The Psycological Aspects of CrossFire

Hey,
over the time I've been playing CrossFire, or any game, I've noticed that a large percentage of the way I play is psychological. I've been playing CF for over 2 years (as well as other game for longer) and as i know more about the game, it affects if i play well, or not. So I've decided to share with the community, what i have learned about this game, and in general, with respect to the mind. This may seem obvious to most but it could also be an intriguing read. This is not a guide, its just something to read and think about, so to speak, no pun intended xD.

This is all my opinion, and you might not agree.

First off, by mind i don't mean game sense. Even though i agree it is important and has to do with the mind (naturally), it's not really what I'm talking about, as you will see.

Also, I'm not claiming to be anything like a "pro" or a "genius", i just want to show you what i think, and if someone has made something like this before, I'm sorry, i couldn't find it.

The first thing I'm going to talk about is "Convincing yourself". If you convince yourself of something then you will believe it, obviously. But what i mean is, when i first started playing this game, i had no problem with lag or anything like that because i didn't pay attention to it, and i did fine. If you tell yourself that you wont kill someone because they will just lag, then you won't have the right amount of confidence to do it, because you have CONVINCED yourself you can't. The same applies to someone being "better" than you. If you see their rank or K/D and you say "wow, hes good. He's going to roll me." Then he will, because you have convinced yourself that you won't be able to kill him, an you end up panicking.

Situation: You are about too turn the corner to long A in port, on T side. Your teammate goes ahead and gets picked off. This is what happens to me: I think, " oh no, this guys good...*rush*...*die*.

Another example of Convincing is when you play well one game with a certain gun, or sensitivity. I even find myself doing things that wouldn't help my game AT ALL just because that's how it was when i did well that one game, like the volume on a certain number (26 instead of 27) or a shirt i had on, as stupid as it sounds.

Think back, before someone told you the scar light was unfair or the m12s was unfair, did you think it was? I didn't. What about the xm8? or m4 custom? Everyone used them at one point until they were told it was "bad". Same goes for guns people say are "good".

Now I'm going to talk about getting mad. haha not like umaD? i mean getting frustrated. When you die, it's annoying. So you get frustrated. if it happens a few times in a row, you get even more mad at yourself and it hurts your game for a while. This results in "QQ" and blaming your badness on other things (or people) *cough Try harding *cough.

If you have read malte[gr]'s ak guide he says something about being in a slump, this is a good example of what i mean.

Another thing is being under pressure, if your scared to take on three people, you will probably loose the clutch, if your confident, you have a better chance.

Gear. Now, i know that it gives you a big advantage to have the latest gaming gear, like mouses and video cards, and I'm not a computer wiz but in my opinion, once you get a point of comfort, the newest and so called best things aren't really necessary, and it fits in with the gun stuff too. Lots of people play really well with low end gear, but, again, you convince yourself that you won't be good until you have the new, best gear. I've fallen into this trap before.

The last part is a short one. It's about being tired or well rested. Everyone is different, i play well after a good nights sleep, but i know people who play really good late at night. Theoretically, it works both ways because you could be tired and not over think things, or you can be well rested and relaxed. Personally i get frustrated easily when tired.

So that's it for now, There are A LOT more things i could say, but that's is all I'm going to put into this at the moment. Feel free to add anything you feel necessary. And remember this can be applied to any game, or even real life in some ways, if you modify it a bit haha.

Thanks for reading.

-Tim

Comments

• I won't say too long, ill read it later ........
    Too long, ill never read it. ;D

jk

I agree with you, even on the shirt thing. LOL . I do that too. >.>
  • Situation: You are about too turn the corner to long A in port, on T side. Your teammate goes ahead and gets picked off. This is what happens to me: I think, " oh no, this guys good...*rush*...*die*.

Gear. Now, i know that it gives you a big advantage to have the latest gaming gear, like mouses and video cards, and I'm not a computer wiz but in my opinion, once you get a point of comfort, the newest and so called best things aren't really necessary, and it fits in with the gun stuff too. Lots of people play really well with low end gear, but, again, you convince yourself that you won't be good until you have the new, best gear. I've fallen into this trap before.

Thanks for reading.

-Tim

First off, TL;DR

Second, if you just saw your friend get picked off at long on port... why would you rush out. Turn around, and take the long way herp derp.

Third, Wut? I never heard of that. I just use whatever the hell works for me, the "better" guns can go **** themselves. In the anus.
  • zephyr199 wrote: »
    First off, TL;DR

Second, if you just saw your friend get picked off at long on port... why would you rush out. Turn around, and take the long way herp derp.

Third, Wut? I never heard of that. I just use whatever the hell works for me, the "better" guns can go **** themselves. In the anus.
    Did you read it all? i said several times it was my opinion, and you might not agree with it.
  • Too long, i'll read it later
    i really shouldn't have put that.
  • If you read point one, i specifically put, TL;DR. Too Long; Didn't Read.
  • zephyr199 wrote: »
    If you read point one, i specifically put, TL;DR. Too Long; Didn't Read.
    Sorry im not up to date on the latest lingo.
  • Mmmmm, I agree on the pyschology thing. Also on the comfort, I have a little routine I used to go through before Wogl matches.

I also agree on the Rig thoughts, I got a $2 mouse a couple months back coming from touchpad and I thought i'd be x50 better. Obviously it helped a ton, but for the basic angles, flanks and general gamesense frags I get - I wouldnt say i've become insane or anything. Also, blaming your rig or the game is the easy option in putting your hands up and saying 'i failed there' or 'i was really dumb there'. Better to learn from mistakes instead of making yourself believe it was the games fault.
  • RuSTalt wrote: »
    Mmmmm, I agree on the pyschology thing. Also on the comfort, I have a little routine I used to go through before Wogl matches.

I also agree on the Rig thoughts, I got a $2 mouse a couple months back coming from touchpad and I thought i'd be x50 better. Obviously it helped a ton, but for the basic angles, flanks and general gamesense frags I get - I wouldnt say i've become insane or anything. Also, blaming your rig or the game is the easy option in putting your hands up and saying 'i failed there' or 'i was really dumb there'. Better to learn from mistakes instead of making yourself believe it was the games fault.
    haha thanks, and i think you might have meant $200?
  • I agree with this.
    CF has psychology to it, though we don't think about it while we play. I've realized that I correct myself when I worry that I won't be able to kill someone. I sit there and tell myself, "No why are you thinking like that? You CAN kill him and you WILL kill him." and often enough I can actually kill the guy! It doesn't always work because one player started shooting sooner than the other or one or the other is aiming just a tad better, but I feel like it helps.

I've noticed a couple of other things myself when I'm playing as well.
    1. When someone calls out "hack" on me...I don't really get ticked off but end up a little flustered and that actually causes my score to run terribly for the rest of that game or even into the next one. Calling me a hacker is like telling me I'm a complete liar and that doesn't float well with me, it really irritates me since I try not to lie(though of course who doesn't white-lie to avoid dealing with some people?) So in the end, it affects me psychologically and I just can't play right after that.

2. If the round starts out bad and I don't relax and convince myself its just a bad start the whole round will be a bad one. Sometimes it doesn't work though, that may be because of lack of sleep or prior stress bothering me.
  • Hey,
    over the time I've been playing CrossFire, or any game, I've noticed that a large percentage of the way I play is psychological. I've been playing CF for over 2 years (as well as other game for longer) and as i know more about the game, it affects if i play well, or not. So I've decided to share with the community, what i have learned about this game, and in general, with respect to the mind. This may seem obvious to most but it could also be an intriguing read. This is not a guide, its just something to read and think about, so to speak, no pun intended xD.

This is all my opinion, and you might not agree.

First off, by mind i don't mean game sense. Even though i agree it is important and has to do with the mind (naturally), it's not really what I'm talking about, as you will see.

Also, I'm not claiming to be anything like a "pro" or a "genius", i just want to show you what i think, and if someone has made something like this before, I'm sorry, i couldn't find it.

The first thing I'm going to talk about is "Convincing yourself". If you convince yourself of something then you will believe it, obviously. But what i mean is, when i first started playing this game, i had no problem with lag or anything like that because i didn't pay attention to it, and i did fine. If you tell yourself that you wont kill someone because they will just lag, then you won't have the right amount of confidence to do it, because you have CONVINCED yourself you can't. The same applies to someone being "better" than you. If you see their rank or K/D and you say "wow, hes good. He's going to roll me." Then he will, because you have convinced yourself that you won't be able to kill him, an you end up panicking.

Situation: You are about too turn the corner to long A in port, on T side. Your teammate goes ahead and gets picked off. This is what happens to me: I think, " oh no, this guys good...*rush*...*die*.

Another example of Convincing is when you play well one game with a certain gun, or sensitivity. I even find myself doing things that wouldn't help my game AT ALL just because that's how it was when i did well that one game, like the volume on a certain number (26 instead of 27) or a shirt i had on, as stupid as it sounds.

Think back, before someone told you the scar light was unfair or the m12s was unfair, did you think it was? I didn't. What about the xm8? or m4 custom? Everyone used them at one point until they were told it was "bad". Same goes for guns people say are "good".

Now I'm going to talk about getting mad. haha not like umaD? i mean getting frustrated. When you die, it's annoying. So you get frustrated. if it happens a few times in a row, you get even more mad at yourself and it hurts your game for a while. This results in "QQ" and blaming your badness on other things (or people) *cough Try harding *cough.

If you have read malte[gr]'s ak guide he says something about being in a slump, this is a good example of what i mean.

Another thing is being under pressure, if your scared to take on three people, you will probably loose the clutch, if your confident, you have a better chance.

The last part is a short one. It's about being tired or well rested. Everyone is different, i play well after a good nights sleep, but i know people who play really good late at night. Theoretically, it works both ways because you could be tired and not over think things, or you can be well rested and relaxed. Personally i get frustrated easily when tired.

So that's it for now, There are A LOT more things i could say, but that's is all I'm going to put into this at the moment. Feel free to add anything you feel necessary. And remember this can be applied to any game, or even real life in some ways, if you modify it a bit haha.

Thanks for reading.

-Tim

Right on.
  • Placebo/Pavlov.
    There, summarized your thread.
  • You kinda repeat the same things over and over.
    "Have confidence" "believe" "keep trying" etc,
  • I dissagree with the "Fear" aspect in clutch. For me its the opposite. If Im stressed, then I am more careful....

but other than that, I see everything said to be in compliance with my views :P
  • These are some good things to point out. It's like being OCD about little things like the angle of your mousepad or the position of your chair. I'm like that^^
  • It all breaks down into a needless, re**rded clichéd version of Murphy's Law or obsessive compulsive disorders/insecurities; affecting probable outcomes with the power of the prefrontal cortex or respective mind. Or better yet, a waste of forum bandwidth =D
  • Phillybear wrote: »
    Placebo/Pavlov.
    There, summarized your thread.
    Thanks for summarizing his thread. Now all the trolls don't have to waste time copy pasting TL;DR.
    But yea...
    Not like I didn't already know about this thanks to a little thing known as game theory, and the rest due to human conditioning theories.
    Pretty basic, logical and common sense stuff if a person sits down to think about something.
    Good read though, I think people with little commons sense will have a eureka moment.
    Or if they've done competitive gaming like I have already, they'll be like...this is oversimplified. Lol.:D
    I like it though, so as I've said, good read.
    Respectfully,
    PROACEX1
  • haha thanks, and i think you might have meant $200?

my mouse isnt even laser or w/e it is. Sorry, my IT talk is bad.
    Its barely a step up from touchpad xD
  • PROACEX1 wrote: »
    Thanks for summarizing his thread. Now all the trolls don't have to waste time copy pasting TL;DR.
    But yea...
    Not like I didn't already know about this thanks to a little thing known as game theory, and the rest due to human conditioning theories.
    Pretty basic, logical and common sense stuff if a person sits down to think about something.
    Good read though, I think people with little commons sense will have a eureka moment.
    Or if they've done competitive gaming like I have already, they'll be like...this is oversimplified. Lol.:D
    I like it though, so as I've said, good read.
    Respectfully,
    PROACEX1

i just realised i wish my mouse that had that little ball under ity back, i felt so much more confortable with it playing :c
    i dun feel the confort in playing with laser/optic mouses, since they give you no "feeling" about the movements you do, so i kinda get lost.

But well, this is like a placebo, everitime i'm about to say "look, i gotta pwn some noobs today"i just watch blindrob's montages, or something else, i get inspired, get over my high ping and pwn some serious ass, with every kind of gun, since the almost OP beretta ar-70 to my temp mp7 :3

the human mind can do so many things over it's body, i wish i could have a better control over it <3

respectfully 74k37h47 (copying much from proace xD)
  • I agree with everything u said.
    Many of my friends see a major or a captain and they all go like: "OMG we are going to get our a** kicked!" It´s lame...
  • Thanks for taking the time to write this down, a meaningful thread for a change ;)
  • I agree with everything u said.
    Many of my friends see a major or a captain and they all go like: "OMG we are going to get our a** kicked!" It´s lame...

i don't even care about ranks anymore after i played with phoenix
    ._.
    he fking sucked so badly with it's m4a1-cc xD
    killed him until he RQ'ed :3
  • huh? what u talking about. never maked some rank-related-decision. i play for my sake ... probably i'm more teamplayer than skilled-player. i just love mmorpg and stategie games. when u played cossacks(btw) u will notice lacks of ur team spread and will try to fill it. another point Q.Qing*ame = nolife. or how can u explain why ppl Q.Q in front of monitor by watching some frames on screen. community should get more social and stop Q.Q about spop / sl / m12 /flashbang / campers / rusher / farmer / skylooking trolls /endless list. when u really enjoy a game it will not make any difference against wich ranks/players u gambling.

but really oneshooter is an exclude. *..*
  • sh1mush1 wrote: »
    huh? what u talking about. never maked some rank-related-decision. i play for my sake ... probably i'm more teamplayer than skilled-player. i just love mmorpg and stategie games. when u played cossacks(btw) u will notice lacks of ur team spread and will try to fill it. another point Q.Qing*ame = nolife. or how can u explain why ppl Q.Q in front of monitor by watching some frames on screen. community should get more social and stop Q.Q about spop / sl / m12 /flashbang / campers / rusher / farmer / skylooking trolls /endless list. when u really enjoy a game it will not make any difference against wich ranks/players u gambling.

but really oneshooter is an exclude. *..*
    ... You use an m12s don't you.