A Guide to Opening Ports

Generally speaking, all communication to and from the internet happens through various 'ports' that exist for either the TCP or UDP protocols. Most firewalls will block almost all of these ports to prevent intrusions into your system. However, Crossfire makes use of three of these ports for the game and anticheat systems. The following guide will show you how to insure that these ports are open, allowing the game full access to the servers. Note that it seems like these blocked ports are responsible for the 'Disconnect Due to Incorrect Map Info' error.

If you are using a router, it most likely has its own firewall. Unfortunately since there are many router manufacturers, its almost impossible for me to create a guide that would offer step-by-step instructions on how to set up these 'port forwards'. Please consult your router manufacturer's website for information on how to accomplish this. The ports you will need to forward are: 10009, 13008 and 16666 (both TCP and UPD just to be safe). If you visit http://portforward.com you can find instructions on how to forward these ports for your router, however Cross Fire has not yet been added to their list of games. Simply pick a random game and replace the values that they have listed with the values listed above.

Even if you use a router, the Windows firewall is most likely active on your computer. The following steps were done on a Windows XP Service Pack 3 system, but Vista and Windows 7 should be nearly identical.

Opening Ports on the Windows Firewall

First, go to Control Panel and open the Security Dialog
guide1x.png
Click on 'Windows Firewall' under 'Manage security settings for:'

Click on the 'exceptions' tab
guide2m.png

Click on the 'Add port' button
guide3.png

Here is where the magic happens
guide4a.png

You will need to add 3 different ports, but each one twice (one for TCP and one for UDP). The name/port/protocols are as follows:

Name: Crossfire
Port: 13008
Protocol: TCP

Name: Xtrap1
Port: 10009

Name: Xtrap2
Port: 16666

Name: Crossfire
Port: 13008
Protocol: UDP

Name: Xtrap1
Port: 10009

Name: Xtrap2
Port: 16666

Once these settings are done, you should be able to play Cross Fire without interruption. Remember, if you use a router you will need to make sure that these same ports are forwarded to your computer. I am occasionally available for help on the Cross Fire IRC channel that is listed in my signature.

Comments

• It should fix the Disconnect Due to Incorrect Map Info error. If you have a router make sure to follow the instructions pertaining to routers though.
  • Wow, i would never expect port forwarding can repair dcs in game..
    Not using windows firewall, but i can at least make some holes in my router :)

Thank you!
  • Thanks for the information. Going to go try now to see if I dc still. :/

EDIT: Dang. Was wishing it was going to work, but didn't work for me. Ah who cares every time I log into Cf I'm just going to have to wait 5 mins in the clan server everytime. :[
  • I turned my firewall off completely which leaves every port open and surprise, it kept happening. How much more proof do we need to show this is a Z8Games problem?
  • Re. Port Forwarding

I'm surprised (NOT) that you entertain people with this.......STUFF!! IT WON'T FIX THE PROBLEM, it's called a bypass and a distraction, and before long you will have many here writing such beautiful things (sarcasm) saying that you haven't fixed the problem at all. I have my windows firewall disabled, I run Norton 360, ports open, Modem has all ports open, Router has all ports open, it still happens, "Disconnected Due To Incorrect Map Info". I have said to a GM that I have to turn off many Windows services to be able to stay connected. DO NOT start turning services off because I said it worked. You could render your computer useless, and have to re-install your operating system because you can't change the settings back. I will not take responsibility for you destroying your computer because you wanted to play the game. It is another 'Not so solved' thread that has been started here. You should close it before people start abusing the heck out of you.
  • It should fix the Disconnect Due to Incorrect Map Info error. If you have a router make sure to follow the instructions pertaining to routers though.

Okay, I have played without any DC due 2 incorrect map info but i did get DC'd once in the lobby, anyways thx4theHelp
  • Disconnecting is a common issue among every video game on the internet.

We are dealing with fixed servers and a huge user base that comes from many different parts of the world. Unfortunately the game is never going to be perfect for everyone.

However, the game, for the large majority of the people, works perfectly fine. The "proof" presented here by coming to the forums still represents a large minority of the people playing.

Solutions like the one above are designed to help more people try things to get their game to work better. If it works for them, awesome. If it doesn't work for you, then we apologize. But it may not be the fault of us, or the game that you are having problems. Because there seems to be thousands of other people not having these issues either.

We ARE working on these issues, we are monitoring our servers, we are working with the developers to better improve the net code and plenty of other options.

Greycloak has kindly taken time out of his day to help us help you and we appreciate him for that. If you don't like his efforts than stay away from these threads. Leave these threads to the people who actually want to use his help and his ideas to work in a positive way to improve their gaming experience.
  • Seems ta be working for me perfectly :D
    GJ grey
  • Saidin, Im not knocking Grey, he is trying to help. More than I can say for "support" who basically says it's my problem that theirs. The servers are fine. I didn't have this problem before the last patch. I changed no settings on my pc and this started after the patch. I turned my firewall off and still get dc'ed. The frustration is high because I bought ZP to buy things but havn't been able to use them.
  • Finally a MOD replied to us for along time. And it was working yesterday i never d/c after 3hours of playing but now i just got d/ced soo i hope it doesn't happen often
  • Nope i work for a day and now it dons't work anymore. D/ced 20 times in an hour. plz fix this in the patch coming up.
  • Nice game you have there Alien Swarm ^^. You play any other steam games? I onyl play that one (not often).
    Nice guide aswell thank you.
  • i am on windows 7 and i cna only add a program so added cf but not sure if this is the same thing^^.
    I also have zone alarm somethign to change there?
  • I want to touch on some things you said Saidin:
    [GM]Saidin wrote: »
    Disconnecting is a common issue among every video game on the internet.
    This is not true. There is a game similar to this one that I have NEVER been dc'ed from. I can play other games as well and not get dc'ed from them.
    We are dealing with fixed servers and a huge user base that comes from many different parts of the world. Unfortunately the game is never going to be perfect for everyone.
    Of course it's not going to be perfect for everyone but when you had no problems before the last patch and this starts happening than there is a problem.
    Solutions like the one above are designed to help more people try things to get their game to work better. If it works for them, awesome. If it doesn't work for you, then we apologize. But it may not be the fault of us, or the game that you are having problems. Because there seems to be thousands of other people not having these issues either.
    Let me explain how I know it's not my problem. Before the last patch this never happened. After the last this patch this started happening. I have changed no settings on my pc, am not behind a router, had my firewall shut off and still didn't work. I have the same internet provider and the same network settings. You all looking for every reason under the sun to blame it on instead of just saying "There is a problem with the game that is affecting some people" is kind of insulting, especially when we spend money on the game and can't use it now.
    We ARE working on these issues, we are monitoring our servers, we are working with the developers to better improve the net code and plenty of other options.
    Exactly who is working on these issues? When I sent a support ticket THEY said there was no problem with the game, that it was my service provider or my network settings. So if support is denying there is a problem how can anybody be working on an imaginary problem?
    Greycloak has kindly taken time out of his day to help us help you and we appreciate him for that. If you don't like his efforts than stay away from these threads. Leave these threads to the people who actually want to use his help and his ideas to work in a positive way to improve their gaming experience
    Nobody is knocking Grey but you as an admin in the "Technical Support" section of the forum telling us that if we don't like his help to just stay away isn't good business. Remember you are a business when you offer items for sale (ZP). We are customers when we buy that item (ZP). As a customer we have a right to question things when they aren't working. So now as a customer I am stuck with items (ZP) that I can't use, support that is of no use and denies there is a problem, and an admin that says if we don't like the support to just stay away. All I have to say to that is WOW!!!
  • Nobody is knocking Grey but you as an admin in the "Technical Support" section of the forum telling us that if we don't like his help to just stay away isn't good business. Remember you are a business when you offer items for sale (ZP). We are customers when we buy that item (ZP). As a customer we have a right to question things when they aren't working. So now as a customer I am stuck with items (ZP) that I can't use, support that is of no use and denies there is a problem, and an admin that says if we don't like the support to just stay away. All I have to say to that is WOW!!!

Imho nobody denies there is a problem, Saidin just said, this problem doesnt occure for everyone.. Thats totally true, i dc only on UK clan server when waiting too long, few friends of mine dont dc at all.. => Problem might be somewhere else.. Ok, last patch made your game worse, still, it can be only bad interactions of patched game on the internet (just guessing, ive got a ping issues after one patch
    , and problem WASNT in-game, new settings in system made it right)..
    If this guide isnt working for you, pitty, but there are people, who solved their issue this way, so dont critizise pls, wait for another one or try on your own ;)
    And what more, flaming here wont help, those guys do all they can to make game working, improved and nice :)
  • Romanoman wrote: »
    Imho nobody denies there is a problem, Saidin just said, this problem doesnt occure for everyone.. Thats totally true, i dc only on UK clan server when waiting too long, few friends of mine dont dc at all.. => Problem might be somewhere else.. Ok, last patch made your game worse, still, it can be only bad interactions of patched game on the internet (just guessing, ive got a ping issues after one patch
    , and problem WASNT in-game, new settings in system made it right)..
    If this guide isnt working for you, pitty, but there are people, who solved their issue this way, so dont critizise pls, wait for another one or try on your own ;)
    And what more, flaming here wont help, those guys do all they can to make game working, improved and nice :)

Since you were so kind to reply to my post let me educate you on what flaming is:
    Flaming (also known as bashing) is hostile and insulting interaction between Internet users.
    My post was neither hostile, insulting, nor bashing. I read the forum rules before I posted and I broke no rules by posting it. Here is the rule they have listed pertaining to flaming:
    Do not Flame each other! Use your manners and common sense. If you disagree with someone, do so gracefully. Additionally do not link to websites such as youfail.org or any other website pertaining to it in identical nature. It will be treated like spam and dealt with accordingly.
    So as you can see I broke no rule because I wasn't flaming, thank you on that point. Well, I was going to make other points but since I don't care about the rest of your post I will just leave it alone.
  • So now on a lighter note, do you have anymore ideas on what I might be able to do Grey? I have tried all the stuff you posted and still are getting dc'ed.
  • thanks gray and z8 for looking into this .
    but I'm still having a problem

mcafee runs windows firewall on my pc
    so I opened my firewall in mcafee gave crossfire and xtrap full access.
    I also added these ports you listed through mcafee and gave them full access double checked the numbers and saved.
    I use game booster to turn off processes.
    the only start up program I run is mcafee and limited services.
    I've tried uninstall/reinstall, restoring my pc back to factory, I turn off real time scanning and firewall when running cf. none of this made a difference with d/c . but improved game play.
    things that I've noticed:
    1.after uninstall/reinstall the first time I try to run cf i get an error i think its "cv client failed to start" I believe it's the auto patch program . Windows will auto fix this, close cf and tell me to reopen it. this solves the "cv error" but not d/c
    2. clan servers don't give me a problem.
    3. didn't d/c before the escape patch
    4. if I manage to stay connected for 5 min , I don't have a d/c problem until the next start up.

I'm using windows 7
    connected directly to DSL modem
    2010 HP desktop 4g ram , plenty of free memory, all drivers updated ,well maintained
    ping test score was, 55 ping 11.87 in .97 out ingame ping 50-60 very stable

any thoughts or help with this ?
    and thanks again for looking into this problem
  • Wait? whats you can complete matches on this game? because after doing all instructions on this one porting both firewall and router I can not complete a single game. This is not my problem it worked fine before escape mode. You must fix this and put in patch or I will not be the only one finding a new fps.

front page:

"[CF]More EXP All weekend!

There's no excuse for not playing Cross Fire! Not even a late patch!"

how do I play crossfire? I repeat HOW DO I PLAY CROSSFIRE?

ok?

I can not play this thing called crossfire because how do I get new weapons with a disconnect screen and a frown.

OK so I tryd all the mirrors any other idea?
  • Ok i forwarded the ports thro my firewall and router but still i d/c not as much as before but now i'm getting to d/cing like last time. wut should i do i'm running on widows vista....anything?
  • Do not know if it's my internet but I'm rarely disconnected!
    It's true believe me
  • DC? change your netprovider! i works everytime :)
  • ionutu05 wrote: »
    DC? change your netprovider! i works everytime :)

yea , well I can use mediacom ,, or I can use mediacom ,, there is also mediacom available in my area . and for about the same money I could switch to mediacom .
    sometimes it pays to live in a backwater lol
    but seriously my internet is very good. I wouldn't change it if I could my ping never goes above 60
  • im Trying it........ hopefully i wont DC.. if i dont DC... I will Kiss You GreyCloak
  • Still having problems when I have done the solutions Greycloak told me. Guess I have to wait for another solution or wait for patch bug/glitch fixes.
  • Still Not Working

Ive seen this post and ive tried it... hoping it work, but sadly it didnt.

I tried letting every part of crossfire pass my firewall and Kaspersky but no luck!

Thanks for the help anyway though.
  • hello,
    my router asks for a LAN server in order to open the ports, what should i put there?
    thank you
This discussion has been closed.