Fullscreen Guide (Remove The Black Borders)

After seeing problems with people trying to run crossfire in fullscreen mode I decided to write a guide which may help in most circumstances.

The problem with full screen often occurs when running the game on a widescreen resolution such as 1366x768 which the game does not natively support. With this screen resolution the game can only be run at 1024x768 leaving black borders on each side of the screen.

This is caused by the graphics driver settings not by the game itself. The game simply displays how it is told to by the graphics settings.

I have provided instructions on how to set the correct settings for the 3 main graphics manufacturers, Nvidia, ATI and Intel. Check the option shown with a thick green border.

PLEASE NOTE: Your settings may vary from those listed below but, in most cases, you should find similar options. If you are missing the settings or the setting will not stay on full screen scaling, you should look for an updated graphics driver.

nVidia (Based on my 7950 GTX)
NOTE: This option only appears for my laptop display, not my external monitor. I have never had to change the settings for my external monitor as it always works full screen.
Right click the desktop and choose nVidia Control Panel.
Under Display, click Adjust desktop size and position.
Change the setting to nVidia Scaling and click apply/OK.

24bludz.jpg

ATI (Based on HD Radeon 4870)
Right click the desktop and choose Catalyst Control Center.
Look for Digital Panel > Attributes.
Under Image Scaling, select Scale image to full panel size, click apply/OK.

dokxth.gif

Intel Graphics (Based on Intel Series 4)
Right click the desktop and choose Graphics properties.
Under General Settings, look for the Scaling setting and change this to Scale Full Screen, click apply/OK.

jg7j9x.jpg

Finally, I would like to mention, if the game previously worked in full screen and after a Windows reinstall you do not have the options shown, it is likely you or your computer previously did a background driver update through windows update which then gave you the above options.

The basic graphics driver installed by the Windows installation often does not include all the settings relevant to your graphics card. So always look for a driver update after installing Windows.

Using the above guide I have solved the full screen issue on several systems using different graphics cards. So I know this does resolve it in many cases. Sorry if it does not fix your issue.

Hope this helps some people :)

Comments