought this book randomly and never read it due to my laziness.

What kind of book it is?
  • [MOD]9 wrote: »
    ?
    Care to elaborate?

twilight....sparkly vampires.... The Last Vampire Series is much better.
    JONNIE B JONES!

YEH THATS RIGHT O_o

ufc fan? well done...but try not to spam incorrect threads.
    I'm not really that into classics.. Thought I once did swear that I will someday read Shakespeare's production.
    And well.. I've read almost first 500 pages from Holy Bibble.. (Geez, that's some family tree stuff and a lot of it. I got mixed by the names all the time.)

Actually I just started to read a book from Finnish writer from 80's. 80's is old to me, no offense, since I did not live yet.
    <*^_^*>

Beowulf and Hamlet are pretty good books.
    I know this goes against what was just said above, but there's a movie on Hamlet that's done word by word so everything in the book is in the movie.. IMO it's pretty good, except since it's word for word it's like 4-5 hours long. It's also set in a different time period, but that just gives it a more visually pleasing setting.

I used to be like this too; I'd always want to watch a movie over reading a book because I could actually see what was transpiring. But the thing about books is this: you can picture it in YOUR mind the way YOU want to see it, and not the way some producer intended you to see it. Once you are able to create images in your mind based on text, reading is a lot more enjoyable, because you see the story in a way that you wish to see it.

But I'm sure videos and movies are WAY cooler than that, right?
    Like I said.. I do not understand, because I think totally vice versa when comparing to your way of thinking.
    (Books do not have eye candy, but only mind candy!) ^^
    There is different kind of books also, which just came to my mind, since I'm not that into in voicebooks or reading from a screen. It's not always paper. But to me, paper is one of the most precious things in the world, where it blank or full of text. Or other kind of art.
    Maybe I'm just one of those who are dying slowly away then, maybe not. ^^

But I do not understand. Of course, I can't deny (and won't), that movies are sure joying to watch, but those never can win literature and using of imagination.

(In the end I just have to make a comment about myself: I feel rather.. Clever today, when discussing about this. <o.o> I mean I'm seriously trying to explain myself and justify my opinion, not playing the usual dummy. It feels kind of a fun.)
    <*^_^*>
    *Giggles*

<*^_^*>

Bible is one of the oldest books.

Ever heard of Gilgamesh?
    What kind of books Jim Butcher has written?

He writes fanasty books My two favorate by him are the Codex Alera and the Dresden Files

Codex - http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/alera

Dresden Files - http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/dresden

I Strongly recommend reading the Dresden Files as it is one of my favorite series.
  • Well although I started reading these when I was young, I just finished all of the series like last month. There are 4 series of the Warriors in all, and each series has 6 books. All about 300-400 pages each. Easy reads. I'll elaborate a bit more:
    As an introduction it's about a house cat named Rusty and he journey's beyond his fence and into the woods where he meets cats just like him- but they live in the wild. They take him in and then lots of prophecies and battles and stuff happen.

My very crude way of explaining it anyway. Please read them, they are great, despite my horrid description. They are by Erin Hunter. She also writed Seekers and a few other non-series related Warrior books.

*Edit
    1st Series: Warriors
    1: Into the Wild
    2: Fire and Ice
    3: Forest of Secrets
    4: Rising Storm
    5: A Dangerous Path
    6: The Darkest Hour

2nd Series: The New Prophecy
    1:Midnight
    2: Moonrise
    3: Dawn
    4: Starlight
    5: Twilight
    6: Sunset

3rd Series: Power of Three
    1: The Sight
    2: Dark River
    3: Outcast
    4: Eclipse
    5: Long Shadows
    6: Sunrise

4th Series: Omen of the Stars
    1: The Fourth Apprentice
    2: Fading Echoes
    3: Night Whispers
    4: The Sign of the Moon
    5: Forgotten Warrior
    6: The Last Hope
  • Ender's Game

Also, posting in a Zuci thread.
    /thread
  • Delaco1 wrote: »
    You expect me to read through thread pages? What do you take me for, tastylimes on a tangent?
  • ((STYX)) wrote: »
    You expect me to read through thread pages? What do you take me for, tastylimes on a tangent?

I expect satisfaction sir.

Get to reading.