Mouse Acceleration

Just wondering how the community feels about mouse acceleration. Do you guys have it enabled/disabled? Personally, I really like my mouse acceleration and manage to do well with it but some players tell me that they have theirs disabled (mostly competitive players). What are your thoughts?

Discuss:

Comments

• I don't have mouse acceleration, but I'm not exactly a model player...
  • iStalk9 wrote: »
    My thoughts are meh.

Disabled.

elaborate please?

I find that as a "sniper" in this game, the mouse acceleration lets me focus on the center of the screen then as I spot the enemy players, I just need a small flick and I usually get the frag. I also find that it really helps when you spot those players out of the corner of your eye and lets you react accordingly.
  • In a perfect world, you could control (enable/disable and set squared value) it like in quake. It would also help if we new the calculation that the mouse accel uses.

However, since it is engine forced and several games that use the Jupiter EX engine suffer from this same issue, there isn't anything we can do.

Also I would like people to stop continuing this myth that if you disable mouse acceleration in windows, crossfire won't have mouse accel. This is erroneous and leads to lots of confusion.
  • Why would you turn it off?

To build muscle memory.

If I move my mouse 5 cm, my screen moves X distance every time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dU9-fN1Az0

Is a good example from CS:S.
  • Why would you turn it off?

The main problem is, the amount of mouse movement in an acceleration mode is not totally a linear relationship with you hands move. It also depends on how fast you have move.

You can slow move you hand, to point to a point, and click, and you can fast move to a region before doing that, with little hand movement.

But as you can not always ensure the speed you hand moves (or you have trained yourself in controlling the distance), that will be very confusing and create some strange feeling of control. The mouse is very sensitive in game (because we move mouse fast in game), but when you test it, you might feel ok, because you mouse not moving so fast.

I am not sure if the control of speed is easier or control of distance is easier. I feel that when I disabled the acceleration, it feels like my laptop now.

I suggested the game to take over all the controls into the game itself, so that we can click here to enable or disable acceleration for the game only, and have a unique number to set the mouse speed, no matter how what windows setting it is, 60 inside game will always feel same, regardless of what the dpi of your mouse. However, I am not sure if it is feasible or easy to do so. Anyway, adjust mouse speed between two computer is painful.
  • GhostArch wrote: »
    The main problem is, the amount of mouse movement in an acceleration mode is not totally a linear relationship with you hands move. It also depends on how fast you have move.

You can slow move you hand, to point to a point, and click, and you can fast move to a region before doing that, with little hand movement.

But as you can not always ensure the speed you hand moves (or you have trained yourself in controlling the distance), that will be very confusing and create some strange feeling of control. The mouse is very sensitive in game (because we move mouse fast in game), but when you test it, you might feel ok, because you mouse not moving so fast.

I am not sure if the control of speed is easier or control of distance is easier. I feel that when I disabled the acceleration, it feels like my laptop now.

I suggested the game to take over all the controls into the game itself, so that we can click here to enable or disable acceleration for the game only, and have a unique number to set the mouse speed, no matter how what windows setting it is, 60 inside game will always feel same, regardless of what the dpi of your mouse. However, I am not sure if it is feasible or easy to do so. Anyway, adjust mouse speed between two computer is painful.

There are several games that have implementations like you mentioned, however none of them use the Jupiter EX engine.

I get the point. Thanks.
  • dooplpk wrote: »
    There are several games that have implementations like you mentioned, however none of them use the Jupiter EX engine.

Then in the mouse control page, they should add an instruction:
    "For xp, control panel -> .....
    For vista , control panel -> ....
    For win7, ......"

Believe it or not, even I have played lots of FPS, I just followed all kind of instructions to set the mouse setting. And I remember that set in xp changed something that I got familar with and happy. However, when install the game on windows 7, for some reason I forgot to disable it, probably because the name of option is no more mouse acceleration.

Anyway, if there is no way for them to simplify it, just add an instruction to reminder player to do it by themselves. Otherwise, many would spends night to figure out what happens --- search such an old thread is not an easy task.
    Then in the mouse control page, they should add an instruction:
    "For xp, control panel -> .....
    For vista , control panel -> ....
    For win7, ......"

Believe it or not, even I have played lots of FPS, I just followed all kind of instructions to set the mouse setting. And I remember that set in xp changed something that I got familar with and happy. However, when install the game on windows 7, for some reason I forgot to disable it, probably because the name of option is no more mouse acceleration.

Anyway, if there is no way for them to simplify it, just add an instruction to reminder player to do it by themselves. Otherwise, many would spends night to figure out what happens --- search such an old thread is not an easy task.

There's 3 main ways your mouse is interpreted:
    direct input
    raw input
    windows rendering

Each of those have nothing to do with mouse accel. Although windows rendering does lead to negative excel when you have high dpi.

As for mouse accel in various versions of windows:
    Windows 7: MarkC mouse fix removes it and restores it to 1:1
    Windows XP: Cheese/CPL mouse fix

MarkC mouse fix is rather robust and can be used with all versions of windows.

There is currently no known way to remove mouse acceleration from the game engine.
  • don't like accelerated mouse just cause its TOO fast for me.
    There's 3 main ways your mouse is interpreted:
    direct input
    raw input
    windows rendering

Each of those have nothing to do with mouse accel. Although windows rendering does lead to negative excel when you have high dpi.

As for mouse accel in various versions of windows:
    Windows 7: MarkC mouse fix removes it and restores it to 1:1
    Windows XP: Cheese/CPL mouse fix

MarkC mouse fix is rather robust and can be used with all versions of windows.

There is currently no known way to remove mouse acceleration from the game engine.

Lots of new concepts:)

Is the MarkC mouse fix includes removing the mouse acceleration? I am not sure how useful it is in game, but with it, the aim is not quite under control, it get really very sensitive most of the cases. I tried moving speed influence and find out that speed have effect on distance, even I have limited the movement between two wall of a box.

I really feel that dpi matters because when I change my mouse to a higher dpi wireless (on same laptop), it seems that mouse is very sensitive (not even in game).

Just a wonder, where is the official download of the two fix, and what will they do to my pc?

Ok, here it is, thanks dooplpk

http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=1846538
  • Hmm. Well on my Logitech Control Panel thing, I just disable the OS accel and pointers and I keep the dpi and everything the same whenever I use the mouse.

@doop, so you're saying that whenever we play CF, there's another accel in game different from whatever mouse settings we may be using? o-o
  • @doop, so you're saying that whenever we play CF, there's another accel in game different from whatever mouse settings we may be using? o-o

yes it is built into the game engine (Jupiter EX). it doesn't matter what mouse/windows settings you have, the mouse accel will be there.
    yes it is built into the game engine (Jupiter EX). it doesn't matter what mouse/windows settings you have, the mouse accel will be there.

I can not quite feel that, I tested the move with fixed distance by limit my mouse move by the walls of a box. Different movement speed seems at least very close in screen movement.
  • The game has mouse acceleration built into it. Just learned this info yesterday.
    Different movement speed seems at least very close in screen movement.

That's the definition of acceleration...

If there was no mouse acceleration it would be independent of the speed. I could move my mouse 6 inches at 1 inch/hour and it would still go the same distance as if i moved my mouse 6 inchs at 6inches/nanosecond.

Try moving your mouse very very very slow. Record how far it went, now reset to your starting position and fling your arm as fast as possible. You will notice that they are not the same spot. Proving there is mouse acceleration.
    I really feel that dpi matters because when I change my mouse to a higher dpi wireless (on same laptop), it seems that mouse is very sensitive (not even in game).

You are mistaking sensitivity (speed) for acceleration.

The only relation dpi has to accleration is this:

If you have high dpi your sensitivity will feel high. Since the game has acceleration, the higher your sensitivity the more acceleration. To minimize the effect of acceleration you should use a low sensitivity.

I for example use 3 sensitivity in game and 400 dpi.
  • you also might be using a mouse with built in acceleration (you can't turn it off)

the steelseries xai is a good example

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AosJbEwEG9GpdEpBMGc1ZXo0S3BLQm1YQ09jeVZ6bEE&w=100&h=650
    That's the definition of acceleration...

If there was no mouse acceleration it would be independent of the speed. I could move my mouse 6 inches at 1 inch/hour and it would still go the same distance as if i moved my mouse 6 inchs at 6inches/nanosecond.

Try moving your mouse very very very slow. Record how far it went, now reset to your starting position and fling your arm as fast as possible. You will notice that they are not the same spot. Proving there is mouse acceleration.

What I mean, I can not notice the difference in displacement on screen when I move the mouse with different speed for same distance.

In my experiment, I used a small box, I move the mouse from one wall to another, by hand move (tilt and let mouse slide can create same effect, but it rotate sometime and bounce). You just need a paint program and read the mouse position in status bar.

The value I read are close enough, I believe the different is from the experimental error.
    you also might be using a mouse with built in acceleration (you can't turn it off)

the steelseries xai is a good example

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AosJbEwEG9GpdEpBMGc1ZXo0S3BLQm1YQ09jeVZ6bEE&w=100&h=650

Really learned alot, but I want to know if the two application to change registration only affect the game? Or the windows will feel slow mouse movement?

Also, I want to know if following FPS is affected: AVA, CS1.6, Project Blackout, Combat arms.

The game affected by the game engine
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithtech
    What I mean, I can not notice the difference in displacement on screen when I move the mouse with different speed for same distance.

In my experiment, I used a small box, I move the mouse from one wall to another, by hand move (tilt and let mouse slide can create same effect, but it rotate sometime and bounce). You just need a paint program and read the mouse position in status bar.

The value I read are close enough, I believe the different is from the experimental error.

Then maybe you are unique and don't have mouse acceleration.
    Then maybe you are unique and don't have mouse acceleration.

I would think the speed difference in my test is not large enough now when compared to the error. But to disable the windows mouse acceleration has a really noticable effect.
    Really learned alot, but I want to know if the two application to change registration only affect the game? Or the windows will feel slow mouse movement?

Also, I want to know if following FPS is affected: AVA, CS1.6, Project Blackout, Combat arms.

AVA - uses the ut3 engine, other than that i dunno
    CS1.6 - Depends on your windows setting
    Project Blackout, no idea
    Combat arms, yes (Same engine as crossfire Jupiter EX)
  • 6/11 Windows
    3 sensitivity ingame
    MarkC mouse fix 1:1
    450 dpi
    125hz

http://imageshack.us/g/837/crossfire201201240000.png/

Mouse movement was bounded by a t-square. Just moved it along the bottom of my mouse pad (puretrak talent 19'' long). Once at a slow speed, then a faster speed the second time.
    6/11 Windows
    3 sensitivity ingame
    MarkC mouse fix 1:1
    450 dpi
    125hz

http://imageshack.us/g/837/crossfire201201240000.png/

Mouse movement was bounded by a t-square. Just moved it along the bottom of my mouse pad (puretrak talent 19'' long). Once at a slow speed, then a faster speed the second time.

Ok, make sense, longer test distance also.
  • I have mine enabled but only because it's the default setting on win7 and now I'm used to it. Disabled may very well be better but when I changed it it fudged my shiz right up and I don't really feel like 'reprogramming' my muscle memory.

Also, changing the windows setting does affect acceleration in game.(dooplpk claimed it doesn't) I tested it. With acceleration enabled I put my mouse at a set point and moved it slowly to point 'x'. Then I moved my mouse quickly back to same point and it did not return my crosshair to the same point. Then I did the same thing with acceleration disabled and no matter what speed I moved the mouse at my crosshair would return to the same place.

MYTH: Busted
  • ' wrote:
    dvda[;2772014']I have mine enabled but only because it's the default setting on win7 and now I'm used to it. Disabled may very well be better but when I changed it it fudged my shiz right up and I don't really feel like 'reprogramming' my muscle memory.

Also, changing the windows setting does affect acceleration in game.(dooplpk claimed it doesn't) I tested it. With acceleration enabled I put my mouse at a set point and moved it slowly to point 'x'. Then I moved my mouse quickly back to same point and it did not return my crosshair to the same point. Then I did the same thing with acceleration disabled and no matter what speed I moved the mouse at my crosshair would return to the same place.

MYTH: Busted

What did you use to disable it? MarkC, CPL, Cheese, or something else

What are your mouse settings:
    Windows Sensitivity-
    Enhance Pointer Precision-
    USB Polling Rate-

What mouse are you using?

What operating system?

Please make a video proving it. Seems like there is always someone random on the forums claiming they don't have mouse accel, when people who are very experienced have it.

If you are using MarkC mouse fix you must check Enhance pointer precision to disable mouse accel. Classically checking Enhance pointer precision, enables mouse accel; not disabling it. However the MarkC takes the mouse accel curve and makes it 1:1.

Jupiter Extended (EX)
    F.E.A.R. by Monolith Productions (2005)
    Condemned: Criminal Origins by Monolith Productions (2005)
    F.E.A.R. Extraction Point by TimeGate Studios (2006)
    F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate by TimeGate Studios (2007)
    Condemned 2: Bloodshot by Monolith Productions (2008)
    Terrorist Takedown 2: US Navy SEALs by City Interactive (2008)
    Mortyr: Operation Thunderstorm by City Interactive (2008)
    Code Of Honor 2: Conspiracy Island by City Interactive (2008)
    SAS: Secure Tomorrow by City Interactive (2008)
    Royal Marines: Commando by City Interactive (2008)
    Crossfire by SmileGate (2008)
    Combat Arms by Nexon Corporation (2008)
    F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin by Monolith Productions (2009)
    Armed Forces Corp. by City Interactive (2009)
    Battlestrike: Shadow of Stalingrad aka. Battlestrike: Force of Resistance 2 by City Interactive (2009)
    Code of Honor 3: Desperate Measures by City Interactive (2009)
    Wolfschanze II by City Interactive (2009)
    Special Forces by City Interactive (2010)
    Terrorist Takedown 3 by City Interactive (2010)
    Gotham City Impostors by Monolith Productions (2012)

Every game on that list has mouse acceleration, don't believe me go do some google searches.

Combat Arms and Crossfire use the same and have the same acceleration problems. Coincidence?