I love this game, but they HAVE to address the hacking!

I won't go into lengthy complaints about the constant hacks that seem to persist in this game despite patches. But I would really like to find out if the developers are willing to work with the gamers themselves to find new ways to eradicate people who hack. This game has been online for a number of years and the current methods in place to deter hackers are not working, it's time for the developers to consider new ways to address this issue.

It might be a good idea to hold a contest to see which player can come up with a better solution to IDing and banning players who hack. Maybe the winner can be awarded ZP.

Comments

• An XTrap update just came out. That might address your issue.
  • the xtrap update as well as just common sense comes into it too. go play in not much a populated server. like myself, i play in us west 1 & echo8. if there's hackers in there, they usually get kicked due to all the decent people in there.
  • Nope, patch did nothing. Still one shotters everywhere. Way to go. Game is basically unplayable at this point.
  • Drade wrote: »
    Nope, patch did nothing. Still one shotters everywhere. Way to go. Game is basically unplayable at this point.

Unplayable was when gameguard was here...not this. Not good but not even close to 1 year ago.
  • Stee1Golem wrote: »
    I won't go into lengthy complaints about the constant hacks that seem to persist in this game despite patches. But I would really like to find out if the developers are willing to work with the gamers themselves to find new ways to eradicate people who hack. This game has been online for a number of years and the current methods in place to deter hackers are not working, it's time for the developers to consider new ways to address this issue.

It might be a good idea to hold a contest to see which player can come up with a better solution to IDing and banning players who hack. Maybe the winner can be awarded ZP.

How many times do I have to say it.
    Block all new registrations from ANY free email accounts.

But NO ONE wants to take my advice.
    And then people keep *****ing about the hacking problem.
    *FACEPALM*

If you guys want 90% of the hacking to go away, then you need to block free email registration. Most of these kids will have NO clue what to do if they can't register.

If I were making a F2P game, the first thing I would do is block all free email registration and verify manually any registrants (to check for previous bans, and whether an email is ISP provided or mass registration).

Guys, you can NOT have your cake and eat it too.
    Didn't your parents teach you this?
    If you want repeat hackers blocked, you have to do something that will cause you some minor inconveniences.

And NO WHERE did I say that EXISTING accounts with free email addresses would be blocked, did I?
  • How many times do I have to say it.
    Block all new registrations from ANY free email accounts.

But NO ONE wants to take my advice.
    And then people keep *****ing about the hacking problem.
    *FACEPALM*

If you guys want 90% of the hacking to go away, then you need to block free email registration. Most of these kids will have NO clue what to do if they can't register.

If I were making a F2P game, the first thing I would do is block all free email registration and verify manually any registrants (to check for previous bans, and whether an email is ISP provided or mass registration).

Guys, you can NOT have your cake and eat it too.
    Didn't your parents teach you this?
    If you want repeat hackers blocked, you have to do something that will cause you some minor inconveniences.

And NO WHERE did I say that EXISTING accounts with free email addresses would be blocked, did I?

I would say most people wouldn't mind this idea of trading up the possibility of new alternate accounts if it means that hackers are unable to make new accounts to hack on. It is actually a really good idea as it would allow the team who take cares of the review to actually take time going through each each knowing there won't be new hackers (or should I say new accounts, old hackers). I bet this would even be beneficial if it was just for a set period of time. That is without letting the public know so those hackers don't just wait until after said date to come back from their break and start hacking again. Even with all that said, I don't think z8 would even think of this as an option since it would possibly prevent new source of income (those legit new people that would like to start playing this game).

Anyways, who here mentioned that there was a new xtrap patch today? I just got out of my first game (prison tdm trying to do mission) with someone speeding around, aimbotting with an awm-camo -_-.
  • I know. I mentioned this idea originally WAY back in 2007, as a way for Nexon to stop hackers from reinfiltrating Maplestory. The thing is, more than half of the F2P gaming population uses free email addresses, AND registers behind their parents' backs. I know plenty of kids who sneak on to play, when they're not supposed to be allowed on.

I guess I can relate to the "loss of income" theory. But this is really a moot point: kids simply don't want to ask their parents to use their email address to register for a game. As they'll be afraid they won't be allowed to. It's not like I LIKE the idea of blocking free unlimited spawning email providers, but there has yet to be ANY working alternative.

And the closest thing we have to this, is Asiasoft's "Korean SSN" system. And that works, and works well; the hacking situation is FAR less severe than it is here. So there's a proven track record of such draconian measures being effective.

Plus, if 90% of the hackers are permanently gone, the GMs will have FAR less work to do, which will lighten their caseloads, which means they can work harder and more precisely on the remaining 10%, and use the rest of the time on cool stuff like events and in game stuff.

I feel bad for anyone working in support right now. I hope they are getting paid good money...having to review hacker tapes 24 hours a day and being backlogged by having too many being submitted, is just torture....
  • Unplayable was when gameguard was here...not this. Not good but not even close to 1 year ago.

I was here for that too, it was pretty close to this bad. I've been playing for about an hour since the patch, and there has been a one shotter in at -least- 50% of my games. Probably more. And some very questionable people, to boot. I'm not the guy to randomly accuse every person better than me of hacking, but when I see a guy stare at the floor for 30 seconds, then run into a wall for another 15, then run around a corner spraying directly at me and get three headshots, I get suspicious.

I dunno if its my paranoia, or the whole game getting better (I honestly doubt that one...) but it really feels like everybody knows where I am at all times. People that, just by their movements and gun control (ie, running around like morons full auto) are complete idiots. It doesn't help that I "know" there are so many hackers running around, it just makes me suspect everyone, even when I know they aren't.

My replay directory is FULL of people blatantly hacking. Am I supposed to have to waste my own time, reporting this huge list of people, when I know that even if they "do" get banned, it will either be temporary or theyll make a new account? I honestly don't even bother anymore unless they're a staff sergeant or higher. There is no point.
  • I feel bad for anyone working in support right now. I hope they are getting paid good money...having to review hacker tapes 24 hours a day and being backlogged by having too many being submitted, is just torture....

I completely agree. I submit only high ranked replays of very blatant hacks now. I feel bad for the gm's. I think it's a mindset thing too. There are SO many hackers right now everybody thinks everybody else is hacking. If seeing a hacker was a once in a great while thing, the MASSIVE amount of false positives would drop drastically also.
  • s7yx wrote: »
    the xtrap update as well as just common sense comes into it too. go play in not much a populated server. like myself, i play in us west 1 & echo8. if there's hackers in there, they usually get kicked due to all the decent people in there.

Decent people in Echo 8? uMad /b/ro? (4chan ftw). Echo 8 has the worst d-o-u-c-h-e bags in CF. I used to hate on BRs but I realized they are fine. I play in Delta 9!!!! With a couple or more BR friends and I'm getting called the BR friend there. Just be nice to BRs and you can get a long like I did. It is not hard.