Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why is stripping enemies seen as disrespectful?

Anytime I strip someone's helm off with Cyber Sniper Circlet the player immediately get ****ed off and threatens to do the same or actually "try." I just don't see why it's such a big deal when someone loses their hat. I know they can't swap but shouldn't they have the ability to adapt and keep playing their one character. Instead, they treat it like the end of the world and as a reason to whip out the big guns.

So what do you guys think about gear stripping in battles? Is it really a disrespectful strategy?
    Mother: Saiki
    Father: Knuck

It isn't as big a deal until the enemy starts stripping multiple gears at once and keeping you away from them with something like Crow armor or something really stally.
    I hope Special Forces comes out soon...

Rarely comment on these but why not. I think we all,or at least most of us,lived though the double strip,long stall that was OGp. I don't honestly think anyone enjoyed being on the receiving end. Slows your matches, your stuck to deal with whatever situation your thrown into which normally goes against whatever hero you happened to get caught at. I'm not against it by all means, it's part of the game, so it's expected. Just y'know, suc

I personally don't mind it, but a lot of players seem to rely a lot on switches instead of learning at least a few heroes.
    IGN: Alkavine-Bloodwrithe

First Main: Sorcerer (MAX) || Second Main: Magic Swordsman (MAX) || Third Main: Jaingshi (MAX) || Fourth Main: Warp (0)

Few reasons:

1) You are limiting the player you are stripping by taking off a gear that he/she has. Thus removing the potential for a win.
    And in a lot of cases, some players barely know how to use a hero, so they get mad when something like that happens and they cant swap.

2) You get stripped, and choose to fight but if your winning, the player with all gears can run away from you.
    This happens a lot when I am playing with a friend. Using one hero, I can beat him because I am a better player at fundamentals. But when he starts swapping on me and I use the one hero I am stuck with, if I start winning then he will run around the map, leaving me to chase with Nephillim vs his Hazama, Vampire, etc.

My 2 reasons, call me out if you have a different opinion or I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ImHealthyWC View Post
    Few reasons:

1) You are limiting the player you are stripping by taking off a gear that he/she has. Thus removing the potential for a win.
    And in a lot of cases, some players barely know how to use a hero, so they get mad when something like that happens and they cant swap.

2) You get stripped, and choose to fight but if your winning, the player with all gears can run away from you.
    This happens a lot when I am playing with a friend. Using one hero, I can beat him because I am a better player at fundamentals. But when he starts swapping on me and I use the one hero I am stuck with, if I start winning then he will run around the map, leaving me to chase with Nephillim vs his Hazama, Vampire, etc.

My 2 reasons, call me out if you have a different opinion or I am wrong.
    ^Pretty much this.
    Gear Stripping is such a MASSIVE advantage in a match it's actually ridiculous. Mind you we're referring to Gear Stripping as an early strategy where it matters, not right at the end of a round.

You remove their capbility as your equal. Pretending that they can fight you decently with only one hero is deluding yourself for your own convenience and nothing more. Most heroes aren't capable of handling the meta alone, even meta heroes will be vastly outpaced by the same meta hero that can freely swap. It's simple math really. They would be LESS handicapped to start the round with 50% of their health than to lose their Helm AND the ability to swap for the rest of the round.

If you want to see what I'm talking about...Then gear strip someone in a custom 1v1 where swaps are disabled. They won't really care because all you've done is take away their hat, they're STILL using a hero they intended to for the entire round and only lost 1/4th of their skill arsenal without affecting their normals arsenal.

I don't consider it disrespectful. In fact, I openly do it! With limitations.

As long as they're not being overbearing, I'll leave them be. But if I see someone in a DM being an absolute turd (Uniques, Tao evo, maybe even constant Predator drop tomfoolery) I will take immense pleasure in dropping and denying their gears, especially if it's weapon-first. They feel they're such hotshots; let's see them work it without their crutches. I try to see how many times I can Weapon Strip a particularly irritating person in a single DM while I'm busy goofing off.

Of course then you remember it's a DM, and sooner or later someone unrelated schmuck will smack you around instead of acknowledging the bigger threat you're trying to neutralize. Then they get their gear back. It happens.

In any case, it's good and just punishment in this particular case.
    Last edited by GreatWario; 13-07-17 at 11:38 PM.
    Stouter than an iron burrito...
    Studlier than a snow tire...
    I am... Wario-Man!

idk if its considered disrespectful. its a way to super lock down a players potential. but as heart said, a player may either
    1) not be good with the hero they are locked into
    2) the hero may not be optimal for a 1v1 fight

an example is a player swapping to ice mage or something around those ends. locked into that will result in a hell of a struggle considering the meta. its one of the reasons why a player should consider looking at the opponents heroes (or at least highest level heroes) so you know what to watch for, or prepare gears defensively. I would say very few have that pre-planning mindset. i mean a players general setup they practices in HQ can work, but every opponent is "in theory" different. that one who has pirate hat is waiting for that faint, so you gotta not get fainted.

its a NASTY tactic, but its not disrespectful to me in most cases. i mean barely any player does it anyway, i kind of find it fascinating when a player uses that.

well its the gameplay, you're low HP, you're weakened, you cant keep your panties, I mean gear on, if you're tired and battered, would you be able to resist? some realism in this game. in this case you gatta be beat on more to lose said gear, XD its not at all a bad mechanic, if anything they shouldnt get butthurt over a few lost gears, they arent perma gone XD

You decided to, rather than use a skill to boost yourself or damage the enemy, use one to severely hinder them. They're stuck on a hero and have now lost a gear they were planning on using. You ruined a part of their plans in battle. If they're already just going to use one hero and none of their gears, then you didn't do anything but reduce stats. Their plans are still intact.

It's worse than breaking a combo or sealing/draining gears. Through those, they can initiate their plan another time since you only delayed them. By being stripped, that's no longer possible. Whatever plan they had involving that gear is gone.

If they're already dying at no hp and lose a gear, so what? They likely were expecting to lose it and didn't have plans for it. It possibly could've had some use, but they weren't betting on that. It's not disrespectful then.

Most people are also going to expect you to keep them away from the dropped gear too, so that probably adds to the disrespect they feel (and that extra frustration when it finally disappears).