"

"...Brutal elder dragons clothed in
    flame that spit blazing fire. Teostra
    are of such a fierce and deadly nature
    that the Guild keeps track of their
    movements where possible.
    "

-----

I wanted to do another one of those rotating displays but I really wasn't feeling it, sorry
    But I did want to include the in-game text provided for each of the sets pieces
    And for some of the images, I mimicked the title card fonts for the each weapon's introduction video for Monster Hunter X/Generations
    My execution isn't nearly as good as how Capcom does it, but I think this was a good alternative
    Also, that awesome background was made by Reddit user TickingSticks
    Show them some love
    This is my take on Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate's Kaiser X armor set, and is the sister set to my Mosgharl Armor set
    -----

"...A Charge Blade whose power blasts
    hell's gates off their hinges with the
    Flame Emperor's ire.
    "

The first thing I did when I began working on this project was the Viking Shield
    After I finished my Princess Peach set and played it on my Arthur for a while, I felt it didn't synergize with my Arthur
    I slapped the shield on my Arthur because there weren't any trinkets that I really used with it; I just go in there and take hits
    Since the shield would deflect attacks from the back, it let me stay standing while playing and also gave me the idea to make this Teostra inspired set
    The Teostra's a real pain in the butt of an Elder Dragon, and if you aren't prepared, he'll triple cart you in no time
    Since he has really hard scales that can deflect attacks, why not stick with a trinket with a natural deflect
    It's modeled after the shield in the Teostra's Nova charge blade and also has the winged lion motif, the symbol of Teostra

-----

"...The Flame Emperor's burning sigil.
    At the king of beasts' behest, the
    gates of hell open.
    "

The next thing I worked on was Arthur's sword and shield, the Excalibur, and I based it on the Teostra's Emblem sword and shield
    Here is where what I did to make the design begins to change
    I did the Viking Shield last month and didn't want to work on the rest of the set until I had gotten a permanent Arthur's Crown
    Luckily I did but even then I didn't want to do the rest of the set until I had upgraded my Arthur's Breastplate substantially
    My sword was already at +25
    Anyway, if you look at the gold lining/trim on the Viking Shield, you will see that it's different to the gold on Excalibur and Excalibur's shield
    I felt that the change I decided to go with was a better look for the set as a whole, but I didn't go back and change it on the shield
    This is also when I stopped pulling colors directly from the weapon and armor models provided on Kiranico, and started taking colors from Monster Hunter concept art
    Unfortunately, Excalibur's template uses a mirrored image for the smaller section on the front of the shield, so I couldn't exactly go with the vertical trim designs I had wanted
    Excalibur also, unsurprisingly, isn't a flat tipped blade like Teostra's Emblem, so that was left up to my own artistic inspiration
    There's also a Large Elder Dragon Gem before Excalibur's pommel that I threw in there, since a Large Elder Dragon Gem is needed to make Teostra's Emblem
    You'll see that on the sword and the shield, there are black holes in them and also in the Viking Shield
    These holes are also in-game on the weapons
    Since all of Teostra's weapons are a Blast element, meaning they cause explosions, I imagine they're vents to make the inside of the weapon cool
    Or maybe they explode internally and release the force from the vents

-----

Next came the armor
    Arthur's Breastplate is silly, simply put
    There waist has weird metals that simply hang behind the character and don't serve much of a purpose
    I was pretty excited to work on it though
    When I got to the shoulder pauldrons, I was surprised to be able to work with straight lines and I think they turned out really well
    Clean lines excite me
    I wasn't as excited when I had to do the lines for the waist and the actual chest piece
    Trying to make curved lines stand out in this game is a nightmare, and cleaning up curved lines in this game is an even bigger one

The armor was also a challenge in that in some places I wasn't sure whether it should be a metal, scales, or a hide
    I think I managed to differentiate between the three pretty well, particularly on the pieces that hang behind the armor
    I tried to make it look as similar to the Teostra's tail as possible
    Fur from the Teostra's mane also decorates parts of the design
    Making it look like actual fur was quite the process, but I think it turned out alright

The waist skirt features the winged lion motif as well

The crown was the last thing I did
    Since it isn't curved like the armor in the game, I just made two of the three spokes of the crown look like the Teostra's horns, and the rest a metal

-----

Here's an image of what it looks like in-game

*This image is clickable

And here's what the entire set was based on

Monster Hunter has got to be one of my favorite series of all time, and I have a blast playing it, especially with other hunters
    Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate is on the Nintendo eShop for 75% of its original price
    And the newest Monster Hunter game, Monster Hunter Generations, comes to the West this year
    I look forward to see all of you players in both
    Happy hunting!

*Clicking on the above images will take you to the larger versions of textures
    Suited for Lost Saga's new texture dimensions
    Last edited by Vwrath; 21-06-17 at 06:24 PM. Reason: [1]Added gear textures, per request; [2] Fixed links; [3] Fixed post formatting
    Life and death and love and birth
    And peace and war on the planet Earth
    Is there anything that's worth more
    Than peace and love on the planet Earth?

Still haven't found out, its really dark.

I appreciate not only your nice design and your effort in the post but also the very nice backdrop and description you had in the 2nd image. Nice job :3
    We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents.
    IGN~ Lunya
    Maining: Iljimae & Galaxy Mage

This is one of the most indepth and detailed GD projects I've ever seen in LS. VERY well done.

Quote Originally Posted by aeroninja77 View Post
    I appreciate not only your nice design and your effort in the post but also the very nice backdrop and description you had in the 2nd image. Nice job :3
    Quote Originally Posted by RenaldiRspwn View Post
    This is one of the most indepth and detailed GD projects I've ever seen in LS. VERY well done.

Thank you both!

EXTREMELY beautiful. Your work is inspiring.
    BIG GUY: SWOONIS

Quote Originally Posted by Flashis View Post
    EXTREMELY beautiful. Your work is inspiring.
    Shoot, I dunno about inspiring, but thank you!

Not too bad. The shield has a bit of a misalignment, but that's to be expected with the way that piece juts out of the center. Quality seems alright and fits the game a bit (although, with the possibility of increased texture sizes we may see even more detailed designs. Here's to hoping!)
    IGN: Alkavine-Bloodwrithe

First Main: Sorcerer (MAX) || Second Main: Magic Swordsman (MAX) || Third Main: Jaingshi (MAX) || Fourth Main: Warp (0)

Quote Originally Posted by AlkavineB View Post
    Not too bad. The shield has a bit of a misalignment, but that's to be expected with the way that piece juts out of the center. Quality seems alright and fits the game a bit (although, with the possibility of increased texture sizes we may see even more detailed designs. Here's to hoping!)
    Thanks!
    I'm all for the texture size increase, I'll probably be able to make the lines on the breastplate better

best GD I've seen in a while