Custom Player Ban List

After some games of hero mode, where hackers are abundant I came up with a idea on how to fix the problem, by giving the room hosts the power, but not in a way that permits abuse.

THE CUSTOM BAN LIST!
Adding a player to the list will keep the person from EVER joining any room you host, and ONLY ROOMS that YOU HOST. Putting someone on your ban list either through a right click in the lobby or a simple command like /ban alanim, won't instantly boot the player from your game, that'll still require a kick, or for them to exit your lobby but once they're on that list, they'll be unable to join any game you host ever again.

Don't worry though, if you make a mistake with who you banned you can easily /unban alanim for example.

PROS
Allows permanent banning of hackers, glitchers, spammers, and laggers from your rooms.
Gives party room hosts more powers, while being free of abuse.
Promotes hosting of rooms.
Could possibly be a deterrent to hackers over the long run.
Puts less strain on z8games/xtrap, while still pleasing the community.

CONS
None that I can think of.

If anyone can think of a way this could be abused, please tell me :), but so far I think this is a really good idea.

Comments

• Most games deal with hackers by using server admins to kick and ban them in game. This game does not have that ability but could come close by giving more power to room hosts. I would generally support any idea that gives more power to those hosting a room in CF.
  • BraCF wrote: »
    for ribbon

That ribbon doesn't exist anymore, plus you're just going to get banned for spamming, thus losing a ribbon.
  • mxr229 wrote: »
    Most games deal with hackers by using server admins to kick and ban them in game. This game does not have that ability but could come close by giving more power to room hosts. I would generally support any idea that gives more power to those hosting a room in CF.

Giving more power to room hosts is giving more power to random noobs. Veterian players like myself would never get to play just because of my rank and i have good game, some bad but who doesnt lol...
  • I was kicked more by room host than vote kick.

Last night, I entered a room which is still waiting (I think last game just finish), and got kicked by host. So what is the reason?

I would suggest z8 record the best score, and allow a player to enter a room in which the host has similar best score. See, if someone has made like 1000:3 in hero mode some time, he should play with someone has made 500:12, not the normal player whose best is 50:10, right? So, if that score apparently need hack, then hack will have to play with hack, and we just have no chance to play with them, because we are too noob for them.

You once give power to host to ban, as Prodiac says, that will be totally random.
  • People above me don't get the point..

It's just for you to use

It's like the block option!
    You don't wanna chat with a person or he keeps on spamming you
    but than for hackers

you add him to your personal no-enter list..
    You make a room and than the hacker
    can't enter the room you made

if you leave and and someone else gets the Host than people on his ban list can't join if the are already in the room than to bad for ya..!

This is a good idea and abusing this? no no there is no way you can abuse this..
    All you can do is ruin your own gameplay.. people could care less and move on to the next room
  • Too much hard work, which is a definite con. Others I will think off after I edit post.
  • TomTomDam wrote: »
    Too much hard work, which is a definite con. Others I will think off after I edit post.

Honestly, this doesn't require that much work.
    People above me don't get the point..

It's just for you to use

but than for hackers

if you leave and and someone else gets the Host than people on his ban list can't join if the are already in the room than to bad for ya..!

This is a good idea and abusing this? no no there is no way you can abuse this..
    All you can do is ruin your own gameplay.. people could care less and move on to the next room

Also, thanks for getting the point, people can only ruin their own gameplay. If they try and abuse this power because it's physically impossible to do so.

I believe alot of the more responsible players would love this update, because it could solve alot of problems. Also, if you keep getting kicked etc. then you could start banning all those hackusator's from YOUR rooms, and stop them from playing. Which could allow you to play with more skilled players.

Also, if you're a player who makes constant rooms, which are almost hack free, people will FLOCK to your rooms, because ALMOST everyone hates hackers, and if they support hackers? Go ahead and ban them. really, this power is IMPOSSIBLE to abuse.

*edit* If you couple this power with rank specific servers, a room host could literally keep roughly 90% of the hackers out of their rooms, in no-time at all(assuming new ones log in, which they do).
  • People above me don't get the point..

It's just for you to use

but than for hackers

I know what he or you want to say. But do you understand what we are trying to say?

That is equavilent to ban players from a room based on 1 players judgement. If you have experience being kicked by vote kick, you might complain, but think of being banned by someone in a monopoly way. And we know host can be normal players, can make wrong judgement, I was kicked a lot by room host, more than by vote kick. So that is why I think the idea is dangerous.

The suggestion is not bad if it can improved a little. Maybe we should be able to issue a warning to watch after the game for a player, the players in other rooms will get the warning and watch him, and if enough people think he hacks, a report can be created. Or maybe we should have an organization of anti-hack, who share same set of list and update it based on vote base. That will greatly reduce the personal bias on one problem.

But, I think record players' best record in different game type, and don't allow people with kill rate greater than 15/minute would be enough to block some hacker.
  • Alleth wrote: »
    Honestly, this doesn't require that much work.

They need to save a list for each player. And this list can be very long. That might be much more information to save than currently they have.

Maybe one clan can share a list is better. And the clan must participate an anti-hack program. Clan must be responsible for complain for improperly add player to list.
  • GhostArch wrote: »
    They need to save a list for each player. And this list can be very long. That might be much more information to save than currently they have.

Maybe one clan can share a list is better. And the clan must participate an anti-hack program. Clan must be responsible for complain for improperly add player to list.

Lists are stored on the hard drive, on their own server. These servers have more then enough space to carry simple text files, for hundreds of thousands of people.

Also, if the room host has kicked you before, would you "really" want to play with them again? You have to take into account by giving power to room hosts(which CANNOT be abused) you open a gate-way to make dedicated room hosts, who are trust-worthy and judge fairly. If you get banned from a ton of random-no-names who kick for no-reason/being idiots, you benefit from it in the long run.

If you can't get a game(which I highly doubt will ever happen to anyone but hackers) make your own room, hopefully through all your game experience you'll have racked up a pretty good /ban list yourself. Allowing you to make fun-filled games, without the worries of all the problems that happened to you before.
  • I feel bad for the CF community. There are so many good ideas in this forum but none are likely to ever get accepted in-game. Because that's how CF is. They have never listened to the community and probably never will. So there's no point in making posts like this.

/request close
  • I feel bad for the CF community. There are so many good ideas in this forum but none are likely to ever get accepted in-game. Because that's how CF is. They have never listened to the community and probably never will. So there's no point in making posts like this.

/request close

Honestly, you don't have to be so negative(and stop spamming everyone's threads please, it's not very polite.)

I'm hopeful that, if a suggestion is liked enough, and good enough, that the developers might just listen and add/request it to be added to the game, and I think this is one of them.
    Lists are stored on the hard drive, on their own server. These servers have more then enough space to carry simple text files, for hundreds of thousands of people.

Yes, in database. They need a memo field. And if every player has a list of 64 players averagely, that will be quite some. Remember, the room has to load these from server.
    Alleth wrote: »
    Also, if the room host has kicked you before, would you "really" want to play with them again? You have to take into account by giving power to room hosts(which CANNOT be abused) you open a gate-way to make dedicated room hosts, who are trust-worthy and judge fairly. If you get banned from a ton of random-no-names who kick for no-reason/being idiots, you benefit from it in the long run.

What I found is, I could be a host too. So the host who kicked is pretty much random. Next time I enter the same room and question why I got kicked, they don't know what I am talking about -- you know what I mean.

Normally when get vote kicked, I am ok. But get kicked by host is different ---- I never hack or glitch, I seldom chat; and I got kicked without any explanation for any reason.

But if I know the host is really who use his own computer to host, it is forgivable. Because it is your own server, you can decide. But for the game host that randomly inherited, no way. ---- Here I make it clear, I am a pub player, so I have my concern.

But still, it seems to me a third party program should be used (maybe z8 can make one and release). Because the game is really hosted in your local, so just use your local settings. But consider that case they randomly choose host, say, the old host allow me to play, but when he left, the new host might have me banned. That is unreasonable.
  • You're right that if the host leaves, then it's basically randomly decided, but here's the thing, if the person who gets the "room leader" has you on their ban list, you WILL NOT be booted from the game, they will still have to "vote kick" you from the game.
  • Prodiac wrote: »
    Giving more power to room hosts is giving more power to random noobs. Veterian players like myself would never get to play just because of my rank and i have good game, some bad but who doesnt lol...

This of course is true. At the very least this suggestion would at least need to come with some sort of rating system for room hosts so that you could find a room hosted by someone good. It might also be an interesting idea to make the power of room host a privilege not granted to everyone equally.
    This of course is true. At the very least this suggestion would at least need to come with some sort of rating system for room hosts so that you could find a room hosted by someone good. It might also be an interesting idea to make the power of room host a privilege not granted to everyone equally.

Honestly, now that I think about it, I don't agree with using anyone but the original hosts ban list, just for stability's sake.

Plus it would circumvent most of the issues you guys are saying.
    You're right that if the host leaves, then it's basically randomly decided, but here's the thing, if the person who gets the "room leader" has you on their ban list, you WILL NOT be booted from the game, they will still have to "vote kick" you from the game.

So the suggestion should be like this:

Z8 games should add a function so that when a host start a new room, it can load a ban list. This ban list would not change once the room set up (it is on host side). So the change of room host would not involve any transition.

Now it makes sense. And I think it is a good one.

And the rating system for the pub room is also a good one. We should not randomly choose host.
  • I like this idea. I started a room to play HM Tranquility and then Research Facility today, and about 10 minutes into the RF map a hacker joined. It feels even worse to have a hacker join when it's YOUR game being hosted because you're just powerless against them. It'd be nice to have some kind of way to stop them ingame; reporting is too late as the damage is already done (ie it kills any real interest in playing the game for a bit)
  • Jblade356 wrote: »
    I like this idea. I started a room to play HM Tranquility and then Research Facility today, and about 10 minutes into the RF map a hacker joined. It feels even worse to have a hacker join when it's YOUR game being hosted because you're just powerless against them. It'd be nice to have some kind of way to stop them ingame; reporting is too late as the damage is already done (ie it kills any real interest in playing the game for a bit)

Sorry just one question out of topic.

I notice that when the last player left a room, the room is not listed any more. Does it auto terminated?

Then there is some host who would not start a game and keeps shopping, till every lost patience and left, and he would have to leave. Did he efficiently get rid of a room?

I know a real host might choose to quit, and everyone in the room will see some message like room is full.
  • GhostArch wrote: »
    Sorry just one question out of topic.

I notice that when the last player left a room, the room is not listed any more. Does it auto terminated?

Then there is some host who would not start a game and keeps shopping, till every lost patience and left, and he would have to leave. Did he efficiently get rid of a room?

I know a real host might choose to quit, and everyone in the room will see some message like room is full.

When the last player quits then yes, the room terminates.
    Jblade356 wrote: »
    I like this idea. I started a room to play HM Tranquility and then Research Facility today, and about 10 minutes into the RF map a hacker joined. It feels even worse to have a hacker join when it's YOUR game being hosted because you're just powerless against them. It'd be nice to have some kind of way to stop them ingame; reporting is too late as the damage is already done (ie it kills any real interest in playing the game for a bit)

That's what this suggestion is aimed towards, helping stop hackers/glitchers from entering your rooms, honestly if this was implemented and the community used it to it's full extent, it could potentially stop people from wanting to hack.
    That's what this suggestion is aimed towards, helping stop hackers/glitchers from entering your rooms, honestly if this was implemented and the community used it to it's full extent, it could potentially stop people from wanting to hack.

It would be a lot more like playing a "real" game online where you find a server hosted by a person of clan that you like and trust where they kick the hackers, laggers, and annoying BS noobs.
    After some games of hero mode, where hackers are abundant I came up with a idea on how to fix the problem, by giving the room hosts the power, but not in a way that permits abuse.

THE CUSTOM BAN LIST!
    Adding a player to the list will keep the person from EVER joining any room you host, and ONLY ROOMS that YOU HOST. Putting someone on your ban list either through a right click in the lobby or a simple command like /ban alanim, won't instantly boot the player from your game, that'll still require a kick, or for them to exit your lobby but once they're on that list, they'll be unable to join any game you host ever again.

Don't worry though, if you make a mistake with who you banned you can easily /unban alanim for example.

PROS
    Allows permanent banning of hackers, glitchers, spammers, and laggers from your rooms.

CONS

If anyone can think of a way this could be abused, please tell me :), but so far I think this is a really good idea.

might work out .. who knows .. good idea

anyway i got kicked from 8 rooms in SND for having a score above 40 :/
  • Fourtee wrote: »
    might work out .. who knows .. good idea

anyway i got kicked from 8 rooms in SND for having a score above 40 :/

Thus the need to have a rating system for room hosts. Hosting a room would become a responsibility that could be abused.
    Thus the need to have a rating system for room hosts. Hosting a room would become a responsibility that could be abused.

this power can't be abused, because even if you're in a game, if they do /ban *username* you won't be booted from the game, you'd still have to be vote kicked.

This would be post-active protection.

Also maybes I'm just lucky but normally it isn't the party leader that's booting me, It's either some random or some friend of a person on the other team. From what I've seen the party leaders are normally good players/don't scream hacks so easily. Then again, I've also had times where the leaders can be really really bad players, and scream ha.cks at everyone. if they decided to /ban all the players in his room, he'd be the one suffering, not you. Since he'd have a harder time filling his lobby(due to his mass un-justified room banning) but atleast those player could finish their match before this took effect.
  • I could see a bunch of br's just banning people on the spot for dieing too much from one person, but if you have a rating system, that could work out well.

THE CUSTOM BAN LIST!

PROS

CONS

OMG mannn!!!
  • I could see a bunch of br's just banning people on the spot for dieing too much from one person, but if you have a rating system, that could work out well.

honestly, who cares if you get banned on the spot? You'll still have the same chance of finishing your current game(they already kick you in almost every game, so it's not really a down side). Now, on the plus side, you'll never have to play with them again, thus avoiding a potential future kick, and each kick is wasted time. Thus by them banning you, YOU COME OUT AHEAD.

Think about it.
  • well the host might make a mistake and ban a pro because of rage, and u forgot to include a way to unban the person from the list, just a heads-up
  • well the host might make a mistake and ban a pro because of rage, and u forgot to include a way to unban the person from the list, just a heads-up

I did not miss the /unban feature, I'm certain I added it in the OP, and yeah, that could happen(and will), but that's what the /unban feature is for!

From the OP

"Don't worry though, if you make a mistake with who you banned you can easily /unban alanim for example."