April 29th, 2011

This date marks Showa day in Japan, a National Holiday and the start of their infamous Golden Week.

I had suggested this in an earlier thread but figured it would get more attention here:

On this date, make all sales proceeds from zp purchases within 3-4pm EST go directly to Japanese relief efforts.

This gives LOTS of time to advertise and get people ready, and the start/end times can be changed to what ever works best.

It's just one hour z8, let's make it happen.

Comments

• An hour isn't really a long time.

I might suggest a longer duration, but anything going to Japan is fine with me.
  • This date marks Showa day in Japan, a National Holiday and the start of their infamous Golden Week.

I had suggested this in an earlier thread but figured it would get more attention here:

On this date, make all sales proceeds from zp purchases within 3-4pm EST go directly to Japanese relief efforts.

This gives LOTS of time to advertise and get people ready, and the start/end times can be changed to what ever works best.

It's just one hour z8, let's make it happen.
    I would say about a day's worth
  • All the panda stuff are for Japan. But pandas are really only in CHINA. :D I might buy some stuff in that short period of time. =_=
  • It might only be for one hour, while I believe that it should be a full day, but there are a lot of people who would buy ZP if it went to Japan.

It might redeem this last patch a bit.
  • +1 for Japan.

They need our help more than anything right now.
  • M60Katzen wrote: »
    It might only be for one hour, while I believe that it should be a full day, but there are a lot of people who would buy ZP if it went to Japan.

It might redeem this last patch a bit.
    It wouldn't be economically plausible for a company to dedicate ALL their earnings for a whole day.

(Bump for Japan)
  • Mr_Shady wrote: »
    All the panda stuff are for Japan. But pandas are really only in CHINA. :D I might buy some stuff in that short period of time. =_=

1) Panda stuff is useless.
    2) Only 5% of the income on Panda stuff goes to Japan. If I want to help Japan, I will give my money to something that actually gets ALL the money I give to Japan.
    Giving 5% of income on useless, recently added items sounds more like "We want more money" than "We want to help Japan"...

+1 for the idea, but as mentioned, maybe a bit longer. (2-3 hours?)
  • Phillybear wrote: »
    2) Only 5% of the income on Panda stuff goes to Japan. If I want to help Japan, I will give my money to something that actually gets ALL the money I give to Japan.
    Giving 5% of income on useless, recently added items sounds more like "We want more money" than "We want to help Japan"...

I'm all for a longer duration, but it's all up to how long they want to keep it going.

The date, duration and start/finish times aren't set in stone.

I don't usually buy zp, but I would have no qualms with purchasing if I knew a good chunk of it was going to a good cause (social justification). I'm sure lots of people would feel the same.

With proper handling, they should see a huge boost in zp sales during this time, and while they wouldn't (read: shouldn't) make any profit from it this time around, this might create a new wave of repeat shoppers.

C'mon z8, impress us.
  • +1 to this idea as long as they marketed it well and did it during "peak" zp-buying hours.
  • TooLazyTo wrote: »
    +1 to this idea as long as they marketed it well and did it during "peak" zp-buying hours.
    Well if the advertised it enough I'm sure people would wait to buy it at that time (as long as it's not at 4am, for example >.>)
  • Well if the advertised it enough I'm sure people would wait to buy it at that time (as long as it's not at 4am, for example >.>)
    Yep, yep. I hope they make it happen.

It's 10%.

And I'm totally blown away by the negativity of the community.

We're trying to do something here to HELP the situation. I'm amazed at how many people are constantly trying to find the negative in everything.
  • I'm with Saidin, none of you here know how to run a business and you do realize 10% is pretty much a lot for a company like Z8Games. You guys are just too ignorant to actually think of that.
  • I'm with Saidin, none of you here know how to run a business and you do realize 10% is pretty much a lot for a company like Z8Games. You guys are just too ignorant to actually think of that.
    I, for one, have never said anything negative about the 10% they are giving to the Red Cross. In fact, I've commended them for doing so and I'll do so again. It was a great idea and very generous of them.

But I think Green_Ranger's idea is also a great one and I don't think that it would put z8games "under the table" if they implemented it.
  • [GM]Saidin wrote: »
    It's 10%.

We're trying to do something here to HELP the situation. I'm amazed at how many people are constantly trying to find the negative in everything.
    The vast majority (myself included) have clearly stated that this effort on your part to help was commendable and much appreciated.

If you take all these suggestions as negative, well I'm truly sorry for that. If anything, you should be happy you inspired many people to aim/work for a good cause. We're not looking at it badly, but considering some improvements that I honestly think are feasible.
    I'm with Saidin, none of you here know how to run a business and you do realize 10% is pretty much a lot for a company like Z8Games. You guys are just too ignorant to actually think of that.

You're right, it is. But it isn't 10% of everything either, just a limited number of items.

Again, to be clear, I have nothing against that. I just think that as a group we can do more.

As Munch said, I don't think this is something that would do z8 great harm (one of the reasons I mentioned limiting the time period to a single or a few hours only). A valid point of argument would be that people would just stop buying until that date, but how many people (if they were already intending on purchasing in the first place) would hold out over a month to purchase? I see this as a method to attract people that would not otherwise buy zp, and like I mentioned can create repeat buyers (once ya get a taste of the good stuff, it's hard to stop).
  • Agreed!

At least this sh!tty patch can help someone!
  • After some additional thought on this, I've thought up some more scenarios for your consideration:

To make this more palatable for Z8 as a sustainable company (completely understandable IMO, I wouldn't want to drive you guys out of business), would it be reasonable to make this a joint effort with a payment provider?

For example: All proceeds from ZP purchases made through Ultimate Game Card are donated. The "cost" of the donation would be proportionately split between Z8 and UGC. I will admit I am not completely "in the loop" as to how a company like UGC turns a profit on ZP sales, but I assume they take a percentage of the purchase for being the medium. Using them exclusively would likely (highly) increase their volume of "sales".
    It's 10%.

10% then, my bad. Let me explain my 'negativity' in this case: like I said before, when supporting something like Japan now, I want all of my money to actually go there, not 10%, not 50%, but the full 100%.
    Secondly, the action is on the panda-items, items that are (imo) less bought than ZP crates for example. So why not give it on the new ZP crates? I'm pretty sure that new ZP crates get bought most in the first days/weeks after the patch.
    About the use of 'useless' when talking about the panda stuff: it are items that will only modify the way my character will be seen in game. In RPGs I might be concerned with the way my character looks. In a game where I only see my character when I die, looks are just about the last thing I could care about.

I'm not saying it is BAD that Z8 is trying to help, I'm just pointing out to Mr_Shady that the way it is happening sends out mixed (if not wrong) signals. It's merely looks that I talk about: let's compare what you are doing with the idea of Green_Ranger. As it's hypothetical, we'll just take the amount of time that would bring as much ZP as you expect in a month of the panda items.
    Your signal: We give only a bit of your money and only on a few items, we keep all the rest.
    Greens signal: All your money goes straight to Japan for a short time, no matter what you spend the ZP on.
    Your result: X$ goes to Japan on 24th april.
    Greens result: X$ goes to Japan on 29th april. (although I'd prefer an earlier date for both)
    I know I'd rather be giving my money to someone giving Greens signal than to your current signal. The reasons for that can be seen above...
    And I'm also pretty sure that 2-3 hours of 0 income won't be killing z8.
    I'm with Saidin, none of you here know how to run a business and you do realize 10% is pretty much a lot for a company like Z8Games. You guys are just too ignorant to actually think of that.

Actually, I do know how to run a business. But we all know that my experience with businesses is completly useless. (like the fact that "green" and charity are excellent marketing techniques)
  • Power Ranger signals r kewl ;)

o-o I'm a marketing technique?

On a serious note: This isn't a "my idea is better than your idea" type of thing. In fact, I want you to keep yours going if possible, and (hopefully) do something along these lines as well. I would be hella proud if a local company (i.e Z8) went that extra mile to help those in need.
    Yea, I'm not sure where people got the notion that these two ideas/events had to be mutually exclusive.
    Japan now, I want all of my money to actually go there, not 10%, not 50%, but the full 100%.

No one is stopping you from donating your own money to the Red Cross then.
  • Weird, it says Saidin's post is the newest but I see Ranger's post as the newest one.

timewarp
  • Chromatix wrote: »
    Weird, it says Saidin's post is the newest but I see Ranger's post as the newest one.

timewarp
    I think that was why he was test posting...I guess it's not my computer then.

Apparently Green_Ranger always gets the last word ;)
    No one is stopping you from donating your own money to the Red Cross then.
    Odd, somehow I'm posting from the future... o-o

Anywho, "Those that truly want to help, already have". I've already donated to the Canadian Red Cross, and I would hardly doubt that Philly hasn't done something already. Either way, that isn't the point. The "difference" we can make pales in comparison to what a company like Z8 can do. It isn't even about you guys "donating" out of your pockets completely, but rather using your power to act as a catalyst to get others to pitch in.
  • TooLazyTo wrote: »
    Apparently Green_Ranger always gets the last word ;)
    Lawl so true o_o :p
  • Odd, somehow I'm posting from the future... o-o

Anywho, "Those that truly want to help, already have". I've already donated to the Canadian Red Cross, and I would hardly doubt that Philly hasn't done something already. Either way, that isn't the point. The "difference" we can make pales in comparison to what a company like Z8 can do. It isn't even about you guys "donating" out of your pockets completely, but rather using your power to act as a catalyst to get others to pitch in.

Well said.

As of right now I can't speak to being able to do anything specific as per your suggestion. For now this March 24-April 24 is something we wanted to do to be a part of the relief efforts for whats going on in Japan.

We're definitely glad that its appreciated!
  • Mr_Shady wrote: »
    All the panda stuff are for Japan. But pandas are really only in CHINA. :D I might buy some stuff in that short period of time. =_=

All the panda stuff are for Japan. But pandas are really only in CHINA. I might buy some stuff in that short period of time. =_= ²
    10% then, my bad. Let me explain my 'negativity' in this case: like I said before, when supporting something like Japan now, I want all of my money to actually go there, not 10%, not 50%, but the full 100%.
    Secondly, the action is on the panda-items, items that are (imo) less bought than ZP crates for example. So why not give it on the new ZP crates? I'm pretty sure that new ZP crates get bought most in the first days/weeks after the patch.
    About the use of 'useless' when talking about the panda stuff: it are items that will only modify the way my character will be seen in game. In RPGs I might be concerned with the way my character looks. In a game where I only see my character when I die, looks are just about the last thing I could care about.

I'm not saying it is BAD that Z8 is trying to help, I'm just pointing out to Mr_Shady that the way it is happening sends out mixed (if not wrong) signals. It's merely looks that I talk about: let's compare what you are doing with the idea of Green_Ranger. As it's hypothetical, we'll just take the amount of time that would bring as much ZP as you expect in a month of the panda items.
    Your signal: We give only a bit of your money and only on a few items, we keep all the rest.
    Greens signal: All your money goes straight to Japan for a short time, no matter what you spend the ZP on.
    Your result: X$ goes to Japan on 24th april.
    Greens result: X$ goes to Japan on 29th april. (although I'd prefer an earlier date for both)
    I know I'd rather be giving my money to someone giving Greens signal than to your current signal. The reasons for that can be seen above...
    And I'm also pretty sure that 2-3 hours of 0 income won't be killing z8.
    Power Ranger signals r kewl ;)
    Phillybear wrote: »

Actually, I do know how to run a business. But we all know that my experience with businesses is completly useless. (like the fact that "green" and charity are excellent marketing techniques)
    o-o I'm a marketing technique?

On a serious note: This isn't a "my idea is better than your idea" type of thing. In fact, I want you to keep yours going if possible, and (hopefully) do something along these lines as well. I would be hella proud if a local company (i.e Z8) went that extra mile to help those in need.
  • o-o I'm a marketing technique?

The more money for Japan, the better.

And yes, you are. Why do you think the Green Ranger is the coolest one?
    The more money for Japan, the better.

And yes, you are. Why do you think the Green Ranger is the coolest one?
    I thought it was because I was speshul...

(That's what my mommy tells me)