Understanding "Community"

First of all, as with all my threads, if you are not going to make an attempt to read all of the information and get something out of it do not even bother. Hit the back button and don't even waste your time posting.
tl;dr

Don't waste my time with this. Just don't post. It's very simple.

Now onto the show :D
Before we can attempt to improve this community, I think it's crucial to understand the concept of a community before this can happen. A community is going to always be in one or more of the following stages with the exception of the Ground Zero state:

Ground Zero: This is the starting point of any community, defined by people looking for content, most of which is created by the community’s managers (Example: [CM]Fallen Angel, [GM]Saidin) and/or the managing company (In CF, Suba Games now Z8Games and G4 Box).

Established: The community is on the road to being self-sustaining, with the members creating and maintaining value within the community. Some dependence on the founders is still necessary.

Mature: The community is now self-sustaining, and clear relationships between members have been formed. Users will organized into types of members (influencer, seeker, moderator) and take responsibility for content. Little to no supervision is required by the founders, who become no more than credible participants.

Mitosis: Core community members become distant with new members who don’t share the same values. These core community members seek more as they lean towards specific topics and groups. This is a key part in successful communities, allowing the community to split into smaller groups, thus returning to an Established phase and repeating the process.

The transition from Ground Zero to Established, and the realization of the Mitosis phase are the areas where most organizations struggle. The first comes from the inability to relinquish some control to the community; the second comes from an inability to recognize the natural evolution of the community as it grows. Mitosis within the community is very important to its growth. In fact, a successful community is the cooperative coordination of many smaller communities acting as a whole.
The key with the Crossfire community is to figure out for ourselves at which point in the cycle we are at, so that we can understand what can be done to help improve the overall appeal of the game itself and the game's community. What I believe (100% my opinion and can be debated if you think otherwise) we are going through now is Mitosis, where groups are distancing themselves from those who do not share the same values (New members, old members with different opinions, etc.) Everyone thinks this community is dying and this explains why I'm the loser who thinks it's not :D

We are just going through a difficult phase that will slowly return to a better one over time. It's just a matter of understanding this and getting help to continuously support this community. We will get out eventually if the community wants to. All it takes is a little push, and a lot of patience. Thanks for reading everyone. Until next time :D

Comments

• Nice job Polleus.

This is another good read :D
  • i wanted to just type td;lr but i read it.

nice idea
  • The community was at it's best in beta times. After that it went downhill. The same happend with the game.
  • SYoung wrote: »
    The community was at it's best in beta times. After that it went downhill. The same happend with the game.

Same, it reached "Mitosis" very quickly, then something happened and entered it's own unique phase.

Right now I belive we are a mixture of mitosis and a phase between groundzero and established.
  • With the downhill will arise new members, new groups, new ideas that will create the start of an "uphill" in a sense :D
    The community was at it's best in beta times. After that it went downhill. The same happend with the game.

this .
  • Also, the switch from subagames to z8games brought alot of bad things for some reason. I guess people didn't realize it was the same exact staff until after the damage had been done.
  • Polleus wrote: »
    With the downhill will arise new members, new groups, new ideas that will create the start of an "uphill" in a sense :D

No it will not. Because the new patches are catering to immature players. I seriously doubt the STAR character and bunny ears/backpack are intended for mature players that could actually make a change in the community.

Imo it attracts 12 year olds with raging hormones that only post tl;dr on forums.
  • MwakMunzta wrote: »
    yeah, we're at mitosis :D

Oh dear... it sounds like a disease =p

Does it hurt?
    No it will not. Because the new patches are catering to immature players. I seriously doubt the STAR character and bunny ears/backpack are intended for mature players that could actually make a change in the community.

Imo it attracts 12 year olds with raging hormones that only post tl;dr on forums.

No faith, lol. I'm with Bruce on this one where the thinking is, "Eventually they will run out of stuff and will finally start to give us what we want." No reason why the community has to reflect the entire game. As I've been told, only a small portion of the entire CF population resides on these forums. Why not make it at least somewhat enjoyable and/or beneficial?
    No faith, lol. I'm with Bruce on this one where the thinking is, "Eventually they will run out of stuff and will finally start to give us what we want." No reason why the community has to reflect the entire game. As I've been told, only a small portion of the entire CF population resides on these forums. Why not make it at least somewhat enjoyable and/or beneficial?

Because most people here don't care about improving it. I've given up quite a long time ago. I remember they said that the ZP (SP at the time) mall would be only for cosmetical purposes and I'm pretty sure armor and kriss aren't cosmetical items.

When Bruce says "They will finally start to give US what we want" he means the ones that have been playing for the longest/mature. Unfortunatly that's only a very very small percentage of the community. Since this is a company they will cater to the majority that has more time to play and willing to spend money. Kids.
  • On the topic of content: Z8 is a company, they would rather put something that is going to make them money before helping anybody else.

Adding zp items = more newbs buying zp to purchase them.

Adding a mode such as Mercenary Mode (CS mode) = everyone gets to play it for free and increases competitiveness

Business's choose money before satisfying a small amount of customers.
    Because most people here don't care about improving it. I've given up quite a long time ago. I remember they said that the ZP (SP at the time) mall would be only for cosmetical purposes and I'm pretty sure armor and kriss aren't cosmetical items.

When Bruce says "They will finally start to give US what we want" he means the ones that have been playing for the longest/mature. Unfortunatly that's only a very very small percentage of the community. Since this is a company they will cater to the majority that has more time to play and willing to spend money. Kids.

I do understand where you are coming from. Maybe the focus should turn to improving the competitive side, therefore expanding outwards from there into the rest of the community. This place definitely needs some work, but it's not beyond restoration. Not yet.
    Well, I don't share your views, but I do respect them. I do understand where you are coming from however. Maybe the focus should turn to improving the competitive side, therefore expanding outwards from there into the rest of the community. This place definitely needs some work, but it's not beyond restoration. Not yet.

I'm coming from the competitive side of the community. I've always been around competitive CF. First I started on pugs, then moved to scrim clans and currently league clans. The competitive side of CF is obviously growing and becoming better, I don't deny it. Also this is where most mature players are.

The problem is the forum/public community. Which is the thing we should try to focus the most. Of course competitive community needs to be improved but not as much as the public community.
    I'm coming from the competitive side of the community. I've always been around competitive CF. First I started on pugs, then moved to scrim clans and currently league clans. The competitive side of CF is obviously growing and becoming better, I don't deny it. Also this is where most mature players are.

The problem is the forum/public community. Which is the thing we should try to focus the most. Of course competitive community needs to be improved but not as much as the public community.

Hmm I see. Well, then, how can we (without discussing the quality of the game, as we can't improve the game ourselves) help improve the public community? What can WE do to throw some support in that direction? I'm all for the competitive side. I'm friends with some of you already. I see your point in needing to help the public community more than the competitive side. So, any ideas?
  • Community's founder? I don't understand... the community is a group of unrelated people in the same game, not a company.
  • yeah, were Definitely at mitosis, since were are beginning to split ourselves off from the influx of new BR players.

Lammero wrote: »
    Oh dear... it sounds like a disease =p

Does it hurt?

No, Mitosis is the biological process when a eukaryote cell splits itself in...WAIT IN NOT at SCHOOL!

LOOK IT UP
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitosis
  • C__C wrote: »
    Community's founder? I don't understand... the community is a group of unrelated people in the same game, not a company.

I edited to make it a little more understanding. It's directing to an online community, not a real life community per say.
  • Mitosis, no doubt.

All I am seeing nowadays is useless/blame-Z8 threads or even no-sense ones.

I wasn't present in the Beta forums, unfortunately. Should have been good times, where people started to know each other and the game. Now this game is going "downhill" as Zoom said. Uncompetitive content, SPOPs everywhere, etc.

I remember when this game had only 4 servers: Alpha, Beta (named after "Bravo"), Charlie and Delta. Only Alpha was full.

I understand that staff needs money to sustain the servers/employees. I am not complaining, I was right when I said "This game will become like the Chinese CrossFire - countless servers and nerds everywhere.

When a game expands, the blame this or that threads on the forums immediately appear - That's how the system works. People are not satisfied with the job of approximately 1% of the game community - the staff.

The clubs start also appearing. People get tired of the useless and futile posts/threads of the random users and creat clubs. Why? Because they do know that in their club there are people which are trustworthy. Smart, intelligente, wise persons.

I am sorry if I don't agree with the "Community reconstruction" thing, but that's part of any game in development. People get separated, different interests get on the bowl, etc.

You are wise though. Keep that up, and you shall be awarded sometime.
  • Us3rK wrote: »
    Mitosis, no doubt.

I wasn't present in the Beta forums, unfortunately. Should have been good times, where people started to know each other and the game. Now this game is going "downhill" as Zoom said. Uncompetitive content, SPOPs everywhere, etc.

I remember when this game had only 4 servers: Alpha, Beta (named after "Bravo"), Charlie and Delta. Only Alpha was full.

I understand that staff needs money to sustain the servers/employees. I am not complaining, I was right when I said "This game will become like the Chinese CrossFire - countless servers and nerds everywhere.

When a game expands, the blame this or that threads on the forums immediately appear - That's how the system works. People are not satisfied with the job of approximately 1% of the game community - the staff.

The clubs start also appearing. People get tired of the useless and futile posts/threads of the random users and creat clubs. Why? Because they do know that in their club there are people which are trustworthy. Smart, intelligente, wise persons.

I am sorry if I don't agree with the "Community reconstruction" thing, but that's part of any game in development. People get separated, different interests get on the bowl, etc.

I appreciate the kind words and your take on the subject. I unfortunately missed the Beta period by a long shot :D Hopefully the clubs, such as [oL], will stick around to at least offer their wisdom and experiences to those that are seeking it. It seems to be one of the few constants this game possesses. People grow up, people lose interest, people find other games, it's a part of the whole development. The key is to allow for new people to come in and point them in the right direction. I probably would have never expressed interest in the community if Bruce had not shown me the ropes of this game and community. It was definitely for the better I believe.
  • Us3rK wrote: »
    Mitosis, no doubt.

How come you keep posting and your posting count is still at 3,000?

---

@Thread:
    Haha Us3r i wish the staff were 1% of the community, that being said there'd be 1 staff per each 100 crossfire players!

Also i strongly disagree with your club idea. Let's take the new "fU" group as an example. I have seen many members of them doing things such as posting facepalm pictures or starting flame wars as a response to threads. That being said, club doesn't equal intelligence and maturity, IMO.

And i agree with your last parapragh, community reconstruction is impossible at this point since as we are posting right now there are thousands of kids downloading this cool game that they found on the internet.
  • iDrake wrote: »

---

@Thread:
    Haha Us3r i wish the staff were 1% of the community, that being said there'd be 1 staff per each 100 crossfire players!

Also i strongly disagree with your club idea. Let's take the new "fU" group as an example. I have seen many members of them doing things such as posting facepalm pictures or starting flame wars as a response to threads. That being said, club doesn't equal intelligence and maturity, IMO.

And i agree with your last parapragh, community reconstruction is impossible at this point since as we are posting right now there are thousands of kids downloading this cool game that they found on the internet.

He means mature and intelligent clubs such as oL. oL was an idea Bruce had, he wanted to make the first club in CF (like the ones in CS) to organize the community in little clubs with people that have the same interests. fU was a club that tried to take oL down and failed.

oL's members are chosen, fU was open for everyone to join, which attracted the trolls and the immature part of the community.
    He means mature and intelligent clubs such as oL. oL was an idea Bruce had, he wanted to make the first club in CF (like the ones in CS) to organize the community in little clubs with people that have the same interests. fU was a club that tried to take oL down and failed.

oL's members are chosen, fU was open for everyone to join, which attracted the trolls and the immature part of the community.

fL was chosen but it got flamed to death, so we went undercover :)

Exactly. Just wanted to state that having groups doesn't necessarily mean the community is improving itself.

----

Oh, fU was open for everyone? What kind of "club" is that... Just saying.
    Deadeye or Greycloack making fun of post counts, perhaps xD
    fL was chosen but it got flamed to death, so we went undercover :)

If that club was strong enough, it would have survived.

Troll clubs? That is nothing. I don't even consider them "clubs".
    Exactly. Just wanted to state that having groups doesn't necessarily mean the community is improving itself.

----

Oh, fU was open for everyone? What kind of "club" is that... Just saying.

It wasn't like "yo everyone join". But they aren't nearly as restrictive as oL.
  • fU was a club that tried to take oL down and failed.

You guys mistakened fU with fL.
  • Excludable wrote: »
    You guys mistakened fU with fL.

We never tried taking down oL. Bruce was actually happy another club was forming. fL = Forum Legends, it was going to be very few forumers helping out the community, but just ended up being a thread full of spam and flame due to the name and its goal.

Anyways, it's mainly just me and Hi left trying to help out.
  • In any club in this game, there should be a standard idea or theme that reflects in all of its members. Every club should have the restrictive ideas that [oL] has. Yes, it can be made up of your long time friends. However, it should be made up of those who share the similar beliefs and conduct themselves accordingly on the forums. I believe there should be more of these clubs, but with the current CF population, I don't see that becoming very likely. At least not for a while.