Would a GM or MOD be so kind as to help me?

I have opened a support ticket and the support people have closed it.

The in-game resolution and refresh rates are not correct on this computer
since the spring patch has came out.

Please look here I have posted the dialog in the ticket that I opened.
http://forum.z8games.com/showthread.php?t=138865

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well, I have contacted support throught their ticket system and so far
I have gotton a run-around reply. I need help. I will post my open ticket here
in hopes that someone will see this that has a solution.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hello, I'm having a problem with the in-game resolution and

refresh rate not being detected by the game since the

spring patch was released.

My desktop settings are set to 1024x768 @75HZ.
The in-game setting is ticked to also use 1024x768.

Before the patch was released the game would run at

1024x768 @75HZ as reported by my monitor.

My monitor is now reporting that the game is only running

48.3 khz @60HZ NN. It''s not even 800x600 @60HZ like other

people are reporting.
It is so very hard on my eyes to view like this with

all the f******ing (fl.ic.ker.ing).

I have a samtron 19" color CRT monitor.
I reinstalled the game as per to GM Saidin's guide on the

forum.

I also reinstalled updated Direct X and also reinstalled
and updated the Nvidia Graphics driver from version
186.18 whql to 266.58 whql.

I have tried to use all the settings in the in-game

settings panel to no avail.

I still get a 60HZ refresh rate no matter what i change now.

The monitor is reporting those off key resolution

numbers and not the 1024x768@75HZ as before the patch.

The only solution I have found is to use a third party tool

called RefreshLock that Falkentyne1 mentioned in this

thread on the forums that will let me use the proper refresh
rate.

http://forum.z8games.com/showthread.php?t=137568

These below are the specifications on this computer.

Operating System
MS Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3

CPU
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ 38 °C
Windsor 90nm Technology

RAM
4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 400MHz 5-5-5-15

Motherboard
MSI MS-7374 (CPU 1)

Graphics
S/T 97B/96B @ 1024x768
512MB GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+ (BFG Tech) 67°C
512MB GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+ (BFG Tech) 64°C
SLI Enabled

Hard Drives
500GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKS-00YGA0 (IDE) 41 °C
500GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKS-00YGA0 (IDE) 43 °C

These below are the settings which I have set in the game

itself.

Resolution: 1024x768
Color: 32bit
Texture: High
Menu Screen: windowed
Blood: on
Bulletrail: on
Weather effects: off
Gamma: 100

One question I would like to ask is if there is a

configuration file or initialization file or a registry

string that can be changed for this game that will make it

use my desktop settings?

Thanks.
If you need more info just let me know.

Z8 REPLY Time 3/28/2011 9:44:16 PM

Dear player,

You can also check out our Cross Fire Technical Support forums for any new information or work around for new bugs.

For more common problems please try the suggestions in the Common Solutions thread: http://forum.z8games.com/showthread.php?t=52579

My Response

Reply Time 3/29/2011 12:35:14 AM

Yes sir, as I stated in my ticket I have followed GM Saidin's guides to reinstall the game and update the drivers and direct X. The problem is that the game will not run
the same 1024x768@75HZ as my desktop resolution and refresh rate unless I use that third party tool to force it. I need to know what file I can change to have the game run at 1024x768@75HZ. If a third party tool can make the game run at that correct resolution and refresh rate surely there is a setting in the config files somewhere that will allow me to implement that setting. The game was
utilizing my desktop resolution of 1024x768@75HZ before the spring patch. I have re-downloaded the full game installer 3 times from your website now and have performed the reinstall 5 times or 6 now in hopes that it would initialize with the proper settings. It does not. The game
initalizes with only 60HZ refresh rate and not 75HZ as per my desktop settings.
Please advise.
OMG. I JUST RECIEVED ANOTHER STUPID REPLY AND THEY CLOSED MY TICKET.... Are the support staff not able to read and understand the tickets?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Reply Time 3/29/2011 2:35:07 AM

Dear player,

We have no idea any third party tool can do this job

please try our common solutions for issues, which can be found at the following link:
http://forum.z8games.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13

If you require further assistance, please post in our Tech Support forum or submit an additional support request.

Comments

• Why dont you just put your screen at 60HZ?
  • KimiKelKu wrote: »
    Why dont you just put your screen at 60HZ?

You actually read all that?
  • KimiKelKu wrote: »
    Why dont you just put your screen at 60HZ?

Because this is a CRT (cathode ray tube) monitor. The monitor fl.ickers horrendously at 60HZ.

Before the spring patch the game ran at 75HZ witch does not fl.icker on
    a CRT monitor.

Have you have ever looked at a CRT monitor for an extended period of time at
    a low refresh rate? It will harm your eyes, give you a headache, and in extreme
    cases it will make people have epileptic seizures.

I want the same refresh rate of 75HZ that the game would use before the
    patch without having to use a third party tool to do what the game should do
    to start with. Something is bugged.
  • I have a samtron 19" color CRT monitor.

there ur problem, CRT monitors are out dated. CRt use a passive refresh and newer monitor have aggressive refresh.

please LCD or LED are easier on the eyes

you cant even google a CRT monitor for sale, at less in the first page
  • I have a samtron 19" color CRT monitor.

there ur problem, CRT monitors are out dated. CRt use a passive refresh and newer monitor have aggressive refresh.

please LCD or LED are easier on the eyes

you cant even google a CRT monitor for sale, at less in the first page

Go to your local computer store or big outlet. I'm sure you can find a good one.

But that is not the problem,, as I stated this game worked correctly before
    the patch with my desktop resolution and refresh rate. The problem is
    within the game not using anything other than a 60HZ refresh rate...
    It's funny all my other games still are working at 1024x768@75 or 85 or 100HZ,
    or what ever I want with this monitor.

75HZ is all you need to make it not fl.cker (why is fl.icker a bad word?).
    Any faster is overkill for me and will shorten the life of your monitor.
  • I've got an Ati Hd 5570 video card and it has an option, Automatic Override, which sets the 75 hz to any application, no matter the default settings.

Your system is great, my question is, why not get a flat LCD monitor? Its not that expensive, it can run at higher Hz frequencies and its not that harmfull to the eyes.

And about the game being buggy, we all know thats the way it is. Its been over 1 year since they announced they were planning new resolutions, so far nothing. Im waiting for the 1280x1024 because my monitor is square 19". Probably with new resolutions they will fix the problems regarding Hz display.

Who knows, it may not be that far away, but still its better to buy yourself a new, modern, monitor, LCD/LED. Not just for Crossfire, but for all the time you spend at the PC, its way healthier for your eyes. Good luck.
  • OldJohn wrote: »
    I've got an Ati Hd 5570 video card and it has an option, Automatic Override, which sets the 75 hz to any application, no matter the default settings.

Your system is great, my question is, why not get a flat LCD monitor? Its not that expensive, it can run at higher Hz frequencies and its not that harmfull to the eyes.

And about the game being buggy, we all know thats the way it is. Its been over 1 year since they announced they were planning new resolutions, so far nothing. Im waiting for the 1280x1024 because my monitor is square 19". Probably with new resolutions they will fix the problems regarding Hz display.

Who knows, it may not be that far away, but still its better to buy yourself a new, modern, monitor, LCD/LED. Not just for Crossfire, but for all the time you spend at the PC, its way healthier for your eyes. Good luck.

Thanks for constructive thought put to my problem OldJohn.

I bought a high dollar LCD monitor from ACER last year for my other rig that
    blows this one away, lol. But seriously.. I do not like the LCD monitor for
    gaming. It's just not a comparable experience to me after playing on this CRT
    monitor and then go play on a LCD I will notice a considerable difference.
    There is nothing wrong with this monitor. I do not need to waste my cash.
    The problem is the game was changed in some fashion after the spring patch
    update that has disabled the ability of the game to utilize the same settings
    as my desktop now. If this nvidia driver had that option that your driver
    has, then I would use that and wouldn't be using this third party tool called
    refreshlock.

LOL. I will not buy a new monitor because this game of one of many that I
    have passed though has a bug even though I have spent enough money
    buying zp I could have bought several big screen lcd tv's by now...

It's very strange that not one support person can tell me where the settings
    are in the config files that hold the settings information and how to change
    that so to make crossfire use 75HZ. Instead they just close my ticket. It's
    a great support system. It really makes a guy think to go support a different
    game with his cash when you get some crappy support guy like that. Are
    they copy and past br's? Just saying.
  • I see. Well , they probably don't give a competent answer because they don't have one. From what i understand the developers of the game are not people from z8, but the support system is from z8, so they have no clue about these kinds of problems.

Maybe that section in Technical Support is just to submit bugs or faulty game issues, without expecting a solution from them? Weird anyhow.

Thinking about it, your problem is probably because they changed font or something in order to increase FPS. There is a thread here somewhere about changing some files and getting back the old fonts. I dont know if that will help in any way, but worth trying. Whats one more uninstall-install if things go wrong? :)
  • One of the first things I did was change the font type back to the old
    verdana. lol.

I read also this morning one of the Mods has stated that changing the font
    has little to no impact on game performance. Although some like GM Saidin are
    just leery about telling users it's ok to change it back because that is not the
    supported version now. I can tell no difference in performance myself with the
    new font or the old. I really don't see how the font would have anything to
    do with the refresh rate not being set by the game to use the desktop
    setting. lol. But anything is possible with this game...

And this is what the FAQ says about the support of the game.
    http://support.z8games.com/index.aspx?tb=z8&cid=2
    Scroll down to number 6 on the list under z8 games when you click on the support button at the top of any page in the website.
    "6. Support
    Access support topics on Z8Games features and services, as well as technical help for each game. If you have an issue that is not addressed in any help topic, you can submit a support ticket to a member of our technical team and they will get back to you with a solution right away."

This is the only support system I know of on this site at this page
    http://support.z8games.com/webform_new.aspx

You select the game first - crossfire,
    then you have 3 categories to choose from,
    1. Technical Support
    2. Hacking Report
    3. Complaints

I filed my help request under technical support.

Some goofus closed my other ticket and the reply said to please open another
    ticket if I still needed help.

Of course I do, because the problem is not resolved or fixed.

Here is what I wrote in the new ticket;
    "Yes. I require further assistance. Why did you close my ticket? This is not resolved.

The game will not run at 1024x768@75HZ without using that third party tool.

Have someone to read my ticket that knows what is going on. I am not the only one that is having this problem.
    Thanks. "

I don't know what else to do except keep hounding them until a competent
    person can or will step forward to fix this or make a reasonable comment
    about it from their end of the game.
  • People may not realize this but high quality crt's are actually more flexible w/ games and resolutions. LCD's have 1 resolution that is native, outside of that 1 resolution everything else is rendered to try to match what you want but its not native resolution so there is often little issues w/ the image and on bigger LCD's the hit detection can get a bit spotty in games like crossfire that don't support native HD.

I have a 34 LCD I occasionally play games on but generally I use my 24 inch Viewsonic graphics series high end crt. The bottom line: many of the best fps players swear by crt's because of the fact they render the image in the true resolution and not in a rendered state.
  • Woah lots of words here. Hope somebody helped you:D
  • tdotsmooth wrote: »
    People may not realize this but high quality crt's are actually more flexible w/ games and resolutions. LCD's have 1 resolution that is native, outside of that 1 resolution everything else is rendered to try to match what you want but its not native resolution so there is often little issues w/ the image and on bigger LCD's the hit detection can get a bit spotty in games like crossfire that don't support native HD.

I have a 34 LCD I occasionally play games on but generally I use my 24 inch Viewsonic graphics series high end crt. The bottom line: many of the best fps players swear by crt's because of the fact they render the image in the true resolution and not in a rendered state.

I imagine most of the kids that play this game didn't get onto the scene until
    the last few years and that's all they know is a lcd. LCD's were made to
    display numbers for pocket calculators only if you ask me, and certainly not
    for high end gear capable of pushing over 24 FPS. lol

An lcd might look good in a dark room playing a 24 fps movie, but I prefer to
    be in a well lit room with a a good CRT capable of handling the fps I want to
    play with. From the high dollar acer to this upper mid ranged monitor,
    I can certainly see the detail in much more clarity and moving objects much
    more crisp on this crt. (if the game will only initialize with 75HZ) omg, so sad.
  • holy sht.
    pm CyberCatUK
    Best techie person on the forums (other than greycloak maybe)
  • ROFLwhat wrote: »
    holy sht.
    pm CyberCatUK
    Best techie person on the forums (other than greycloak maybe)

Ok, Thanks for the tip.

By the way, how do I go about sending a pm on this forum?

Thanks
  • Good to hear! This has been an interesting topic, especially LCD vs CRT debate. I never heard CRT was better for gaming, even if I had a CRT 15" for about 4 years. Thanks.
  • OldJohn wrote: »
    Good to hear! This has been an interesting topic, especially LCD vs CRT debate. I never heard CRT was better for gaming, even if I had a CRT 15" for about 4 years. Thanks.
    It is, if only due to the high refresh rate of CRTs. These days LCDs have refresh rates high enough to make the difference completely negligible (120Hz is high enough for most games for physic glitching/jumping and locking FPS in simo w/ the refresh rate). So LCDs win from a technical standpoint anymore.
    Respectfully,
    PROACEX1
  • if you didnt know, pros play on crt;p, and there are a lot of CRT gaming displays for sale online and near your store, go check before u say nonsense